It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Can Antidepressants Contribute To Pre-diabetes?

I'm really scared. I have enough going on in my life without having pre-diabetes.

I gained close to 50 lbs. on my meds.

My glucose level is usually 97. I found out today it's 102.

If I lose the weight can I stop this?

I don't even know what to put in my mouth--I'm so scared the glucose will go up.

Anyone have a similiar experience with meds and gaining weight, and then higher glucose levels?

I was in the darkness of depression when I went on my meds. They saved my life.

I don't understand...now this...

Thank you,

Salty

Old 08-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: Can Antidepressants Contribute To Pre-diabetes?

You bet the ominous key is the weight gain. I'm on weight watchers (this is not an advertisement just a summary of my experience). I'm bring the weight down and thusly the glucose levels, cause like you I need the meds too or I go back into the abyss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reesie, thank you for responding. Ever since I found out the lab results, I have started eating a very healthy diet.

I crave sweets like crazy, but my health is more important.

I hope through diet and exercise, I can bring my glucose level down, too.

Good luck to you,

Salty

Old 08-05-2005, 05:01 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

madmac HB User

102? is that it? I'm a type 1 diab, have been 23 years. Normal bllod sugars are 80-120 for gen pop. diabs fluctuate, under 180 was considered ok at one time. Of course, depression and hypomania mean you either can't take care of your self, or you don't care, you're a superman who can survive on 4 hours sleep, smokes and sugared coffee and diabetic complications won't get you (though BS might be 300+). The number to watch though, is your A1c- that tells you long term control for a diab, and your body's ability to control if not diab.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, Madmac...102, my doctors made me take it twice and also didn't take it lightly.

It's always been 97 for as long as I can remember.

Maybe they freaked out because I'm 45 pounds overweight (lost 5 since they told me) and it was my FASTING bs.

Normal now stops at 99 according to most sites and lab slips.

I'm stable on meds, not depressed and haven't had a manic episode for 20 years.

I need all the sleep I can get, don't smoke, don't drink coffee and will barely drink alcohol now.

A variety of antidepressants contributed to my 50 lb. weight gain. It seems much harder to get the weight off while they are in your system.

Thanks for the hint about A1c, but I can't find that anywhere on the 4 pages of bloodwork. I didn't see anything even close to that.

I appreciate your post, Madmac.

Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac
102? is that it? I'm a type 1 diab, have been 23 years. Normal bllod sugars are 80-120 for gen pop. diabs fluctuate, under 180 was considered ok at one time. Of course, depression and hypomania mean you either can't take care of your self, or you don't care, you're a superman who can survive on 4 hours sleep, smokes and sugared coffee and diabetic complications won't get you (though BS might be 300+). The number to watch though, is your A1c- that tells you long term control for a diab, and your body's ability to control if not diab.

Closed Thread