It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User
I'm feeling VERY bipolar today

I think I will soon lose my mind today. My doc. changed ny meds this week from effexor to wellbutrin and lamictal(sp??). I feel horribly aggressive one minute and the tearful the next. Is this normal for switching these meds???? You know on the lamictal you start out 25mg the first week, so the 2nd and so on. I don't know how long it takes wellbtrin to kick in.

I thought maybe if I do something nice for someone I'd feel better, so I'm baking & icing cookies for my kids after school, but the only problem is I'm not feeling better yet. I'm such bad company I don't even want to be around me. I feel bad for my family having to be home with me this weekend. I try to stay in my bedroom and watch t.v. but the littlest thing is setting me off right now...

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as this goes. Has anyone else had to go thru this and how long did it last. I have a call into my doc's office. I told them it was urgent and they said they would call back within 48hrs. I said thanks for being there when one of your pt.s needs you the most. Gee I hope they have a great weekend!!!!!! Sorry I told you I was pitiful company today.

Where the heck is that vodka??????

Last edited by DontWannaBsick; 01-06-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: I'm feeling VERY bipolar today

Last question first: try not to drink, it may very well interfere with your medicinal rehab. I learned that the hard way.

As far as when meds kick in: Lamictal took me about a month, if not longer as I needed to up my dose over time (relapses of depression). The combo with Wellbutrin may be a different story, not sure bc I have never been on this cocktail and donít know your dosage. If you have not already, maybe ask your dx about a mood stabilizer, it will help you feel less anxious.

My method of coping: keep a journal, you can 'scream' at it. Go on a walk, get a baby sitter (even for 1 hour), read--even for 5 minutes, and/or listen to the news to see what is going on outside your world (I find this esp. helpfull bc it puts my issues in a more relative context. I.o.w: your troubles are not as bad as a person who is greiving the loss of a loved one. Make sense? Plus you can do this while the kids are around). Keep a list of the good things that you do, however small--like hugging your child. This makes your everyday actions a material fact that, upon reviewing, makes you feel better about who you are.

Cookies are great!!! I bake allot and give everything to my neighbors. The net result is that they love me and open their doors to me when I need to talk-- use this outlet if you can. Think about the process of icing itself. It slows you down so you can nicely deal with the kid that just spilled the sugar everywhere (just an example of 'the little things' that may stress one out). Clean the up sugar later , when you aren't feeling so bullied by your family.

I hope this helps, keep in touch!

B.Y.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User

Hi Barbaric,

Thank you soooo very much for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice and support. I had expected alot better from this group but I guess everyone else is just lurking today and not thinking opf anyone but themselves. Even at my worst today I was in these boards offering support. Thanks everyone for nothing.

Barbaric, I'm not a drinker usually. That shows how terrible I felt today. The good news is, the dr.s office finally called back after I had to call and threaten to sue the dr. if they didn't call back. I got even worse after I got off the computer this morning. What happened was, the dr. had taken me off effexor too quickly, started me on wellbutrin 150mg and the lamictal 25 mg(which is a mood stabilizer). The nurse said I was in effexor withdrawal, the wellbutrin was too high of a dose for me to start on, and the lamictalhasn't had a chance to kick in yet. I was begging to be admitted to the hospital, because I thought it was a bipolar crisis and she assured me the wellbutrin would start coming down. Get this, she asks me if I had had any caffiene today and I said I had drank 3 diet mt. dews ( I never drink this particular drink because of the caffeine content) and she stated that was the problem. Besides being in withdrawals that I was in major overdrive. I was literally running around my house doing laundry, baking cookies, cleaning 3 different rooms, taking care of ins. on the phone all at once and yet I couldn't gey anything done. I was crying one minute and raging the next. I told her all of this and she sayed on the phone with me until I started calmng down. She was right. Ofcourse on the other hand I had called them like 4 times. I started at 9am and she didn't call back until 330pm. So yea I guess I was finally coming down after being on the phone with her about 45 minutes.

So I'm supposed to up the lamictal(she said it isn't in my system yet), take wellbutrin every other day until I talk to them next week and only have 1 caffinated drink on the days I take wellbutrin to avoid caffiene withdrawal. It was a crazy and one of the worst days of my life but thank God I made it thru. The kids loved the cookies and I took them to thier favorite pizza buffet. We had a very nice evening and I feel like I'm in the land of the living.

I was truly ready to be admitted to a psych unit today for the 1st and hopefully last time in my life. Thanks sooo much for the support today. You are right about a walk, that always makes me feel better. That or a bike ride.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Wink Re: I'm feeling VERY bipolar today

Good On Ya!

And D%*n that Doc!

Glad to hear everything is better than this afternoon, after all: "Quod te non occidit, te certe fortiorem reddere poterit" (That which does not kill will only serve to make you stronger).

I don't like to see any strings that don't get a post. Esp. when someone is asking for help, I will do the best I can bc I empathize immensely with my bp doppelgangerís out there. That is why I joined.

B.Y.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User

Thanks again Barbaric, your great....

Old 01-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Just a note wishing you well. Hope you had a better day today....

Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
(female)

sals05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontWannaBsick
I think I will soon lose my mind today. My doc. changed ny meds this week from effexor to wellbutrin and lamictal(sp??). I feel horribly aggressive one minute and the tearful the next. Is this normal for switching these meds???? You know on the lamictal you start out 25mg the first week, so the 2nd and so on. I don't know how long it takes wellbtrin to kick in.

I thought maybe if I do something nice for someone I'd feel better, so I'm baking & icing cookies for my kids after school, but the only problem is I'm not feeling better yet. I'm such bad company I don't even want to be around me. I feel bad for my family having to be home with me this weekend. I try to stay in my bedroom and watch t.v. but the littlest thing is setting me off right now...

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as this goes. Has anyone else had to go thru this and how long did it last. I have a call into my doc's office. I told them it was urgent and they said they would call back within 48hrs. I said thanks for being there when one of your pt.s needs you the most. Gee I hope they have a great weekend!!!!!! Sorry I told you I was pitiful company today.

Where the heck is that vodka??????
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope this phase passes quickly for you.

You mentioned that you're now on Welbutrin. I took Welbutrin and it made me terribly angry and aggressive. I had to go off of it because it seriously made me want to put the hurt on someone. As soon as it was out of my system I felt so much better. I just mention it as something for you to keep in mind in case you keep feeling aggressive or irritable.

I hope things are better by now. Take care.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User

Thanks and I'm glad to hear of peoples experiences on any of these drugs. That lets me know what to watch for 4. I'm also in healthcare so I can understand if a pt. is complaining of a side effect then I can kinda know what to which drug may be causing thier complaint.

P.S. I'm still having a rough time of it because I'm inbetween antidepressants. I'm just hoping evry day I wake up will be the day I notice major improvements. Thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sals05
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope this phase passes quickly for you.

You mentioned that you're now on Welbutrin. I took Welbutrin and it made me terribly angry and aggressive. I had to go off of it because it seriously made me want to put the hurt on someone. As soon as it was out of my system I felt so much better. I just mention it as something for you to keep in mind in case you keep feeling aggressive or irritable.

I hope things are better by now. Take care.

Last edited by DontWannaBsick; 01-09-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

DWBS: Wishing you well today, have not forgotten about you...

B.Y.

I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

W. Whitman

Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #10
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User
Wink Re: I'm feeling VERY bipolar today

Thanks everyone. Today was a really good and productive day.

Closed Thread