It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User
Binge eating questions.

Hi all!

Sorry if this topic have been brought up before. Does BP and binge eating happen a lot? I am more aware than ever that I suffer from binge eating. My binge eating started after my oldest daughter (now 14) was born. I was always a tiny teenager and after she was born I became obsessed with food and my battle of the bulge began. I have been overweight for most of the past 14 years. When I did happen to lose any weight it was by starvation. In 2002, I started taking diet pills and lost a lot of weight (50lbs). I became addicted to the pills, as it is the ONLY thing that has ever stopped me (long term..2 1/2 years binge free) from binge eating. I want to ask my pdoc about something (medication) to stop my obsession with food. I have gained 15 lbs. since May. I'm not sure if he will give me anything because of my addiction to diet pills!!! My unstable brain is starting to think of ways to stop any weight gain...going back on the diet pills, vomiting any binged food, or trying to figure out a way to NOT EAT. I know that all of these are HUGE NO-NO's for me, but I can't seem to relax about food. Am I giving up one addiction (diet pills) for another (food?) Help....

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I hope that some other binge eaters out there have some recomendations for me!!!

Amy

Old 08-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Inactive

goofyafter2 HB User
Re: Binge eating questions.

Amy, you are not alone. I need some advice myself. I have always had a problem with the binging here and there in the past. The end of last year I was diagnosed bp2 after pregnancy and I have been on lithium and lamictal for several months now and the binging and purging began like 2-4 wks ago. Its like I cant help it. Was going to bring it up with pdoc but I dont go back for a couple of wks. I will think of things to eat knowing that I will just be throwing it back up. It seems like once a pattern started that its just that much harder not to do it. I am totally obsessed with my weight too. I am at a good one I think (well good enough but I want it better) but I just cannot stand the idea of gaining even one ounce.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User

Ok, I was taking diet pills a couple of months ago and i did tell my doc about it which is a good idea, hint hint He put me on wellbutrin and it supresses my appetite and gives me energy .....He said that the diet pills counter acted with my meds so i stopped.....I have been taking diet pills for about 4 years but when i found out that they where doing more worse than good I figured my health was more important.... Plus the diet pills made my irratability jump through the roof..... and i didn't want to put my son and my hubby through that anymore.....

Goofy I've never purged before but I know that it's not good for you, as if you didn't already know ....... All i can say is tell you doc that's what they're there for....that's really all i say to you cause i've never been in that situation.....I've thought about it billions of times but could'nt ever bring myself to do......Plus the only time i can throw up is when i've had to much alcohol ...........Anyway just let your docs know, thats what they're there for!!!......I used to be scared to but now i know that they are the only one's that can help, so why hide something you need help with.....

Hope i can help and remember you are beautiful....... *JESSI*

Old 08-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User

Thanks so much guys!!

It doesn't make my food obsession any easier, but it does help me to know that I am not the only one going through this. I see pdoc on Tuesday and I am going to let him know exactly what I have been dealing with. I'm not sure what he will say or do, but at least I will let the cat out of the bag. I all ready did with my husband. I told him I was getting really itchy about wanting to buy more diet pills. He is so wonderful and reminded me of where they helped put me...I was a complete MESS on those things and they aren't what is going to help me in the long run. They are only a fix for right now and not for my future!!!

It feels so good to be able to come to this board and get help/companionship from others that are suffering with the same problems!!!!

Thanks again guys!!

Amy

Old 08-14-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
(female)

dws1119 HB User

I have always had difficulty with eating. My teeth have all but fallen out from too much purging. But what alot of people fail to realize, psych meds slow down your metabolism to nothing. Many increase your appetite too. You can actually eat nothing and still gain weight. My weight became such a problem it affected my overall health--diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. My psych MD suggested a very drastic course for me, Gastric bypass surgery.
You must understand that I was 375 lbs by then. If I had continued on that course, I wouldn't be here today. I am 15 mths post-op and 230 lbs lighter. I no longer take anything for my diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. They have even been able to decrease some of my psych meds.
But to answer your question, weight problems are rampent in the MH communities. You are NOT alone in this. We all face it everyday.

Diane

Old 08-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User

Hello Diane,

First I must congratulate you on your weight loss. I'm certain it hasn't been an easy road for you. I don't know much about gastric bypass, but I'm sure it isn't easy on the body or mind for that matter!! I'm just glad that your overall health seems to be so much better...not to mention, I bet you look fabulous!!!

You know I never thought about the BP meds slowing down my metabolism. I just thought that they increased my already HUGE appetite!! My husband just bought us a new treadmill and home gym. I hope that I can get up enough motivation to actually get off my growing butt and actually excersize. As for the eating, that will probably be my biggest challenge...I love food and I constantly think I'm hungry!!

Thanks so much for your input!! I think I learn new things every time I come to these boards!!

Amy

Closed Thread