It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

kathryn00 HB User
Are you only on lithium?

I am, for now. Just trying it out. My doctor said that there is a 20% chance of becoming manic on lithium alone and a 5% chance when coupled with an anti-psychotic.

I was just wondering if you have heard this and whether or not you have had any problems with the lithium alone.

Thank you all for reading my posts. I guess I am just trying to work things out for now. I have talked to my doc, but I always leave there with more questions.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
(female)

Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia - check it out online - it is amazing!
jephiner HB User
Re: Are you only on lithium?

good post!

I am just starting lithium - and I am hopeful I won't have to add anything to it but I also don't know how likely this is - I would love to hear other people's experiences too....

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Kathryn & Jephiner :

For what it worth, I was started on Lithium in 1970. That's 35 years ago. Although, I did not comply, and fell back into a number of episodes, I findly realized in 1984 that Lithium was going to be my "answer" to stability. The
last 21 years are my "living" example that Bipolar Disorder can be conqured.
And that Lithium can be the mood stabilizer to do it !

Eyes

Old 08-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

kathryn00 HB User

Hi Eyes! (i like the way that rhymes)

Thank you for your response.

Are you saying that you only take lithium?

Yea!

Old 08-19-2005, 05:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Kathryn :

Yes, for the last 21 years,Lithium is "the only" mood stablizer I have taken.

It's truly a choice to make. Either you continue to "love the high" and then "burn out",or you decide to work for a stable life.

Lithium was my answer. It can be yours,too !

Eyes

Old 08-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

If you have bipolar I, you're more likely to only need the lithium alone. If you're bipolar II, or have another condition that would complicate your treatment such as a co-existing anxiety disorder, mixed episodes, or rapid cycling, then you might do better on an anti-psychotic and/or a mood stabilizer like Depakote. Give the lithium a try, but if you follow the instructions, and you still feel a little hypomanic, you might want to talk to your psychiatrist about trying one of these other options.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
(female)

babygrl1337 HB User

I have been on lithium ever since i've been diagnosed (2 years) and Its worked ever since then..... I also take wellbutrin....... Gatsby you said that people with bp I only needs lithium....... If this is true should i tell the doc that i may not need the wellbutrin?? I have never heard this before and i was wondering where you learned about it?? Are you bp I??

But yea lithium is a great just be careful...... take it right and get your lithium checked reguarlly.......

*Jessi*

Old 08-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

babygrl- I actually don't have bipolar disorder; it just really interests me. I'm not burdened by mood disorders- just anxiety disorders. Check out the OCD board- that's my main posting site! I'm flattered that you thought I was bipolar because at least that makes me feel like I seem to know what I'm talking about! Thanks! Anyway, for some people with bipolar I, an anti-depressant is required. What I meant is that only lithium is used without other mood stabilizers like Risperdal, Depakote, Zyprexa, Seroquel, and Tegretol. Most often, pure "euphoric" mania in bipolar I can be treated with just lithium alone, which can also prevent depressive episodes, but if your depression is extremely bad, then the lithium might not be able to handle both. Still, it might not be a bad idea to ask your doctor why he/she put you on the anti-depressant. Ask why your lithium couldn't take care of both- there must be a reason. Do you have any anxiety disorders? I wouldn't think so because you're on Welbutrin, which isn't an SSRI like the Zoloft that I take. However, DON'T stop taking your anti-depressant before talking to your doctor! And even more importantly, DON'T take the anti-depressant without the lithium, a sure-fire prescription for a manic episode... I guess that I read all of this in the "Bipolar Survival Guide" book when I was interested in learning all about manic-depression. Excellent book! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-19-2005 at 07:56 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Hi, I'm a Type I Bipolar who has been on Lithium only for 20 years!
No breakthru depressions or manias in all that time...
I can handle the side effects I do have because to me they are by far worth it to have a life!!!

Old 08-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
(female)

kathryn00 HB User

Wow! Sounds encouraging!

I am type I as well. I am so glad to hear other's stories. It really helps in the decision making. I was having such bad luck on the anti-psychotics, it's good to hear that you can be stable without one.

I will still be careful and watch for any signs of instability. I just have to remember to take that one pill in the morning, the one I always forget. (Oops!)

Thanks again for all of you responses. Keep them coming!

Old 09-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #11
(female)

kathryn00 HB User

Just thought I'd bump this up to see if there were anymore folks out there!

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #12
(female)

CelicaPrincess HB User
Smile Re: Are you only on lithium?

Hey....

I am on Lithium, Klonopin, Zoloft, Adderall and Risperdal. But Lithium has been my miracle drug. I am a firm supporter of it..

After years of docters misdiagnosing me, they finally got it right...after a dumb docter prescribed me, a bipolar paitent,which he knew, an antidepressant alone, which we all know is NO GOOD which sent me into a mania that landed me in the hosipital..

Goodluck with everything....

Lithium can work on its own, its up to indiviual. Take your meds regularly, get your levels check, and drink lots of water!!

Old 09-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #13
(male)

yooper829 HB User

Hello

I was on Lithium only for about 5 years, but always had problems with being low in the winters...to the point last year I had a pretty bad episode that lasted 3-4 weeks. This spring my doc cut my lithium dose in half and added Lamictal, which is supposed to fight the lows much better than Lithium, and it seemed to help at first, but now its fall and Im feeling low again, and this is much earlier than normal. So now...Im trying Seroquil to get me back on track but Im not so sure about this. Its only been 2 days but sofar its very sedative and makes me feel like crap! Not sure if I was better of on Lithium or not....but my doc says Lithium works better when augmented with something else....just a matter of finding the right one I guess.
My 1st post on this sight...glad to be here!

Michael

Old 09-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

tick tack toe HB User

im on lith on its own.
i say the drug is amazing and gets the nasties well away from my thought process.

how ever i have just spent a month in rejection.
It is a very powerfull and very medicating drug.

I was with in limits on the blood test and considered safe.
However alergic reaction does not come up.
I dont think its common but would like to add this in here.
As i have been very ill, my docs never explained well enough the possibility.

Then they never diagnosed the rejection.
All this means is i have to take lower dosages.

so you! have to watch out for you.

I hope it goes well because the peace of mind, it brings realy is quiet! amazing.

please keep me updated.
Tick

Closed Thread