It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
(female)

Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia - check it out online - it is amazing!
jephiner HB User
3 days of lithium and OMG

I started lithium and it has only been 3 days at 300 mg so I realize this could possibly just be placebo but I feel better than I can ever remember feeling. I feel relaxed for the first time in my life. I can honestly say that I had never before enjoyed my children and yesterday I played with them, liked them and enjoyed them....always before I had to force myself w/ everything I had to even play with them...I hated it! My husband has said a couple things that were annoying and I just thought to myself hmmm and let it go and that is a definite first - I am always so very aggressive if I don't like what he says..... And I feel like I can breath....before there were either "ideas" in my head constantly or I was thinking mean things like "you idiot" about myself or "you *&&^%%" about other people....I just feel so very very very peaceful!

I am so very hopeful this will continue - and so excited about the possibilities for me in the future. I have always hated myself for not being the mother I wanted to be and I am hoping I may just get to be that mother after all .... and that I will be able to respect myself and feel like I am doing a decent job. Pray for me.

I would be very interested in hearing from others about how they felt differently when they first started medication - not necessarily what went away - but what they gained...........so let me know how your life improved with medication, I can't wait to hear

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: 3 days of lithium and OMG

the wife is on this med. It has caused some side effects but overall, it' s a good med.

Mudhound

Old 08-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

Hi Jephiner

Glad to hear you've responded so well. I had exactly the same response to Lithium - I felt 'normal' for the first time in my life and it was amazing but..........a little word of warning! I rushed off and attempted to put the world to rights with my new found sanity and over did things a bit - I think it's very tempting to do loads when you suddenly feel better - remember there's lots of time and take things easy!!

All the best

Picali xx

Old 08-14-2005, 01:38 AM   #4
(female)

AllyA HB User

I have had depression for a number of years with a few hypomanic episodes attached. I have just come out of a full blown manic episode and my doctor wants me to go into hospital so she can start me on lithium....I am currently not taking anything (against medical advice) and have been avoiding (ie hiding) from the doctor and cpn for the last 5 days. Involuntary admission is a distinct likelihood if they catch up with me. I don't want to be like this so I need some real advice about lithium....will someone respond?

Old 08-14-2005, 06:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Hi Jeph, I've been on lithium for 20 yrs now and it has been a miracle drug for me anyway. Side effects I can live with and NO more catatonic depressions or psychotic manias.
I was told I am a "compliant excellent lithium responder". I just call myself lucky!!

Old 08-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
(female)

Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia - check it out online - it is amazing!
jephiner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyA
I have had depression for a number of years with a few hypomanic episodes attached. I have just come out of a full blown manic episode and my doctor wants me to go into hospital so she can start me on lithium....I am currently not taking anything (against medical advice) and have been avoiding (ie hiding) from the doctor and cpn for the last 5 days. Involuntary admission is a distinct likelihood if they catch up with me. I don't want to be like this so I need some real advice about lithium....will someone respond?
Hey AllyA,

I can tell you that I had serious reservations about medication and even more serious reservations about lithium but after some research and some deep soul searching I decided I would try it. I need to express to you that I feel that I may just have been given a new lease on life. I have seriously debated medication w/ myself and others before making this decision and really can understand the reservations you may be feeling .... and I know there are a lot of reasons to have reservations. I can only tell you that I am very very glad that I had enough motivation ( needing to be a nurturing mother to my 2 children ) to decide I was going on medication. I now wish I had been diagnosed and taken lithium 15 years ago and saved myself and the people I love the pain of living with active bipolar.

We all have the right to make this decision for ourselves - that is the glorious point of choice. I would say, perhaps consider taking it for 3 months and then re-evaluating. What would you lose by having more information for your comparison....at least you are not trying to make a decision with big gaps in your information. You can always chose to stop medication at any time......

Good luck to you my friend....I hope you find clarity on what is the right road for you.

Sincerely,

Jen

Old 08-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
(female)

jephiner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picali
Hi Jephiner

Glad to hear you've responded so well. I had exactly the same response to Lithium - I felt 'normal' for the first time in my life and it was amazing but..........a little word of warning! I rushed off and attempted to put the world to rights with my new found sanity and over did things a bit - I think it's very tempting to do loads when you suddenly feel better - remember there's lots of time and take things easy!!

All the best

Picali xx
Dear Picali,

Thank you so much for the excellent advice - I can feel that desire to go do everything I have been too crippled up inside to do and you are 100% right - slow and steady wins the race. I hope others read this who are starting medication because I cannot believe the difference in my ability to be productive and I really really really do not need to create my own pseudo mania - I want to be healthy and consistent ( something I have never been before) And on that note, I am going to bed because I have over did it a bit today and want to take care of myself and relax (another foreign concept). thanks for reaching out to a newbie - your support means so much to me and your advise really hit home.

Jen

Closed Thread