It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
(female)

Tylers_Mommy HB User
Unhappy Child switching meds-Desprate...need HELP!

First of all...sorry this is so long...

I have a 5 year old son who was dx with Bipolar this past summer. He was doing well on his normal meds (Seroquel, 200 MG 2x daily, Risperdal, .25 mg. to .5 mg (depending on how he is that day) 2x daily, and Depakote, 250 2x daily) untill a about a month 1/2 ago he began being extremely whiney ALL DAY EVERY DAY OVER EVERY LITTLE THING. Even his school noticed a huge change in his demeanor and attitude. He use to be aggressive and occasionally combative when he didn't get his way...now he just screams, cries, whines and knocks holes in the walls all at the same time. (lucky me) Nothing new except its ALL the time now. It is way too much to handle ALL day, day in and day out! I told his doc, and she wants to take him off of his Depakote and put him on Adderall. She thinks he is whiney because his stomach is hurting from his Depakote. He can speak loud and clear and he never tells me his stomach is hurting as he normally would. Well, last time he was tried on Adderall he ended up 10 times more hyper than usual and he was a little demon! He ended up back in the hospital and eventually was taken off the Adderall and they followed it with a few more stimulants which did the same thing and thats when they tried Depakote. For almost a whole year he has been stable...till now. Has anyone here had any success with Stimulants after they have already proved to NOT work on a person???
Does anyone understand why they are trying it again? Just don't want to have to go through another hospitalization with my little guy!

Thanks, April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: Child switching meds-Desprate...need HELP!

I am sorry I cannot help, no experience in that arena. I wanted to send you a note to say that I am so sorry to hear your struggles.

Sending you love, strength, support, and a prayer...

B.Y.

Last edited by barbaric_yalp; 01-14-2006 at 06:40 AM.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

WOW! what an issue. We all care so much for our kids. I feel your pain in a way. My wife has BP and I watch my son like a hawk. I worry so much about him getting this illness.

Mudhound

Old 01-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
(female)

Tylers_Mommy HB User
Re: Child switching meds-Desprate...need HELP! UPDATE

Thanks so much! I appreciate knowing there are people out there that can understand me and know what my family and I are going through. I wanted to let you all know that so far Jace is doing well off of his Depakote, no improvements yet (not that I expected any so soon) but hes no worse either so I consider that to be a good thing. He has been complaining of a headache every since he started the Adderall so I am going to call his doctor tomorrow morning. Other than that, only time will tell. I always get anxious in the middle of a med change because when we very 1st started giving him meds he ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks with terrible hallucinations. It was horrifying going to a childrens psychiatric hospital to see my 4 year old little guy and hearing him screaming as I was leaving. That was really difficult. I never want to have to do that ever again! It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life. I am just glad its over.

Well, Thanks everyone. Have a good night.

Hugz, April

Old 01-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User

Bless your heart, I can't even imagine how hard that would be to leave your child as he screams for you while your leaving. I would be ready for the psych unit myself.

I hope you never have to do that again.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
(female)

sals05 HB User

Tyler's Mommy,
I'm sorry to hear your son is having a rough time. I don't have the answer to your question about stimulants but I can relate to the difficulty of watching your child suffer through yet another medication change.

My son was doing great on Seroquel and Depakote, but he had to be taken off the Depakote b/c it was affecting his liver. He was complaining constantly about stomach pain and it turned out to be for a good reason.

I'm curious to know why your son's doctor thinks trying Adderall again will be successful this time? That's a new one on me. My son's been through quite a few med changes but NEVER re-visited a med that proved to be ineffective or detrimental the FIRST time it was used. I don't understand that.

Wishing you both well.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
(female)

Tylers_Mommy HB User

Sals,

Thanks for writing! Yes, I have had a difficult few weeks! Jace has been going through his 2 hour long meltdowns this week along with the whineyness so now I have much more on my plate than just the worries of changing meds nowadays. Heh...Just when I thought I couldn't take anymore. lol Go figure!

