It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User
Angry Got a new med and scared to take it!!

Hi everyone,

I saw my pdoc today. We discussed how I was adjusting to my lamictal and how I have been obsessing with my weight and binging. He wants me to start taking Seroquel at night!!! I am so upset. I didn't know anything about Seroquel and I don't think this will be good for me!!! I haven't been getting the greatest sleep at night, but I haven't been struggling during the day either. He said it would help me sleep. I have gained 20 lbs since I stopped taking diet pills (that I was addicted to for over 2 years) back in May. Hell, I have put on 5 LBS in just less than 3 weeks. I am so upset and I specifically asked him if it caused weight gain...HE SAID IT DIDN'T!!! I am supposed to see him again next week so he can monitor my weight and see how I am doing on both the drugs..

Has anyone taken Seroquel and gained weight? It says it is an anti-psychotic drug....I'm not psychotic...should I be taking this???

Thanks for any help...

Amy

Old 08-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User
Re: Got a new med and scared to take it!!

I'm glad to see that you did talk to your doc about the binging...... Did you ask him about wellbutrin? I don't know anything about seroquel but i will tell you that the better you sleep at night the better you will feel during the day......I notice if i sleep after 9:30 or 10 I am lazier during the day and when i get lazy and bored i want to eat...I always keep that in mind so i don't think about taking the diet pills again...... Thyroid problems can make your weight jump up and down like that to!!!

Anti-phsychotics are also used to help you sleep...... Are you excercising? I know it's difficult when you first come of diet pills cause of the energy factor but i feel that when i excercise i feel SOOOOOOO much better!!!! It's really hard for me to get enough energy to clean, I guess the diet pills took away all my energy but i do try...... I don't know if you remember the advice i gave you on the other post or not, but i also was addicted to dp's and about 3 months ago i stopped taking them so were kinda in the same boat......

I like your posts cause i can relate........ Sunshine, makes you feel better to....just open your blinds....... I done that this morning and i feel alittle better, considering I would rather be in complete darkness than see the sun..... Hope i could help and good luck!!!

*Jessi*

Last edited by babygrl1337; 08-16-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

kproy HB User

I started taking Seroquel a couple of weeks ago b/c I was having problems sleeping. At first, I was a little intimidated, knowing that it was an antipsychotic. But it is working. I am able to sleep through the night, and the panic attacks have lessened. So it wouldn't hurt to try!

Old 08-17-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
(female)

kimber lee HB User

Why Did You Stop Taking Diet Pills?

Old 08-17-2005, 06:52 AM   #5
(female)

singsong HB User

Hi all. I have been on this drug for about 2 1/2-3 yrs. I am the BP type that CAN NEVER sleep even when exhaustion sets in. This drug has been good for me except for one side effect that started happening this year. It goes like this:

Granted, I take the max dose now, 600mgs daily at bedtime. When I would take Seroquel this sort of "bone tickling" would start in one OR the other of my legs from the knee down under my foot. This ONLY happened when I would take this drug and got so bothersome I told my pdoc I could not take it at all! I tried to take the tiny 25 mgs
and even that didn't work. SO, I did something I swore I'd never do: take another RX drug to mask the side effects of another: enter NEURONTIN. I started taking 200 mgs of this stuff and eventually (1 1/2 mos) this side effect WENT away completely. My side effect from Seroquel WAS NOT that thing called restless leg syndrome because it never happened except when I took Seroquel. It was horrible and NOT painful but like this ANNOYING electrical-like current in one or the other legs. Like all the nerves were jumping-AGAIN-never painful but like a bone-tickling. My pdoc listened to me complain about it and when I told him I'd have to come off Seroquel BECAUSE it was so bad, he prescribed the other drug.

All OK now but I am sick of my AM/PM med routine! All my meds Trileptal (2400 mgs,
Seroquel 600mg and Neurontin 200 mg) each and every day.

Hope this informs you so. All and all-Seroquel is a good drug once you get used to it.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User

Jessi-I havn't talked to my pdoc about Wellbutrin. I was on Wellbutrin three years ago for depression and it was an ok drug for me. Of course, I was only being diagnosed as depressed at that time. My pdoc did tell me that he was trying to get me to therapudic (sp?) levels of lamictal before he added other drugs FOR my binge eating. He does seem to listen to me quite well and told me that he wants to help get me back to my "comfy" weight and even healthier, but that would take patience and my help...excersize, diet...you know all the regular stuff the docs tell us. I do believe him. I have been trying to get more excersize!! I was having some MASSIVE rapid cycling on my lamictal...especially several days after starting and/or upping my dose, which he told me could be a common effect of lamictal until I get to my level. Overall, I am liking the lamictal. When I am not cycling, I feel so NORMAL and I have not felt like that in YEARS, so that is such a blessing!! The Seroquel was to help me sleep and I'm assuming to help with my ultra (ultra) rapid cycling from the new lamictal. It is so nice to talk with someone that is also a diet pill abuser. It was so easy to depend on my pills....they were the only thing that ever worked to STOP my binge eating and I lost so much weight that I just loved myself....mind you they make me MANIC for much of the time I was on them!!!!

