It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

phobic HB User
Cyclothymic

Just wondering if anyone has this diagnosis of Cyclothymic ? I finally found relief (sounds wrong, but to have a name for what i go through did give me relief..ya know, not just crazy) Just wondering how you deal with it, I am unable to take meds, so looking for others who have survived without. Thanks so much.. it's lonley doing alone.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Cyclothymic

Me! Well, nobody has ever given me the diagnosis of "cyclothymic" (I found this myself three years ago), but I know doctors agree with me because this past fall I was put on Lamictal for my mood swings. And, the psychiatrist that put me on the Lamictal and my PCP both said that I acted hypomanic with pressured speech. Anyway, all I know is that, whatever it is, the Lamictal works very well. I'm the classic cyclothymic who will be irritable and miserable one minute and silly, giddy, and laughing the next. The Lamictal helps control this, and I notice that it gets rid of my extreme irritation with people. If I don't take it, I feel like I used to: wanting to just wring peoples' necks for being idiots... So, all in all, I do think that cyclothymia is a condition of mine because of how the Lamictal does stop my ups-and-downs that happen every day. And, I read somewhere that you can tell cyclothymic mood swings from regular mood swings of high-strung, obsessive-compulsive individuals like myself by saying: do the mood swings occur because of a specific event or for an unknown reason? Of course I have mood swings for certain events, but often, I'll just be so disgusted with people or so giddy for no reason whatsoever; it just doesn't match the situation... I know you want to talk to people who aren't on medication, so you can still talk to me- I'm 18, but was without medicine for almost all of my life. Let's just say that I've always been very strong-willed, and my mother and I have gone round and round. And it's not just "normal" teenager crap- I've been mouthing off and standing up to my mother since I was four. There were countless times throughout my childhood where I'd get in trouble for misbehaving and not cooperating in stores or whereever; my mother and I both realize now that a lot of my verbal disobedience and tantrums were due to my cyclothymia and OCD. Good luck, God bless, and, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 01-10-2006 at 04:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User

Phobic,
I too am Cyclothymic am currently unmedicated also. I have been off meds now for 3 months and I feel really well. My Husband and friends all say that this is the most level they have seen me for a long time. I still have my moments were I am a bit hyper and scatter brained, but I attribute that the the ADHD I have dealt with my whole life. I was unmedicated for the Cyclothymia until the age of 39 and am almost 41 now, so I think I can live unmedicated..... but I will and my friends and family will keep an eye on things. You are not alone!!
Lynda

Old 01-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I am Type I Bipolar and my next oldest sister is cyclothymic. She refuses meds because she doesn't think she has anything wrong with her. (Except occasional anxiety & panic attacks in which case she takes the MINimum med necessary)

She has had numerous career changes, two divorces, many moves, and struggles with finding any sort of stability because of the poor judgement that her cyclothymia leaves her with.
Her current live-in is absent too much, her family is 2,000 miles away.

I think that what would help her - and probably most cyclothymics the most (other than some sort of med) is alot more Stability.
A regular bedtime every evening - a balanced diet - being closer to family (although her irritation level is hairtrigger & most of us dread when she "goes off") - low caffeine, LOW low stress both on a job and at home. That means a lower paying job if need be.

Half the battle is recognizing that you have cyclothymia, and you are already there!

Old 01-10-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
(female)

phobic HB User

OHHHH thank you so much. Im up and in 'run' mode, as usual for my mornings, but i have much to say and ask. Im about heading to dr (weekly visit) but i thank you so much for responses. I'll be back..thanks, phob

Old 01-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
(female)

phobic HB User

I again want to thank each of you for responding. You made me laugh gatsbylover. dont know how to explain, but just cause when you said i could talk to you too even though you didnt sorta 'fit' my cryteria. lol I really envy people who can take things to help, i just have been unable to. It's real weard huh to just go off on a giggle fit over nothen. I do that too, and can wanna cry the next. I really dont have "depressions" like a bipolar, but i just swing up and down and sometimes sorta have them together which my dr said he hadnt heard of but seems like hysteria funny or sad can be quite close. that prob dosnt sound right to anyone else, but it happens to me so oh well. im also OCD and i really never know who im gonna be at any given time.. and Lynda, yikes!! scatterbrained..that's my middle name. These days, kinda my first, but you describ me well..lol Im in my 50's and its so weard for me to have to admit that i cant handle everything like before. My anxiety sends me for a loop, or the ocd, or heck the cyclo stuff, and im off doing who knows what. Thank goodness for family. Like you said, i to have my hubby keeping and eye out for trouble. And Ruth, i do think your completley right about stability. I have numerous "issues" and when my outer world is unstable, i almost have no control over my mind. I get so many bad simptoms, and it's awful. I had to quit my job of 20 years, to save myself. Doing much better. Money is tight, but im saving what i have left of my sanity, so its worth it. Thanks you all, It's helped to vent, and know your out there.. yucky, but we're making it..right!! God bless you all too, phob

Closed Thread