Come to find out the Adderall didn't change anything as far as his hyperactivity. It did however give him a terrible headache so the doctor told me to take him off of it. He didn't go crazy like before so thats a major PLUS! I was suprised to see it haden't done anything at all besides give him a massive headache.

Taking him off his Depakote might prove to be a bad move though. I can see his meltdowns getting worse and worse every day. He is back to hitting at his baby brother Tyler, in which he hasen't done in about 5 or 6 months now. Since he got back from the hospital. He also hurts his big brother more often also. I just don't know what to do with him when he gets like this!

Anways...sorry this is so long. Sometimes I have to vent a little. Thanks again for writing me!

~April, Mom of Tyler, possible Autism, Jace 5, Bipolar & ADHD
and Logan, age 7, Mood Disorder, PTSD, and ADHD.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
(female)

Tylers_Mommy HB User

UPDATE...

Jace has been total hell for the last month. His meltdowns have been longer than 4 hours at times. He is back in Crisis outpatient stabilization. Almost had to hospitalize him because he was becomming so difficult for me. (I don't know why I am saying everything in past tense since Jace is still having problems as of right now.) Only difference is they gave him back his Depakote and all his meds he was on after he got out of the hospital this last time. His new doctor (which is the same doc he had for his past 2 inpatient hospitalizations) was very upset that his outpatient doctor is trying stimulants on him AGAIN. He said they just make him more irritable. He gave me a note to give to her with all his trial runs of all these different kinds of stimulants he had him on. He was really critical when it came to why she actually switched his meds like she did. He said there was no since in it. So, now hes back on his usual meds and we will go from there. The school is still complaining that hes been extremely tired all the time. He's in 1/2 day Kindergarden so they are placing him in full day...1/2 kindergarden and 1/2 day preschool because he has MAJOR troubles socializing with the other children and can't seem to retain any kind of knowledge!! He can't even remember his teacher's names or any of his fellow student's names in his class. I am not sure what to think. It seems like something isen't adding up here. Is that weird or what? Anyways...I guess we are back on track...who knows. Seriously though...it can't get much worse!!!

Thnaks everyone for listning!!!

Hugz, April

Old 02-11-2006, 12:32 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

midniteangel HB User

this may be of help to you...[url]http://www.klis.com/chandler/pamphlet/bipolar/bipolarpamphlet.htm[/url]

Old 02-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

It's obvious stimulants don't seem to be working. Have you ever considered Concerta or Wellbutrin to replace Adderall/Depokate (bad spelling)? It even might be a good idea to increase Seroquel considering the sedation might help a bit. I doubt you want to sedate your child, but considering your sons behavior (violent, moody, hyper), bumping up the dose might calm him down instead of actually using sedation. If you do decide to do such, if any of that behavior increases, it actually might be the antipyshotics that are causing the disruptions. He's so young, it's hard to go through all that. But once you go through this whole "trial and error" medication issues, there's a definite possibility he'll be content with his moods and behavior for his future.

Hang in.

SGH

Old 02-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
(male)

bipolarjon HB User

If he was stable for a year why change? Have ya'll tried lithium? Has anything else changed? Things like caffine, sugar, cold medicine, his diet, how much exercise, how much sleep. I have even heard about being inside too much can cause problems. I have read that some drugs get messed up with too much mg's or too little mg's, people make mistakes.
Good luck.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarjon
If he was stable for a year why change? Have ya'll tried lithium? Has anything else changed? Things like caffine, sugar, cold medicine, his diet, how much exercise, how much sleep. I have even heard about being inside too much can cause problems. I have read that some drugs get messed up with too much mg's or too little mg's, people make mistakes.
Good luck.
Because the boy developed tolerance to the meds. That's a major problem with meds....tolerance. Tolerance is the brain's way of fighting off chemical intrusion day after day, it's a self defense called downregulation of brain receptors which happens over time when the brain is continually exposed to a psychoactive substance. Dowregulation is the desensitization or sometimes shut down(death) of a receptor. This is why meds should be last resort, and I can't imagine how a less than 5 year old was diagnoised with bi-polar unless he was having psychosis or something like that because once they start meds it's unsure whether or not they will ultimately work or solve the problems and could even make more problems down the road.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
(female)

