It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

silicea HB User
Question Very concerned - can drugs damage my "eggs"?

I have been taking various medications for depression/ bi polar for a number of years. I also sometimes take tranqulisers, sleeping pills and various herbal remedies. I'm 31 and still want to have children (in the next few years).

Can all these drugs affect/ damage my eggs? Or make me infertile? Or could I have any problems conceiving? I know that eggs are not "made on request" like sperm, but women are born with them, hence my concern?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Re: Very concerned - can drugs damage my "eggs"?

Hi Silicea

I've not heard of any problems with meds affecting eggs, but lots of things can harm the foetus - if/when you do plan children you'd need to go through it carefully with the doc and come off anything harmful well in advance. I don't know if you're doc can give you any advice about your eggs and whether they'd be okay?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
(female)

silicea HB User

Hi Picali,

Thanks for your reply. My doc and my gynea told me that there is no risk, but I would need to come off any meds when I'm pregnant to eliminate any risk. Apparently, some people stay on medication, but I would prefer not risk it and just try to cope.

I was just thinking that maybe someone else heard something different.
Thanks
silicea

Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Silicea: what drugs did you inquire about? I am in the same position as you are and will 'detox' when thinking about getting pg. again. Are there any that, say, if you are pg and don't know it that are worse than others? Last time my pg test was pos. i was 1 mo into it. I was not on bp meds at the time, so that one went well.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
(female)

silicea HB User

No, I rather meant, if you are taking lots of meds before getting pregnant, and for a long time - can that have an effect on the eggs?
Let's say for 10 years you take meds, and then you decide to get pg, and you come off them. Are the eggs completely a OK, despite all the stuff you have been taking?

Maybe it's an unnecessary concern, because I never heard of this and so many people are treated for various things and still have kids...

Closed Thread