It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
(male)

htmeeks HB User
Question Side effects of Anti-Depressants in Bi-Polar Disease

It clearly states in most prescribing information of such anti-depressants as Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and Over the Counter Alternative Medications such as SAM-E that the compound or drug is not indicated for Bipolar Disorder.

What would be the side effects of this class of drug, if you had an undiagnosed case of Manic Depression and were prescribed one of these drugs?

" A Good Old Country Boy"

Last edited by htmeeks; 01-05-2006 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Change Question Wording

Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: Side effects of Anti-Depressants in Bi-Polar Disease

According to my dx, anti-depressants can be used as part of a cocktail to treat bp, but taken alone by a diagnosed bp can actually exacerbate mania. The first time I ever consulted a psyche doc is bc I had a mania episode during which time I was only on Paxil (I had not yet been given the bp diagnosis). She promptly took me off them in order to get me stabilized.

In a nutshell, the way I understand it, is that it can cause you to go into hyper mania (but I am not an expert). If you suspect that you are manic right now and taking only antidepressants, you should defiantly call your doc and tell them your suspicions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

In people who are bipolar V (those who have only had an episode of major depression but have a strong genetic link to bipolar disorder, and thus, may have a manic episode and become bipolar in the future), SSRI's are notorious for inducing manic episodes and sparking the person to be bipolar. It isn't known whether or not the person taking the anti-depressant would have become manic without the medication, or if they would've just suffered from unipolar depression. When this occurs, the person is said to have bipolar III disorder: bipolar disorder caused by an organic injury, substance abuse, or the use of an anti-depressant. Though the classification is "bipolar III", all people who are bipolar III have either bipolar I (if full-blown manic) or bipolar II (if only hypomanic) symptomatology; the noting of "bipolar III" simply tells the doctors how you contracted the illness, but you are still treated the same way as all other bipolar patients. I think the reason why the SSRI's cause mania is due to the serotonin reuptake inhibition. Serotonin, the "mood neurotransmitter", is found in decreased levels in depression, so when the anti-depressant begins to increase the amount of avaliable serotonin in the brain, the opposite effect takes place: there's too much serotonin, and (hypo)mania occurs. Hope this helped!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 01-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
(female)

jasminetea HB User

I've experienced antidepressant induced mania. It's not pretty. I felt: restless, suicidal, agitated, like I was losing my mind, hypersexual, poor concentration... you name it I had it.

That's actually how I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder (antidepressant induced mania I mean). Even with mood stabilizers I cannot tolerate antidepressants they send me into a mixed stay. I stay far far far away from antidepressants...am terrified of them actually.

And I have no family history of bipolar disorder so even if my doctor had asked me if there was a history of it I would have said no.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Gatsby Lover (I love that book also!)

Question: in my earlier post I said I was on a possible Paxil induced state of mania. However, I had been addicted to pain killers for about 3 years. I had always thought that maybe this was the cause of me being propelled into a bp state, and now disease. From what I understand from your post, would you agree and call this drug induced? And, do you think that had I not been addicted that I would never have become bp OR have I had that physiological destiny all along (tidbit of my history: no huge flux in moods, but slight upturn/downturns which then escalated last year)?

I am going to do some research on bp III.

Thanks in advance for your help, you sound well informed.

Barbaric Yawp

Old 01-06-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Barbaric Yalp! Your bipolar disorder may very well have been due to the pain killers, but in your case, I'd say that it was more the anti-depressant, especially since you hadn't shown symptoms during your addiction. The drugs most commonly associated with bipolar III are hallucinogens like LSD, and stimulants such as (meth)amphetamine, cocaine, etc, because they create psychotic states and manic-like symptoms. If you had mood swings long before your addiction, I'd say that you were probably primed for bipolar disorder, and the Paxil made it break through. No one ever knows, however, if they would've become bipolar without the anti-depressant... Thank you for saying that I'm well-informed! That's really a compliment! Just so you know, I only have (assumed) cyclothymia- my real problem is severe Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder- but I've done a lot of research on bipolar disorder just for my own knowledge. Yes, I'm a nerd! lol! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 01-06-2006 at 07:56 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Gatsby-- thanks! Very helpful!

Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome! If you want to know anything else, just let me know!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 01-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Gatsby:

You are truly well-informed. I have read all your past posts on BP and OCD. ( I'm glad your a nerd !) lol !

Would you comment on my last Thread " In the DVD Grizzly Man" (bipolor)? You may want to rent the DVD first.

