It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

kittyy HB User
overeating

aaahhh I keep slipping ,on a usual day I eat very well and I am thin , then igo through phases of just straight up binge eating ( no vomiting , i usally pass out) where I will gain like 10 pounds in like a week , Then I get crazy with dieting and get back to my usual 110-112 pounds, I can't keep doing this its driving me crazy, my Doc. put me on topamax and while i was on it i got a uti and thought i was having crazy side effects so i stoppped taking it , I am going to see him tomorow and asking to go back on it .

Anyone every go through this or have been put on any meds to stop overeating ? let me know. ( needed to vent)

Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User
Re: overeating

Kitty...

Your pdoc put you on the Topomax because it is also used to treat bulimics for binge eating. I am both bipolar and have an eating disorder (bulimic/anorexic). The Topamax will cause UTI's or kidney infections if you don't drink enough water with the medicine. Drink 8 glasses of water a day to prevent hydration. That is very important, especially when you are first taking the drug so your body can adjust to the medicine, and do it daily to flush out the toxins each day.

Also, Topamax can cause weight loss in a lot of people. Your pdoc probably knows this and is watching you about this. If you do begin to lose weight you must tell him/her this so they can monitor your weight and put you on a weight neutral drug to off set this Topamax from causing you to lose a lot of weight. Or have you visit a nutritionist so you don't lose too much weight. It caused me to slip into my ED and I became anorexic and almost needed to enter the hospital due to it, but got things cleared up before that happened, then got put on Abilify and it caused me to regain weight- 18 pounds of it.... and now I'm not liking where my weight is at (grrr). Oh well. Anyway... that is beside the point. The Topamax has helped me by about 90% with my binging, and I'm not kidding. That much because I used to binge 3-4 times/day and I only binge now if I have a stressful thing happen (trigger) in my life occur. It really does help a lot of bulimics. If it doesn't work for you, there are other meds out there that help binge eating disorders that the pdoc can prescribe so be as honest as possible with yourself and the doctor.

And, by all means.... take the medicine regularly. Do NOT SKIP the medicine. It will take about a month for you to really notice a change in your eating habits to stop, and they might have to increase the dosage some. Only you know what is working for you as you are in control of the meds by taking them.

Please take care of yourself. I know what you are going through, and I know how scary it is to have an eating disorder and frustrating as well. The weight gaining each week and ups/downs of it all is so upsetting. Hang in there!!

Hugs,

Coffeegirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 06:46 AM   #3
(female)

kittyy HB User

coffeegirl~ thank you so much for your response , that has just made me feel so much better! ~ kittyy

Old 08-09-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
(female)

princess2poles HB User

kitty,

everyone needs to vent sometime.....that is what we are here for.
i have the opposite issue with weight, so unfortunately i don't know about your exact problem...but i am here to listen.

jen

Last edited by princess2poles; 08-09-2005 at 07:19 AM.

Closed Thread