It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
(male)

skpgh152 HB User
Question type two bipolar....

hi
i am 15 years old and i have been diagnosed with type two bipolar disorder (or type two manic depression)-this is uncommon i am told but it basically means i show all the symptoms of major depression but when i am put on certain types of antidepressants i develop mania. anyone else heard of or have this? or have experienced similar reactions to antidepressants?

Old 08-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: type two bipolar....

Technically, if you meet the criteria for major depressive disorder but haven't experienced mania until you were on anti-depressants, you really have type III bipolar disorder. Type III is when a person develops bipolar disorder after exhibiting manic-like symptoms while on an anti-depressant. Your bipolar disorder most likely resembles a person who has type II bipolar disorder who developed their mania on their own without any previous use of anti-depressants: you only have hypomania and never switch into full-blown mania. However, you actually could be bipolar I, but after recognizing that something was wrong after taking the medication, your doctor was able to stop the mania before it could progress past hypomania. The thing about type III bipolar disorder is that a person is usually genetically predisposed to bipolar disorder in the first place and may have developed it later in life. For you, the anti-depressant just triggered the onset. That's the thing about type III bipolar disorder- you sometimes can't tell if you're really a bipolar I or II or if you would have ever developed mania in the first place had you not taken the anti-depressant... If you have any questions, feel free to ask! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

The Following User Says Thank You to GatsbyLuvr1920 For This Useful Post:
sweetonlyme (07-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia - check it out online - it is amazing!
jephiner HB User

Hi There,
I just got diagnosed w/ bipolar 2 also ..... I started lithium yesterday. I can say that my hypomania seemed stronger after I had taken anti depressants but looking back - I can see symptoms way earlier. I am so happy you have been diagnosed so early. I would love to chat any time you would like.
Jen

Old 08-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
(male)

skpgh152 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephiner
Hi There,
I just got diagnosed w/ bipolar 2 also ..... I started lithium yesterday. I can say that my hypomania seemed stronger after I had taken anti depressants but looking back - I can see symptoms way earlier. I am so happy you have been diagnosed so early. I would love to chat any time you would like.
Jen
they had me on lexapro and that's when i developed mania(spending almost $200 buying things off ebay, staying up all night reading, switching from project to project with no concentration, walking places around 3 or 4 miles away in the middle of the night, etc)...when they realized something was wrong my doctor talked about keeping up the lexapro but adding in a mood stabilizer as well but eventually he decided to start me on wellbutrin which isn't an SSRI like lexapro..i've been on it for four days and i'm not sure how i feel yet

Old 08-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
(female)

Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia - check it out online - it is amazing!
jephiner HB User

Are you still on the mood stabilizer as well? I know that whole "what am I feeling anyhow" game...I hate it. I have been on lithium and I feel a marked improvement in 2 days and it is such a low dose (300 mg) that I think it may be a placebo effect. I am in the same boat...waiting to see how I feel and hoping that this is the ticket. I have decided I HATE e-bay! I have spent so much money w/ ebay it is crazy, and then decided to sell stuff and spent a whole lot of money on that.....maybe they just made it just to torture bipolar people . Good news is that now that that I have been diagnosed I can at least recognize where those thought processes are going. I don't know what I am going to do w/ all the s&(t I already have but at least I won't get any more! Keep me posted on how you are doing.
xo
Jen

Old 08-13-2005, 12:21 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

madmac HB User

I think you are very lucky to have a diagnosis at an early age, but old enough to show maturity. I was diagnosed diabetic at 12, but it has become apparent to even the thickest of diab doctors and nurses that at this age, patients don't belive any of the fall-out of poor control will get them, after all, they are young teenagers and nothing will kill them! By 20, when I was mature enough to be running my own business, I had become st in my ways about controlling, or not controlloing my diabetes. Point is, if you're gonna get something for life, get it before it ruins your life, but when you're old enough to meet it with some maturity.

Second point: I was always a high achiever, university, business, hands on hobbies (a very long list of becomeing very proficient in things), but each was chucked away, and my wife couldn't put up with my mood swings- so now I have nothing. If I'd been diagnosed earlier, maybe I would not have lost so much and frightened so many during depression and mania

Good luck, join a support group

Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #7

Zagboo HB User

I'm BP II also. I wasn't diagnosed until about my mid 30's but I wasn't well medicated until I was about 39 (a couple years ago). I'm now on Lithium + a number of other things.

I don't know statistics or anything, but I don't think BP II is all that rare. The way I see things, its a continuum between BP I and BP II. Think of it this way, we have moods that go up and down, up and down over time. Now if we measured moods on a scale from -10 to 10, where 0 was "normal", mine might go between -5 when I'm depressed, and 1 when I'm "up". Maybe yours go from -7 to 0... just an example... We're both considered BP II. But what If I went from -3 to +3? The range is the same as if I was going from -5 to +1, right? But technically wouldn't that be BP I? My point is, its not totally cut and dried.

Does that make any sense?

Now as far as BP III, there's a news caster here in the US named Jane Pauley who has come out about having BP III a year or so ago. She was put on some cortisone med I think for allergies maybe(?) and basically went manic on it as I understand it. If I remember right, the cortisone triggered something, and she now has BP permanently - not something that stopped after she stopped the meds.

Anyway, the other advice you've been given is really good. Do what your doc says, but be willing to ask him/her any questions you have. Be observant about how you're feeling, listen to those around you (family) who may be able to see changes in your moods that you can't.