Thank you so much for your post...you make me feel comforted that I am not alone...it helps so much!!

Talk soon,

Amy

Last edited by AimeeS34; 08-17-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User

kproy-Thanks for your input. I think I freaked out when I did my research on Seroquel online. I immediately jumped when I saw the "anti-psychotic" association. I all ready feel so "crazy" and it was just one more knife in my gut when I saw that. I'm glad the Seroquel has worked so well for you. I must say, after my first night of taking it, I havn't slept that well in MANY years!!!!!

Thanks again,

Amy

Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 AM   #8
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User

kimber lee-I stopped taking the diet pills because they were making me very sick. They are only supposed to be used for short term...ha, I got addicted to them and was on them, off and on, for OVER TWO YEARS!!! They actually stopped working for me, although, I still wasn't binging all that often. I felt so run down and was actually sick for five months (off and on) with resperatory illnesses, body aches, chest pains, stomach problems...you name it I was sick with it. I also found out from my pdoc (pretty sure I all ready realized it on my own) that they were making me manic or causing me to be ultra (ultra) rapid cycle!!!

Amy

Old 08-17-2005, 08:56 AM   #9
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User

singsong-Thanks so much for your input. It is nice to get some feedback from others that are on the same med. Did you feel strange when you first started taking them. Last night was my first night and I felt totally drugged, stumbling, out of it, yet I also felt like I was on the verge of a panic attack. I felt like I couldn't breath well, but hubby tickled my back until I fell asleep. That is our usual trick when I feel the panic setting in...he will tickle my back until I calm down.

I couldn't get up this morning to take my 14 yo daughter to school, so my husband had to take her before he went to work. I was just so tired and still felt DRUNK. How long will that groggy feeling stay with me??? I have kids to DRIVE to school and simply can't see myself getting on the road like that!!!

I'm glad that you and your pdoc figured out how to get rid of the "bone tickling"...that would drive me insane!!!!

Good luck to you and thanks again for your help!

Amy

Old 08-22-2005, 06:29 AM   #10
(female)

katkat01 HB User

i tried to post this before but i guess it didnt work....seroquel is the worst drug ive ever been on. i just felt like a zombie LITERALLY and it was seriously like walking around stoned out of my tree......and not in a good way just like completely sleepy and zoned out and everyone i talked to noticed a difference in my personality. ive noticed much of the same effect on other anti psychotics, namely zyprexa. which by the way made me gain 28 lbs in 3 weeks. i dont know, maybe it worked for some people but if it makes anyone else feel like this i would love to know!
just as an aside i was on 100 twice a day and 200 at night....my friend whos schizo, takes 800 mg/day. i thought that was so weird, i know he probably needs it for other reasons than me but i was imagining what i would be like on that dose. i would be the living dead! or something close to that!!

Old 08-22-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
(female)

AimeeS34 HB User

Hi katkat!

I know exactly what you mean about "walking around stoned out of my tree". I called my pdoc and told him that there was no way I would be able to continue taking 100mg, as I have two kids to drive to school every morning and one to pick up in the early afternoon. He told me to try it cut it in half and if I still couldn't function to quarter it. I quartered it and COULDN'T SLEEP, so I tried it cut in half over the weekend (to get used to it and not HAVE TO DRIVE) and I think I can get by with 50mgs. My pdocs concern was my lack of "sound" sleep, as I have been a very restless sleeper for so long...usually waking 4-5 times a night!!!

I am doing pretty good on the 50mgs and hope that I will continue to do well with it, as it does help me sleep so soundly...finally after years of horrible sleep!!! Now if I begin to gain any weight, one of the side effects of Seroquel, I will get off it, as I refuse to gain any more weight...which my pdoc is MORE than aware of, as I am a weight gain obsessed person!!

Thanks for your imput on this med! I wish you the best!

Amy

Old 08-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #12
(female)

katkat01 HB User

speaking of this....if i still have some seroquel and i need to sleep would it be dangerous to take it just once in a while or is that going to screw me up?? i was thinking that the other night i couldnt sleep and i was thinking "hey if seroquel made me want to sleep what if i just took one pill?". i remember on seroquel i would seriously sleep all the time and as long as possible. the sedation was just horrible....i know its an anti psychotic so i dont know if i should be messing around with it to just take it once. wondering if anyone has done this or knows what will happen.
-kat

Closed Thread