It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Question Trouble sleeping, I take Benadryl Every night. Please Advise

Hi all,

I take Lamictal (200 mg) and Abilify (2.5 mg) and have a hard time getting to sleep so I take 2 Benadryl every night. I did not tell my dx that this is my 'aid' bc I am afraid she will put me back on Lithium and/or Seraquel and admonish me do drop the bennies. Those two drugs are all I know that will help me sleep, but they do not sit well with me at all. I am doing great on my current regemine (with this exception) and do not want to add anymore meds to the mix unless they have minimal side affects.

So my question is: is there a med that is mellow? Do you know if Bennies have interactions with my current meds? I have an addictive personality , so nothing that will get me hooked.

Thanks in advance,

Barbaric Yalp

“Quod te non occidit, te certe fortiorem reddere poterit” [That which does not kill will only serve to make you stronger ]

Old 01-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: Trouble sleeping, I take Benadryl Every night. Please Advise

Hi Yalp :

Benadryl is an antihistamine. Benadryl blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in your body. As a sleep aid, Benadryl should be taken approximately 30 minutes before bedtime. Never take more of this medication than is prescribed for you. The maximum amount of Benadryl that you should take in any 24-hour period is 300 mg.Do not take Benadryl if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days. A very dangerous drug interaction could occur, leading to serious side effects.Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
· anxiety or sleep medicines such as alprazolam (Xanax), diazepam (Valium), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), temazepam (Restoril), or triazolam (Halcion);
· medications for depression such as amitriptyline (Elavil), doxepin (Sinequan), nortriptyline (Pamelor), fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), or paroxetine (Paxil); or
· any other medications that make you feel drowsy, sleepy, or relaxed.

“Quod te non occidit, te certe fortiorem reddere poterit” [That which does not kill will only serve to make you stronger ]

Yalp,you are very wise. How you express yourself shows.

Eyes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Opps, double post, hitting buttons too fast. See response below

Last edited by barbaric_yalp; 01-08-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Talking Re: Trouble sleeping, I take Benadryl Every night. Please Advise

[QUOTE=barbaric_yalp]Thanks Eyes, you’re too kind! And, you are a prize winner for being the first to help me!****

After reviewing your educated post, it looks like I am taking none of the above, so perhaps this does not interfere with my meds (my bennies are over the counter). I just get that 'hooked' feeling if I am taking something regularly and am seeking to find alternatives that can wean me back to being able to get to sleep by myself. <<<< I greatly appreciate it if there is anyone else out there that can help with this dilemma!!<<<<

I will consult my dx and tell her my concerns over the other 'relaxation' meds she has given me in the past and hopefully we can work something out.

I look forward to reading your posts.

B.Y.

****Must be 18 or older to win

Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Yalp :

Perhaps,it only point of view on your "hooked" feeling. In my case,I have taken Lithium for over 35 years. However, for 21 years,I have been very consistant. ( Before that,I felt I could get by with out taking it consistantly -- wrong !).My cop out was,yes,you guessed it,I didn't want to get "hooked" on "that stuff" ! !

Sometimes there "is" a reason to take medication-(Rx orOTC). I take 2 Tylenol,extra strength every night to sleep. Have for over 10 years. Ran Marathons in my younger years and my knees hurt in bed. So is it that I am "hooked" or is it a "need"

Your "need" is sleep -- and Your "bennies" do the job.

So have a "GOOD NIGHT"

Eyes

Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

"So is it that I am "hooked" or is it a "need".... "

Yup, with the exception of the 'scrips I take now, I would otherwise like to be clean. Being an addictive personality, I am hyper sensitive to poss addiction, no matter what the med. You know, I have found that when people ask about cocktail meds--what is good for them--we have allot of anecdotal info, but it is all relative. What works for one bp, may not work for the other. In another post Gatsby said that it is my Lamictal that causes one not to sleep. But my problem is that this is the only drug that works for me? See my confusion (stop the med, sleep OR continue med, not sleep)?

Thanks for your help,

B,Y

Last edited by barbaric_yalp; 01-09-2006 at 07:52 AM.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
(female)

Handcuffed2Life HB User

Do you take the Abilify at night? because that can keep some people up. You can try switching it to the morning.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

I actually take it in the morning. I think my dilemma is that it is the Lamictal that keeps me up (which I take at 6 am) but I like the dosage I am on. Other than only getting 4-5 hrs of sleep, I have not (as of yet) been manic.

Do you know of a mellow, non addictive sleep aid other than the anti histamine?

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
(female)

Handcuffed2Life HB User

Actually.. I took ambien for a bit.. while i was having sleep troubles because of anxiety... And when I got off of it, I didn't have any side effects. Maybe that will work for you..
I also hear that Lunesta is good for not being habit forming.

But you should know... all sleep aids can be addicting.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Thanks! I will consult my doc...

Closed Thread