Z

Old 08-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zagboo- skpgh's problem is the same as Jane Pauley's, but far more common. Anti-depressants are notorious for causing mania in people who were probably predisposed to bipolar disorder in the first place; on every single list of side effects, it mentions that a person who has manic symptoms should see their doctor right away to discontinue the medicine. Just like Jane Pauley, skpgh has developed bipolar III and will have to treat his bipolar II-like symptoms forever because of taking the medication that induced the mania, regardless whether or not he continues to take that specific anti-depressant in addition to a mood stabilizer. Even though he's experiencing symptoms likened to bipolar II, he's still classified as "bipolar III," because of how the disorder began to manifest itself. Still, people who are bipolar III don't have different symptoms- they're either bipolar I or II, but are just put into a separate category to warn the doctor of how the illness began. Just wanted to clear it up! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-14-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #9

Zagboo HB User

Gatsby,
I had kind of assumed that BP III was a permanent condition where without treatment you would be having ups and downs forever once its started, but that the antidepressant induced mania was temporary, in that you stop the antidepressants and the mania calms down. Is this not the case?

thanks

Z

Old 08-15-2005, 04:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

No. When a person has bipolar III, they have symptoms of normal bipolar disorder for their whole life. Without the anti-depressant, they will still become manic without some sort of mood stabilizer. (Having little ups and downs all the time without it turning into major depression or even hypomania would be cyclothymia.) It's the same as when a person develops panic disorder after taking some illegal drug: they had a panic attack every time that they smoked pot or took cocaine, but when they stop using, they'll continue having the unexpected panic attacks. Bipolar III is sort of like a brain injury- something triggers the illness to begin, but once the underlying condition is cleared up (such as a stroke or, in this case, taking an anti-depressant), the mental illness is still there, and must be continued to be treated. The way that bipolar disorder is ranked is really confusing. Most people only know about bipolar I and II, but there's actually six categories of bipolar disorder! You know what bipolar I, II, and III are, so I'll skip to number four. Bipolar IV is cyclothymia, which I described above, bipolar V is when a person with a strong genetic background of bipolar disorder only has major depression, but they don't want to rule out bipolar disorder as of yet because there's a very high chance that the person may become manic due to the many family members who are bipolar, and bipolar VI is when a person has only had manic episodes and never has had depression. (I've never really heard of this. I don't know if it's possible to only become manic without having some sort of depressive episode; I think this category refers to a person whose first and only episode was manic, but they were put on medication before they ever were able to become depressed.) As you can see, bipolar III, V, and VI are similar in one respect: they help psychiatrists know that the person didn't develop bipolar disorder in the typical way (or maybe not at all, as seen in bipolar V), but the symptoms are the same as in bipolar I and II. People with bipolar III usually have a strong genetic connection for bipolar disorder like people with bipolar V. The mystery is, that had they not taken the medication for their depression, would they have ever become manic? It seems that people with bipolar III are really just those with bipolar V until they take the anti-depressant that flips their switch to mania... I hope this helped, and if you have any questions (because I know it can be confusing), let me know!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-15-2005 at 04:46 AM.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #11
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User

You are all so knowledgeable, can you help me? I was diagnosed with post partum depression and put on prozac which apparently made me manic. my current pdoc has diagnosed me bipolar 2 and I am on lithium and lamictal. He seems to think that I have a 50-50 shot of getting off meds in a year. But were I to have any type of episode in the future to stay away from anti-ds and get something else. Just curious what you all think. Thanks

Old 08-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You don't have to stay away from anti-depressants in the future if you're currently using them now, but NEVER take an anti-depressant by itself! You must always have a mood stabilizer. Some people only need lithium or Depakote and others need a mood stabilizer and an anti-psychotic and still others need a mood stabilizer and an anti-depressant. Everyone who has diagnosed bipolar disorder should avoid taking anti-depressants by themselves in order to prevent induced mania, but if you're doing fine on anti-depressants now in addition to an anti-manic agent, I wouldn't see any problem with you taking it again if need be. Hope this helped!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #13
(female)

LLC15 HB User

I have met a person with bipolar VI (Mania only?) but you say that this is only with anti-depressants? This person did not have any anti dep but she could have hid her depression b/c people expected her to be up all the time. I have never heard of the medicated induction of bipolar, and question if the person placed on anti-depr really needed the anti-depre from the beginning or just someone to talk to. I do believe that people have this, but could it be that people with a family history of bipolar who have slight down times really need medicated or docs being overly zealous to prescribe due to fear of lawsuits. EVERYONE has their mood swings, and being a product of a bipolar environment myself I see my own tendency to act like the people in my family who are bipolar during my moody times, but I never see cycles or any other symptoms. Could it also be that some people are just acting as they learned in a subconcious or natural reactive way? Not to be argumentative but we are all a product of our environments, whether it be in behaving like the people who raised us or by being exact opposite of who raised us. Do you know what I mean?

Old 08-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

LLC15- I didn't say that bipolar VI, mania only, was caused by anti-depressants. What I meant was that, I've never heard if it was possible or not to only have mania. Either it is very possible or your friend hasn't yet had a depressive episode yet, or she was put on medication after several instances of mania, before she ever had time to develop depression. I hope this is more clear.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-18-2005 at 01:58 PM.

Closed Thread