It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

nicol HB User
new here

[SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Georgia] Hey,
everybody just wanted to introduce myself my name is Ashley and Im 18, I have a 15 month old little boy who is my angel !! I was diagnosed with add at the age of 3 and bipolar at the age of 14. I have been living with that title now for 4 years . I used to take meds (depakote, adderall)
but I dont cause it make me spaced out and I have a son to take care of . I am also not seeing a psych. cause of insurance. I'm in the process of taking care of that. I also had a VERY rough childhood and am always trying not to be like my mom. My mom is bipolar and a skitsophrinic and she just found out last year. SO she didnt have help for it until then so bascially I grew up with a crazy mom. Which you will learn more about as I continue post. Well that is about it.
thanks,
Ash
ps : I just wanted to add that i loved that newbie thread were it explains to you what type u are cause no one actually sit me down and it explained it to me it was like here u have this here some medicine and when u dont do right here is ur new home a mental institution.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

Good Grief! HB User
Re: new here

Welcome! Nicol,

Congratulations on your baby! What a gift!

And scary responsibility. I fully understand your fear of meds, you want to be 'all there' for your child. (Can you feel the BUT coming?) BUT...your a BP, BP's need meds to ensure that they are 'all there', while it is frustrating to find the RIGHT meds the end result is worth it. I would recommend you to find a Pdoc that will work with you while you get your insurance straightened out. Be VERY frank with your doc, let him/her know right up front that if they put you on a med that spaces you out, you will not continue to take it. But assure him/her that prior to discontinuing any meds you will consult them to give them the option of lowering or changing the med.

You have found a great place here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

nicol HB User

thanks for the warm welcome. I m finding one today in the phonebook told to insurance worker and she said that she is fixing everything !! So this month I will be seeing a psych..

Old 07-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

terrienne HB User

Hi ! Nicol,

I totally agree with Good Grief, in that you DO need to see a BP Doctor !

I am glad to hear that you DID take her seriously, and You are making preparations to find a Doc !

I think you surely have found a great place here, TOO !
I think you will find a lot of people who can truly understand and relate to
what you are going through, and they can offer good advice.
The people here are concerned, helpful and truly caring.

WELCOME ! And, feel free to come here, and ask for help, or just to talk...,
Take Care,
Gee Gee

Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

Hey nicol/ashley,

A warm welcome to the boards.

Hedge ~

Last edited by Hedgehog No 1; 07-29-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
(female)

Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia - check it out online - it is amazing!
jephiner HB User

Hi Nicol,
Welcome to the boards....I am a mom of 2 little boys but way older than you *L* I'm 32 but you won't hold that against me will you? I am waiting to see the psychiatrist too - 5 days and counting! I went off antidepressents because I was so exhausted I would fall asleep when there was no one else around to help me w/ the kids - then I realized I was not just depressed - that I had been asking for more and more AD to try and deal w/ my anger - which only was eliminated when I was so tired I could barely move *sigh* So now I am waiting to get some medication that will also be a mood stablizer. I am really looking forward to it because I struggle every day. So we are a bit on the same page cept I have more wrinkles. I hope you will stick around and maybe we can chat again.
Jen

Old 07-29-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User

Hi ashley, Just wanted to let you know about the doc thing, I haven't seen my doctor for five months because i moved. It has been driving me nuts cause I know how hard it is to find a doc that you can really talk to I've seen 3 since i was sixteen and the last one that i had was so helpful to me. Then i moved so I have to start that process all over again. I'll get to the point make sure when you do find a doc make sure he/she is one that you can talk to. Medication is a big yes for me to and i have a 19 month old i sometimes think that i dont need to be on them but that's just the mania, but everytime i think that, i think of my son and i dont want him to see the bad part of me. So find some good meds and live life happily. To your mom to feel free to post, always like to see somone else that lives with our condition. welcome....

Old 07-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
(female)

nicol HB User

hey,
Thanks again for the warm welcome . I just want to thank everyone. Oh and i havent recently just got of meds I have been off for 3 yrs now and till my son was born I have been all right only cause I havent had to deal with myself till now . I used to occupy myself with other things to try and not think about my problems or to ignore them ( Im great at pushing things in the back of my head). I still try to ignore them and keep myself busy, but at the end of the day when your cleaning is done and u have done everything your still bipolar and do have blow ups and that is something I cant chage , but I can maintaine . I am saying this to you still not excepting my illness. I blame alot of it on my childhood cause my mom didnt tell me how to deal with emotions. Im not saying it is her fault despite the fact of genetics. I t is just that I cant handle emotions and I either dont embrace them or they spiral out of control. My mom didnt notice I had something wrong with me until she just started take he meds for her bipolar and was gaining weight and was depressed and one night she came in the kitchen at about 3 am on a school night to get someting to eat and I was scrubbing the kitchen floor with a toothbrush. That is when they diagnosed me with add for the 3rd time. I didnt get diagnosed with bipolar till I was in foster care and 14 years of age.
well got to go getting tired it is late. thanks again for the warm welcome.
ps psych appt. sept 22 yeah!!

Old 07-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
(female)

snapdragon9 HB User

Hi Nicol,

This is my first time here too, from all the friendly posts I think we can find support here.

I'm glad I finally joined. I'll tell you all more later.

good luck!

Snap

Closed Thread