It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
(female)

FrmlyMidwestGrl HB User
Trileptal

I've been taking Celexa for about 2 years and started Trileptal about a year ago after being diagnosed with bipolar II. I gained 40 lbs in less than a year. My pdoc doesn't think it's the medication, but I think it's that and the fact that I can't stop binge eating. I've never had a problem with that until I started on this medication.

Has anyone else gained weight on Trileptal and/or experienced binge eating on it?

Reading the threads on here about Topomax, I think I should ask him about it at my next visit.

Donna

Old 08-12-2005, 03:04 AM   #2
(female)

Soniarose59 HB User
Re: Trileptal

I gained 45 lbs over a year on Trileptal. I am also on Lithium but I didn't start it until December. I am now on Topamax with the Lithium. Topamax will make you tired at first and kinda dopey. But you do lose weight on it. I have heard several stories of upwards to 70 lbs!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
(male)

Bop HB User

I started Trileptal about a month and half ago and I noticed my belly getting bigger and yes I have been binge-eating. I started running again and quit drinking recently and not only is it helping with my physique but my moods are a lot more manageable and my sleeping is getting better.
Quite honestly I think exercise is the all around key plus trying not to eat 3 hours prior to bed helps your metabolism greatly.
At this point my greatest problem with trileptal is that my right eyelid will not stop twitching in the afternoon. It really pisses me off

Anyone else on this stuff have twitches?

Old 08-12-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
(female)

FrmlyMidwestGrl HB User

Thanks for the answers. My appt is in September and I'm going to ask my pdoc about it.

Bop, I haven't had any twitches at all, just the weight gain. Other than that I liked Trileptal, got my moods under control.

I know I should exercise, but I don't really feel motivated about it. I've gained so much weight that it just seems hard to move.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
(female)

singsong HB User

This is the ONLY drug that ever helped me and I have been on it for over 2 years just when it was becoming popular for BP. I had a hard time finding anyone else on it. Tegretol is Trileptal's "mommy" and has been refined and originally used for children w/seizure problems.

Yes, I have gained weight but I really think its been a combo of depression and the drug. I am on 2400 mgs daily. 2 in am, 2 in pm. How much are you guys on?

Closed Thread