It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 AM   #1

Girliegirl HB User
What is hospitalization like?

I have a good friend who was hospitalized over the weekend after assaulting law enforcement and several of my friends. This is the second time in five years that she has been hospitalized, and we think that she might be a patient for an extended period of time.

Our friends are wanting to send her a care package, but we are wondering how she might be spending her days. If anyone can describe what an extended hospital stay is like (60+ days), it would be very helpful. We are trying to figure out how we can be supportive. Thanks

Old 08-09-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
(female)

beautifulfary HB User
Re: What is hospitalization like?

When my husband was in the hospital for a few weeks, someone always tried to visit. And I believe family can get you a pass for the patient to leave, ONLY if they are healthy enough. They do alot of group sessions, and you have to be careful what you take them to keep. You cant bring anything that they can hurt themselves or anyone else with. I would take her some books, or word puzzels. I am sure they can get bored. I know my husband liked for me to write to him. These are some ideas. I hope it helps!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

Sophia85 HB User

I was only in the hospital for a short time but I liked when my family brought me art supplies and snacks (but nothign with caffeine in it as it is banned in most facilities).

Old 08-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

princess2poles HB User

no new ideas from the above post... just wanted to say that you are one awesome friend to seek out advice on what to bring or what the hospital stay is like.

princess j

Old 08-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

My husband loves his music so I took him a battery operated cd player radio. He couldn't have cd's until he was off of suicide watch but could listen to the radio. No cords, no headphones with cords, nothing they can cut with or stab with. Some places won't let them have pencils or anything like that.
My poor hubby wanted his mp3 player so bad! His doctor even said he could have it, not knowing what it was and that it required headphones. Geez, broke his heart.
Nodi

Old 08-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

When I was hospitalized for the longest time(two months), I enjoyed books, and music most. We were allowed to get soda in plastic bottles-if we earned it, I liked that too.
My favorite thing was visitors, my friends and family, who came to see me on my birthday and brought cake and ice cream for the entire unit!!

Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

I made sure the staff had treats at the hosp that my wife was put into. Her and the whole unit were gifted with sweets

Mudhound

Old 08-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

RagingRobin HB User

Wow! U must be a very special person. It's wonderful that you're trying so hard to find ways to comfort your friend during such a tough time in her life!

I recently had a similar situation. Didn't assualt the officer, but I flipped out on my best friend of 16 yrs in public after consuming who knows how much alcohol. Ended up spending the night in jail. She doesn't understand my illness and now she and her new friends that were there think I'm a lunatic. She no longer wants anything to do w/me, which is very difficult to accept.

So I commend u for your devotion to your friend. Way to go...that's what it's all about!

Robin

P.S.
Sorry I don't have any suggestions for your care package, as I've never been hospitalized. But I'm sure she will love anything that shows how much u care.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
(female)

dws1119 HB User
Talking Re: What is hospitalization like?

I echo the sentiment of the rest of the posters. You are truly an unique friend.

I would like to offer a few suggestions. I spent a toltal of 8 mths hosptialized. Visiting is upmost in importance. I have no doubt you will do this. Each facility is different so call and speak with someone about what they will allow. As far a snacks go, it depends on the dietary restrictions they may have. I am diabetic, so my family was not allowed to bring snacks to me. I smoked then, so they brought cigarettes (no lighters or matches allowed). I like to read so they brought books and magazines. There is not too much free time at first, except on weekends. You are too busy with therapy, classes, rec therapy, exercise, etc.

What I enjoyed the most was some of my personal things, an afghan for my bed and a couple stuffed animals (hospitals are so impersonal) . Radios or CD players were not allowed on my unit. A phone card was nice also since my family was a long distance call. It was cheaper than calling collect. Personal care items are also nice, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, conditioner, hair brush, comb, make-up. You get the idea.

From someone who has been there, just knowing you are not thrown away or forgotten about really helps.

Diane

Closed Thread