It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
(male)

CLEBucky HB User
I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar2 today but.........

Hello,
My name is Dave and I am a 21 year old college student. I have been diagnosed with A.D.H.D. for 4 years now but never took adderall because I didnt like it because it took my anxiety up and it was like speed! Anyway, I went to Doc today and he feels I was miss diagnosed and I am Bi-Polar2. Ok, whatever I have to take to get me to loose the anxiety that is always stirring would be great so I'll take anything. Oh, he gave me, i think (pickin up script tommarow), Topamax.
Ok, I need to let everyone no a few things first off. I am a happy person. If I am not in a family conflict or doing bad in school I am a happy guy. And I deal with those problems like everyone else and resolve them. When problems do occur in my life I stress about them but not TOO MUCH. I can handel my mom and my step-dad fighting and I calm them down. 10 minutes after that is over with I get picked up by my best friends. When I am with them I am happy and cool(besides massive anxiety) and always have a good time. When things happen in my life I dont get depressed and I know what depression is. I dated a 18 year old High School student recently. She was Bi-Polar and was depressed all of the time for no reason. There would be days where she wouldnt get out of bed. She was cutting herself again and she had been doin it her whole life. I also think she see"hullications" and etc. I also know another 21/m who is Bi-Polar and is really scary to be around with. I have seen him crying over his girlfriends, fighting anybody for little to know reason, he would talk fast. He then got into cocaine. His moods were worse and he would fight anybody including his GF since he started with the coke.
Now, this is why I have seeked therapy. I always feel anxiety but when I go and talk to teacher/boss/bestfriend/girlfriend/anyone it gets so much worse. This is because it is hard for me to keep eye contact for more then 5-8 seconds. After the 8 seconds I start to feel all tight, needles on my back feelin, and it gets worse as it goes on. Long conversations feel like hell and I really want to pay attention. I have not much problem makin the eye contact but maintaining it with no stress is what I am looking for ANY DRUG to help me with.
I would love to know everbodys opinion. When I am at home by myself playing X-Box/PS2, and reading about sports online, and watching TiVo, and etc I do not get depressed. I run around being a smart *** with my friends and doin what we do. I never feel sad unless something sad happens. I never ever really have been depressed. Mainley I have a constant high stress levels of personal anxiety and it flies threw the roof on the eye contact for substained conversations. I am funny and I really like talkin to people when I can. I am sick of looking all around the room when I speak to somebody and really tired not be able to communicate with people because of the massive anxiety factor. How can I get a girlfriend when I can't look at her in the eyes for more then 10 seconds! So NOW I want you guys to give me your opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar2 today but.........

..I get picked up by my best friends. When I am with them I am happy and cool(besides massive anxiety) and always have a good time. When things happen in my life I dont get depressed and I know what depression is. ..

Have you been treated for anxietly? It sounds like this may be closer to what you are from what you said. Go to the anxiety boards and cross check your symptoms with what is posted there and then consult your dx...

B.Y.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
(male)

CLEBucky HB User

When I went into the doc I told him everything I tolf you. I have taken Xanax, Klotipins, paxil, lexapro, buspar, and all sorta work. My anxiety from life is way gone and I feel calm and relaxed(really like Klotipins, shot best golf score on it). Then, when I jump into a converation with ANYONE the anxiety is there just as bad. I can not be in the working world and have that problem. I know if I just found something to take care of that part of my anxiety and took Klatipins to calm me in life I would be ok.

Thanks for help, anyone else out there because I go on that Topamax in 3 hours and I don't know if I should be on the stuff. I will tell ya'll how it goes. If it works then I don't care what label you call me, I will keep taken it for anxiety.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Please keep us posted...

wishing you the best,
b.y.

Last edited by barbaric_yalp; 01-14-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

welcome to this board. Glad to have ya.
The dio of BP is a hard one. Getting good treatment depends alot on letting it all hang out. Tell your dr every thing. He or she does want to help.

Mudhound

Old 01-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
(female)

cagedbird HB User
Lightbulb Re: I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar2 today but.........

David, I to have anxiety, too much stress. 6 years ago I went to a pdoc and he DX me with bipolar.By time I got to see him i was depressed plus still having anxiety. I was put on Neurontin & Klonopin,and druged to the gills!
Now Pdoc is having second thoughts on my DX.So now I'm in therapy to try and find out if I'm bipolar or it's all stress related. At this point i'm ready to give up on Pdoc,and find someone else to help me. Therapy is helping sort this out. therapist thinks i'm just stressed,and too much stress can cause depression.but bipolar??? Me thinks not. I'm not a doc,but sounds like your have social anxiety. I've lost 6 years of my life to thinking i'm bipolar,and lot's of friends because of his DX of me. Please if you think it's just anxiety find a new Pdoc. Good Luck to you.
cagedbird~

Old 01-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Hi, and good luck. Ditto on the being open with your doc. Finding one with whom you can have an open dialogue regarding any concerns or questions you may have can make all the difference.

I, too, have taken a few different anti-anxiety meds, and currently take klonopin. This does help me, but what has helped me most for social anxiety has been working with a therapist that I trust. Some of the anxiety that you described sounds like it could possibly be social anxiety. Is this an option for you?

--Loopy

Closed Thread