It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
(female)

echo505 HB User
major depression.......new med help???

I was diagnosed with bipolar, depression, OCD, panic, and depersonalization when I was 16, now 37. I never accepted the diagnosis or took the meds until my early 30's so you can say my life was a real mess for many many years. Anyways, I have been on everything, xanax, klonopin, wellbutrin for anxiety; trazadone, prozac, celexa, effexor for depression; zyprexa, depakote, abilify and now geodon for the depression and paranoia. I loved the abilify as far it gave me energy but I couldn't concentrate on it and nervous. Now I am on geodon and from I am hearing this is not good for depression. I try to consider myself somewhat stable now the mania hardly comes but the depression is always there. I currently take klonopin, depakote, prozac and now geodon. If this med doesn't work I am starting to think nothing is left. Any suggestions to give my dr. to alleviate the depression? Thanks

Old 07-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

Good Grief! HB User
Re: major depression.......new med help???

WOW!

You and I are pretty aligned. I too learned as a teen and dinied til my 30's!

I have also taken every pill you listed with the exception of prozac and abilify. Geodon was not my cuppa tea. But my reactions to meds are not always expected.
Med Story: When i was in the hospital they gave me some Ambien to help me sleep. At about 3 in the morning they had to restrain me. Ambien was like a shot o'pure uncontrolable energy. I did put up a good fight though. It took 4 people to corner me, 3 to carry me and 4 to put the restraints on!
It is a VERY frustrating process to find the right medicinal cocktail to fit our individual conditions. But don't GIVE UP! Believe me, when they get it right, you will be so relieved. I took Depakote for the longest time and was so frustrated cause NOTHING was better. So they Finally tried lithium, even with my thyroid condition. That's what finally did the trick for me! It keeps me from sliding into those three month depressions sprinkled with manic anger fitz! So...have they tried lithium? If not, Why?

Hang in there Echo! It's worth it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
(female)

echo505 HB User

thanks for the reply good grief. Yeah, denial was great because when I was maniac I felt so good and didn't want it to stop. Now that I am older I think I am more depressive than manic. THe depakote helps but I don't take what is prescribed otherwise I would be a zombie. As far as lithium, I tried it for maybe two days and got real sick. That scared me away from it and now when doc's ask I sorta lie and say I tried it for months and it didn't work. I have just heard real bad stuff about it and didn't want to stick it out. I feel I'm better, I haven't been hospitalized in over 5 years but now it is the depression that just lingers and I just feel so blaah all the time. Can I ask if you take an antidepressant? So far only prozac has helped but it is minimal.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
(female)

Good Grief! HB User

We become afraid and hyperprotective about certain meds. I would highly recommend that you come clean about the 2 days vs several months. Maybe there is another variation that they could give you. Also does your doc kow that your taking the depakote at your comfort level rather than the prescribed level?

Your doc is PAID to work FOR you. Ultimatly YOU are in control of what he/she may or may not do. You need to be blunt and up front with them. They need to KNOW everything about how you REALLY feel on a med. It took me a little more than 2 years with the pdocs before i started telling THEM what I would and would NOT do. Once they were in MY loop we started to make some progress. Of couurse for me with so many different docs (I move alot) i got pretty sick and tired of each new doc trying the same old thing again with, so I stopped ***** footin' around with them. i tell them right up front " I will NEVER be an easy patient. I want meds to control my BP but will NOT take meds that take AWAY from what little quality of life I have left" I have had 3 maybe 4 docs refuse to treat me because of that, but thats OK! If they can't handle my HONESTY then they certainly couldn't handle my BP!!!

Keep pluggin away, your on the right path!!

Old 07-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
(female)

*Mood Ring* HB User

Yea they need to stop giving you so many damn pills. Anyhow my episodes got sooo bad they have me on like 3 diff kinds. Bad move. Im currantly on Zoloft seems to work surprisingly well.

Closed Thread