Thanks, Eyes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim Treadwell was a mystic. Both he, and the documentary about his life, captured this process on film. This process was one of recognizing that the violent moodswings within himself could never be contained by traditional medicine; nor could his ever growing shadow. He took all of himself - every summer for 13 years - to the Alaska wilderness to play. He became the Grizzlies, foxes, elk, deer, salmon, streams, trees, and birds on the Tundra:all of them involved in the predator/prey scenario. Working on saving the Grizzlies - as he said he did in the film - allowed him to work on himself. Each year after his hibernation in the Alaska Wilderness, he would take his shining Self to the audiences he enraptured and give them information about Grizzlies and saving the wilderness.
In the film, Tim said early on that old bears go after humans because it is easier than chasing down swift game; also, he made it very clear that he and the bears he visited with each summer shared a deep level of trust.
He and his partner came to their ends at the hands of an old bear who was a stranger to them both. What was Tim doing out in the woods long after his own bear "Clan" had gone into hibernation? Some part of him knew that he and his bear stories would be more powerful after death: they would become a modern addition to the field of Bear mythology.
It is not safe to play with Bears, but it is much safer to listen to what Bear Mythology has to say about every aspect of the world we live in.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I haven't seen the movie, but if I understand correctly from what you wrote, I'd probably like it because it appears to have a lot of symbolism regarding psychological issues, which is sometimes better than the real thing. From what I got, it sounds as if he was bipolar and could connect with bears, who taught him to channel his aggression in a constructive way? Like, he always felt ostracized from society because he was "different" than most humans, and he only felt that he belonged with other animals who shared his animal-like instincts when manic? If I'm totally off, let me know! lol!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 01-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Gatsby :

Thanks for your responce. I think you hit the nail "on the head". That is he,had a lot of psychological/socialogical issues that he could never deal with properly in every day life. So he went the meanest,most wildest "animal" he could find. And found "love and affection "from these Grizzly Bears". The story go on to say he lived with them for 13 summers. This is what you have said in your last post. We don't know if he had any "biochemical involment". Although, he surely revealed the signs and symptoms of bipolar disorder. As you have suggested,this man might of needed a lot of support and understanding from his family and friends. Psychologicaly. he needed some serious help. So where is the fine line between a biochemical imbalance (possible bp) in his case and his need for psychological Tharapy ? I think you have come up with a very important question. The "old chicken before the egg" question. Does a serious psychological problem cause a biochemical imbalance,or it the other way around ? ( I just think you are never totally off,
just have an amazing mind ! )

See this DVD if you can.

Eyes

Old 01-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks- I certainly don't think I have an "amazing mind"! lol! Well, I'm a firm believer in neurobiological psychiatry (I think I told you that I want to do neuropsychiatric research), so I totally believe that biochemical imbalances cause psychological problems. This imbalance could, however, result from some environmental trigger, but the neurotransmitter/brain circuitry differences must be present. Write back soon!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Gatsby, I have been in several forums and have seen your advice. I think you are awesome! You should be a counselor if you are not already.

B.y.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, Barbaric Yalp, but I don't think I could be a counselor, especially since I'm only a college freshman! lol! No, I'm a neuroscience major, and I want to go into neuropsychiatric research to find more structural/biochemical abnormalities of mental illness. The reason I couldn't be a counselor is because I couldn't listen to peoples' problems unless they HAD a problem, you know? Like, if they had a psychiatric disorder, then I would totally sympathize or if they had gone through trauma, but I can't say that I would be very understanding if some teen girl came in complaining about "boyfriend troubles"... I have loads of compassion for people who are going through torment, but the reason why I can't sympathize with my peers "problems" is partially because I was forced to grow up (mentally) very quickly. My idiot father emotionally/mentally abused my mother and I, and I was already, no lie, a full-fledged, independent adult at age 12. Plus, at age 12, my OCD hit full-force, causing me to become even more mature. But, I'm glad that you think my advice is worthwhile, because on here, I like to help educate those who are going through hell but don't know what's wrong with them. My goal is to help minimize stigma about mental illness any way that I can.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 01-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Wow!!!! I sensed your intelligence/ education from here! I had no idea you were so young though. You are wise beyond your age!

I understand about the counseling bit, often you get people who seek anything in their life to hold onto in order to be depressed. It can be an addictive feeling and seeking out a counselor is a way of getting sympathy. Make sense? I had a moderate to bad childhood and now have this disease and it drives me CRAZY when people with 'close to perfect' childhoods boo hoo to me. If they cannot deal with a flat tire, when such an event ruins their day, I cannot relate. ???How about they try on a state of depression and mania that causes one to loose all of their friends, jobs, marriages, etc...??? Crusty, I know (no offense to anyone reading this. I do acknowledge that your reality is real to you.) . Maybe I am missing your point, but that is how I feel

Can you help with my post on Benadryl (see new string)?? If anyone knows, or knows where to look for info, it is you.

B.Y.

Closed Thread