It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

chupa HB User
Exclamation best mood stabilizer?

my doc thinks i may need a mood stabilizer,and i totally agree.i feel like crap,my mind races,i am more angry and irritible than u can imagine,and i feel like jumping out of my skin!a few months ago i switched from luvox to lexapro,which was a big mistake,that lexapro has made me feel manic ever since.now see,i never actually was diagnosed with bp,just ocd,panic disorder and adhd.well,i am weaning off that horrible stuff and going on to zoloft(have been on it 4 days) but im feeling like im jumping out of my skin,what do i do??????!!!!!!!! whats the best stabilizer(safest,most effective).i have heard that ssri's can cause people to feel like this,so i wonder if its just side effects or its making me actually bp(or,at least making it show itself)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User
Re: best mood stabilizer?

I was on every depression pill imaginable and they all just made me worse...... Then me and my doc agreed that i was bp i've had it for 3 yrs. and i've been on lithium wellbutrin and klonipin ever since i have been lucky cause the lithium helped on the first go around..... I've had to up the mg's a couple of times but lithium is a really good stabilizer and wellbutrin helps with the depression side of things...... I was also diagnosed with major depression about 6 years ago and until i got put on mood stabilizers i felt the same way you do...... one minute i would be crying and the next minute i would be cracking up at something so stupid........ I have bipolar 1 ....... maybe you should talk to your doc about lith. cause it worked for me.... hope i could help....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

chupa HB User

thanx for the reply.also,,my sis AND bro have both been on lithium,so maybe i will ask my doc about it

Old 08-05-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
(female)

angelkiera HB User

my psych put me on lamictal.. its helped me alot it seems.. before he diagnosed me bipolar the last hospital i was in had me on celexa and respirdal but im about to go off of celexa and not too much after i hope to be able to go of of risperdal as well

Old 08-06-2005, 02:03 AM   #5
(male)

boricuaitaliano HB User
Wink Re: best mood stabilizer?

I am currently taking Lithium and lamictal, which seem to work fine but my p doc wants me to off the lithium since they are both mood stablelizers. So far so good despite I have been feeling down lately but I think it has something to do with the weather. I was told some people have season bipolar, wintertime people become sadder and summer people become happy. In my case it's the oppisite..Love the cold winter and hate the hot summer.

I was on:

Depakote = weight gain C+
Trileptal = Major Acne and rash on neck F
Seroquel = Gained 25lbs & cholesterol went up C+
Geodon = Broke out in Hives on my scalp and face D-
Lithium = Water retention and lil weigh gain but nothing to worry about A+
lamictal = Started of with rashes on my arms and hands but it went away A+(Hope I spelled the medication names right )

Just because I gave the above meds ratings doesnít mean it would give you the same reactions, Remember what may not work for me may work for you. In my case I have major sleeping issues so these meads are suppose to help with my sleep. The only one that worked was seroquel but since I care so much about gaining weight I stopped it.

I hope you find youíre med and I know it's hard and takes time. "Trial and error"

Old 08-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
(female)

gillcm HB User

OH I need something more than I am getting, I am on citolopram known as elopram drops ssri in Italy where i now live, I have some disorder recurring every two monthsor thereabouts. preceeded by grim derpession ( I am bi polar) then suddenly a total panic set in of raging agitated anxiety, terrified about every thing and extrmely depressed too I end up hiding away usually for up to two weeks earlry last year for nearly two months. Definalty feel so bad I would take anything when it happens and have jkust gone through another bout it is only under control to some extent now. I had not been taking anything before the bout started I only took the elopram again in the hope that is would stop it. Firstof all I want to know what definition it falls under.
I have to get into an Italian psychiatrist again ( it costs) and get some meds. they seem to look to me to know what to take, and I dont really know perhaps some of you do!!!!!

Old 08-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #7

rubindj HB User

Lithium is probably the best if you can tolerate it -- espcially if both your siblings are on it successfully. The downside of it is that you have to have bloodwork fairly regularly (to check Li levels and thyroid). In addition, it can destroy your thyroid over time (not a huge issue, but will have to take synthroid). That being said, it is the only one proven to prevent suicidal behavior in bipolars, and seems to be the best at helping people with depressive issues.

One benefit of Li is that it is extremely cheap. Its cost is less than my generic copay at my drugstore. This is in comparison to something like Lamictal or Seroquel which can be 2-400 per month.

Closed Thread