It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 11:59 PM   #1

Carmaanne HB User
My daughter is 3 years old and they expect

She has bipolar disorder. Can anyone offer me any information ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
(female)

TonyaM HB User
Re: My daughter is 3 years old and they expect

hi,
All i can say is get her medicatied before she is a teenager or you are in for a nightmare. I don't know how safe medicating a three year old is, but if she is on a low dose, I wouldn't worry too much. Just some thoughts.

TonyaM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

Angie79 HB User

What are the signs in somebody that young?

Old 01-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
(female)

sals05 HB User

Wow, I'm surprised that bipolar would be suspected in a 3 year old as it's often difficult for 3 year olds to communicate their feelings to any degree. I'm curious to know what symptoms she exhibits if you don't mind my asking?

There's a great group for parents of bipolar children at bpkids.org. They have loads of info on Early Onset Pediatric Bipolar.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Bipolar is difficult enough to be dx in adults. In my opinion you could take a child to
5 different doctors and get 5 different dx. As a Toddler our daughter was EXTREMELY STRONG WILLED with terrible behavior problems but she wasnt dx until she was 19 yrs old. It was a very tough road. Good Luck!

Old 01-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

I would add to Kein's comment: GET other opinions bfore putting her on anything!! That child is sooooo young.

If anyone knows what symptoms are, please post! (how about the mother of the 3 year old?? What, pray tell, are her symptoms??? Dying to know)

Old 01-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
(female)

Tzu HB User

I'm not convinced a three year old can be diagnosed with bypolar ... faaaar too young. But I would imagine the symptoms this three yr old is displaying at this stage are those of ADD or ADHD .. which very often can turn out to be bypolar ... but not always ... If I was that childs mother .. I would certainly get a second opinion and even a third.

Last edited by Tzu; 01-17-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Signs for ADHD in children are: Aggression, hyperactivity, hypersensitivity, slow learning skills, unable to remain calm when needed, usually center of attention, no fear, etc. You can visit [url]www.ch********[/url] or adhd.com for further information about it. That might help you ask further questions if you are questionable with the doctors diagnosis.

One of my sons has ADHD. He takes Risperderal and Ritalin LA and Ritalin. He is 6 years old and was diagnosed when he was 3 1/2 but not placed on meds until he was 4. He has a great child psychologist and psychiatrist, but it took us through trial and error to find them.

Take care and hang in there.

Coffeegirl

Old 01-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

I forgot. Not suppose to post other web sites. Oops. It is a very prominant ADHD web group that is stemmed for those who have adhd and their parents. It has national groups that meet in towns across the states monthly. Anyway, sorry about the inconvience and goof.

Coffeegirl

Closed Thread