It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User
Depakote?

Does anyone take Depakote? If so does it help with your depression or just the manic phases? My dr insists that i use a mood stablilizer but i dont think i have bipolar. I have really bad anxiety and depression. I'm afraid the Depakote is going to make my depression worse or something. I'm very hesitant and unsure.
thanks for any replies

Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Depakote?

I've never heard of a mood stabilizer worsening depression, only an anti-depressant by itself, without being combined with a mood stabilizer, worsening and/or provoking mania. Why don't you think you're bipolar? If you think you're on an unnecessary medication, you should ask your doctor why he/she feels that you need to be on Depakote. Good luck, God bless, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 03:51 AM   #3
(male)

blitzkrieg HB User

i know that depakote has helped a lot of people but i did not do well at all when i was put on it. it made me extremely depressed (much worse than normal). however, depakote is an "active compound" so you will feel the effect soon after taking it (same day). this is just my understanding/personal experience....i am not a doctor. good luck

Old 01-08-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

Hi-

I have mulled over the thought of going back on Depakote, because it helps with my mixed mania and depression more than Lithium does. This is no small undertaking-I had many side effects with Depakote-including alot of sleeepiness and weight gain. I also ALWAYS needed something else with Depakote, last time I took Zyprexa with it.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
(female)

Allitree HB User

Check out the liver damage associated with Depakote!!! Also, when I was on it I was seriously depressed--to the point of my tongue hanging out of my mouth out of pure lethargy. Couldn't really function in life. I don't know--if you have to be on something, I'd say check out something else.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
(female)

buzzkill HB User

I use depakote for the mood stabilizers and Paxil for the depression- works like a charm for me as I tried LOTS of other options before coming back three separate time to this. I needed to remain on it regularly taking it for about 4 months before I was absolutely certain it worked. But like most, as soon as I started feeling better I would get the attitude I did not NEED any drugs so i would quite making me go through the full blown swings and depressions....
Just gotta find what is best for your body. The fish oil thing seems to works well if you want to start with over the counter stuff- but after a few years I needed more, but I still take it lightly as a vitamin anyways.

Best wishes

Closed Thread