It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
(male)

chevelle67 HB User
Bipolar and Substance abuse?

I have had numerous substance abuse problems in my life, the last one being perscription painpills. I was told while in treatment that I may be Bipolar and my Primary care Physician has also suggested that as well. I have had many issues with depression and AD meds dont work. So i would abuse painpills to "slowdown" my thoughts. I have also wrestled with insomnia my whole life, haveing to take prescription sleeping pills to fall asleep, without them I could not shut off my brain. I am just looking to see if this is familiar to anyone or am I alone with this? Thank you for your time.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

reesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB Userreesie HB User
Re: Bipolar and Substance abuse?

Yes, Very familiar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2005, 03:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

you are not alone. My wife has issues with drinking. The pills could be the same.

Mudhound

Old 08-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

restless_heart HB User

D*****atley not alone...Same here major substance abues

Old 08-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #5
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User

Ok chevelle I don't think your alone at all on this one.... I think the reason we used to or do do it is to escape from what we feel and how we think..... but i think you knew that all ready......... Anyway, just to let you know yes I'm guilty to!!!!

Jessi!!

Old 08-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
(male)

klonoklown HB User

And that makes another, been a heavy marijuana smoker for 4 yrs now, recently been trying to slow that habit down

Old 08-09-2005, 04:26 AM   #7
(female)

kimber lee HB User

if the doctors are certain about the diagnosis of possible bipolar, then check it out, pain pills are not the answer to slow down you brain activity, the doctores can prescribe some thing non addictive that accually works where inteneded, it may take some time to get a handle on it but be patient.May i ask how much exercise you get, its very important to get some physical activity. that will slow you down at night and make you tired, from my experience thats helped me. but pain medications and substance abuse can mimic bipolar, try if you will to get off the drugs and start over to see if you are infact bipolar or just an addict, , im not saying to try it, but take it into concideration with a doctors help and advice, good luck kimber lee

Old 08-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
(female)

princess2poles HB User

understand completely... after husband walked out in november i had a serious relationship with Beringer. whether it is pills, pot, or spirits.. it's all the same

good luck with finding out and getting it under control

jen

Old 08-14-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
(female)

singsong HB User

I believe I read a statistic that alcoholics/addicts are 60% of the time BP...

Old 08-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

RagingRobin HB User

I have also struggled with substance abuse pretty much my whole life. Used to be a major pothead. Then I switched to alcohol and I admit I still struggle with that one. Just trying to take it day by day now and so far so good. Tried crank a few times and man, did it ever whack me out! The last time it made me cycle up and down so bad I thought I was going completely out of my mind, so no more of that for me!!! I'm finally realizing that the things we use to try to mask our pain only magnify it and we end up worse off than before and that's no good at all. So no, u are definately not alone on that one. Seems to be pretty common.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
(female)

dws1119 HB User

This is what my psych MD says about this issue---99% of people who suffer from a history of substance abuse, once they are clean, that is when the MI shows up. We use the substances to self medicate because something is not right.

Diane

Old 08-22-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
(female)

katkat01 HB User

im a serious pothead....i cant take more than a few days without it and its been that way for a few years now....i wish i could stop but it makes me feel so much better and without it i get kinda depressed....
im not sure if it affects my actual bp disorder....im sure it does. doesnt that suck that, not only are we crazy but we are addicted to something or another...!

Old 08-22-2005, 10:33 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I've read that alot of chemical use can lead to abnormal brain function such as mood disorder, sleep issues, etc. and even after quitting some of it can linger for awhile. It doesn't even have to be an illegal substance; a woman I know started having bi-polar(non-previously) symptoms while taking a prescription weight loss pill.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #14
(female)

katkat01 HB User

my doctor told me the same thing....

Old 08-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #15

prozack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
I've read that alot of chemical use can lead to abnormal brain function such as mood disorder, sleep issues, etc. and even after quitting some of it can linger for awhile. It doesn't even have to be an illegal substance; a woman I know started having bi-polar(non-previously) symptoms while taking a prescription weight loss pill.
I have researched it a bit and also asked my pdoc about it .He went into detail.A very large percentage of people who commit suicide are substance abusers and it can possibly make you lose your mind.
Pot releases serotonin and that gives you the really good mood when you smoke it.The meds are adjusting serotonin levels as well.The conflict of the two can cause major brain function problems.This happens when you stop smoking it .You won't notice if you keep smoking continuously.
I used to smoke pot on and off.When I would quit it would trigger severe mood problems and deep depression.This had happened before and I tried to dismiss it but tracing my steps showed that each time I stopped smoking the results were the same.
I have been smoke free for 5months and have decided to quit for good. The effects are still lingering and I hope that no permanent damage has been done.Time will tell.
Just my personal experience
Mike

Closed Thread