Tylers_Mommy HB User

Jace is a little better nowadays but we are back to square one now...Extremely whiney all day every day. I understand that theres no "perfect" for Jace but this is still SO unreal. He cries most of his day away and for NOTHING, HE doesn't even know WHY. I am guessing hes in one of his depressive states but wow this has been a LONG depression!!! I still haven't got ALL of this figured out. I guess I am still working on it all! I just don't know what to think. NorthKey (Crisis care center) is telling me that this might be all they can possibly do for him right now but this is NUTS! I haven't actually HEARD the doc say that yet so we will see! Its not over yet by gosh!

I hate to think its the end of the road. The poor little guy needs help! More than I can possibly give him! Hes misreable right now! Hes back on the same meds as he was when he left the hospital last time. Hes been sleeping like crazy in school and is not able to tolerate much of anything lately. Hes having a major problem taking in information. He hasen't gotten very far in school at all this year. Hes very immature as it is though, that makes a big difference. He doesn't feel the need to learn anything yet. Its like trying to teach a 4 year old things that hes not intrested in! Anyway...Ill keep ya posted on whats going to happen next. I got to do something. Isen't it wrong for a child to live like this??? Theres GOT to be a law!!!

Thanks! April

Thanks, April

Old 03-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylers_Mommy
Jace is a little better nowadays but we are back to square one now...Extremely whiney all day every day. I understand that theres no "perfect" for Jace but this is still SO unreal. He cries most of his day away and for NOTHING, HE doesn't even know WHY. I am guessing hes in one of his depressive states but wow this has been a LONG depression!!! I still haven't got ALL of this figured out. I guess I am still working on it all! I just don't know what to think. NorthKey (Crisis care center) is telling me that this might be all they can possibly do for him right now but this is NUTS! I haven't actually HEARD the doc say that yet so we will see! Its not over yet by gosh!

I hate to think its the end of the road. The poor little guy needs help! More than I can possibly give him! Hes misreable right now! Hes back on the same meds as he was when he left the hospital last time. Hes been sleeping like crazy in school and is not able to tolerate much of anything lately. Hes having a major problem taking in information. He hasen't gotten very far in school at all this year. Hes very immature as it is though, that makes a big difference. He doesn't feel the need to learn anything yet. Its like trying to teach a 4 year old things that hes not intrested in! Anyway...Ill keep ya posted on whats going to happen next. I got to do something. Isen't it wrong for a child to live like this??? Theres GOT to be a law!!!

Thanks! April

Thanks, April
Seroquel and Risperadal are neuroleptics/antipsychotics, but I believe they used to be called major tranquilizers for a reason. I take back my previous belief of tolerance(mainly because of effectiveness seemed to wear off) because it sounds more like culmative side effects appearing....major tranquilizers can cause all you describe (tiredness, sleepiness, irritability, cognitive problems, etc.) I'm not a doctor but read alot on drug effects/side effects.

Yes, they were right in telling you this may be all they can do since neuroleptics are the big guns in psychiatry as far as drugs go, sorry to say. I hope something will change for the better.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #15
(female)

Holly_WA HB User

Have you tried lithium yet? My son did great on it. He was on lithium, risperdal and tegretol and was actually doing well.
We never had the depression states like you are describing. When unstable, my guy would just be irritable and raging all day. No whiney, crying, etc. Just screaming and destroying things. Then of course the mixed state of mania thrown in.
I took my son off of meds for 6 weeks now. He is doing great!! Long story---the school issues. To our amazement--he is doing better than when on them!! After those first 2 weeks of raging and irritable---he has stabled out for now. I'm waiting for another cycle to hit.
We have noticed my son is a different kid. He was on meds for 1 year and his brain has matured, and we are actually seeing his personality for the first time ever!! We are also actually enjoying him for the first time in his life!!! I think the meds were causing some cognitive dulling.
Holly
Jacob--6yo extra vitamins/supplements, omega's, 5-HTP
Bipolar
High Functioning Autism
Anxiety

Last edited by moderator2; 03-08-2006 at 07:08 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Closed Thread