It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Is There Anything I Can Do To Keep From Gaining Weight Again On Lexapro?

Hi, everyone. I gained 50 pounds on Lexapro and then went off it because I couldn't take the weight gain anymore.

I have lost the weight, but had to go back on Lexapro because it is the only A.D. that works for me. Believe me, I wouldn't go on it unless I HAD to.

Besides exercise and watching what I eat, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO OR TAKE TO KEEP ME FROM PUTTING THE WEIGHT BACK ON? IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO DEAL WITH THE CRAVINGS?

I'm terrified it's going to happen again and I know I will be in the pit of darkness if I don't stay on the Lexapro.

Thank you,

Salty

Old 01-18-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: Is There Anything I Can Do To Keep From Gaining Weight Again On Lexapro?

Hi Salty
This is probably going to sound weird, off the wall ect. in fact I turned my nose up to it for several years until I was so desperate I was willing to try anything at all even the highly recommended fish oil (omega-3) I've read
research on how it can help not only depression, but any kind of
mental health problems. Im bipolar and bounce like a rubber ball at times.
Im very sentive to many of the meds and have often looked at the natural
alternative to boost my mediations. I started taking the fish oil 1 gram
it seemed like I felt more stable calm but I wasnt sure until I stopped taking
it for a few days. That's when I realized it was helping. Ive read some people need as much as 6 grams. I'm just started taking 4 grams a day. All I know is if this simple supplement that a person really cant OD on can help
me or even reduce some of the meds I have to take, it's worth it. Plus that
it's excellent for your heart, collesterol, digestion, and it seems to be helping my complexion among other things It sounds gross, but what do ya have to loose. If you decide to try it get the tasteless non ordor capsules.
Good Luck, K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiehn, I Have Been Taking Them For Years And Have Never Noticed Anything And I Must Say It Has Been One Of The Most Frustrating Things For Me! I Wish To God They Worked For Me The Way They Do For You!

Maybe I'm Not Taking Enough? I Try To Take 3 Per Day As It Reads On The Bottle. I Don't Always Get In 3 Per Day. They Are 1,000 Mg. Capsules.

How Many Do You Suggest I Take? And Do I Always Have To Take Them With Meals? I Think That's Why I End Up Not Taking Enough.

Salty

Old 01-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
(female)

loopyturtle HB User

Salty,

I'm fighting the same battle you are. I just had to go back on Zyprexa, which makes me want to eat 24/7. It also makes me kinda lethargic. Double whammy. This time around I'm going to focus on exercise and choosing the healthier options when I eat. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to say, except I know how it feels.

--Loopy

Old 01-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiehn, I've been waiting for your reply. 4 grams???? That's a whole lot, isn't it? If I have 1,000 mg. capsules...jeese, I don't even know how many I'd have to take to equal 4 grams.

How do you do it...quantity-wise? Your pills come in what measurement?

Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiehn
Hi Salty
This is probably going to sound weird, off the wall ect. in fact I turned my nose up to it for several years until I was so desperate I was willing to try anything at all even the highly recommended fish oil (omega-3) I've read
research on how it can help not only depression, but any kind of
mental health problems. Im bipolar and bounce like a rubber ball at times.
Im very sentive to many of the meds and have often looked at the natural
alternative to boost my mediations. I started taking the fish oil 1 gram
it seemed like I felt more stable calm but I wasnt sure until I stopped taking
it for a few days. That's when I realized it was helping. Ive read some people need as much as 6 grams. I'm just started taking 4 grams a day. All I know is if this simple supplement that a person really cant OD on can help
me or even reduce some of the meds I have to take, it's worth it. Plus that
it's excellent for your heart, collesterol, digestion, and it seems to be helping my complexion among other things It sounds gross, but what do ya have to loose. If you decide to try it get the tasteless non ordor capsules.
Good Luck, K

Old 01-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Salty, I know this one is pretty obvious, but then I used to be a Mountain Dew addict and never thought about the calories in pop. 8 - 10 cans a day at 170 calories made for a few extra pounds.
If you're drinking stuff with sugar (even juice drinks) you may want to switch to something diet or no carb.
Water is still my best bet - I drink tons (a good thing since I'm on lithium)

How are you doing otherwise? Everything doing ok in the guy dept?
Hugs,
Ruth

Old 01-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Ruth. I just started drinking water. I'm on lithium too. The guy scene really isn't happening, but I gave it to God awhile ago because you know I can't deal with it.

I was in a black hole (it was terrible) once again without the lexapro, but I was thin again and felt so good body-wise. My mental health on the other hand was awful. I was in a fog, crying all the time, oh, I hate it. I've been there so many times.

I had no choice but to go back on it. The cravings for chocolate (and any food for that matter) came back almost immediately and the weight, I swear Ruth, it just comes back on me. I really do watch it and it still comes on.

Now I'm disappointed in myself because of that and my body is going back to the way it used to be and I miss the thin Salty, but not the mentally ill Salty.

You should see my pills, Ruth. I have taken a 10 mg. pill, cut it to 5 mg. for awhile, and now I have cut it to 2.5 mg. You'd have to laugh, it's so small!

I am trying to supplement w/as many natural things as possible. My dresser is filled with everything I can think of that boosts seratonin. I am also on Wellbutrin, so I'm trying to cover all the bases.

If (and I pray not), but IF I find myself going back into the black hole, I will take a 10 mg. lexapro so fast you'll head will spin!

Ruth, it's so sad. I gained 50 pounds and I lost almost ALL of it and now it's coming back. It makes me want to cry...it's such a catch-22. I'm only 5 foot and I can't have all the extra weight on me! I worked like crazy to lose it and then DEPRESSION had to rear it's ugly head AGAIN!

I think it's like the 6th time, who knows, I stopped counting. Lexapro is the only thing that pulls me out. Believe me, I've tried them all. It's also the one that just puts the weight on even if I don't eat!!!!!

It was so great being thin again, Ruth. I felt so free. I could fit into my clothes again. I really was happy, but not for long because then darkness came. I have tears in my eyes now because it hurts so badly. Why can't I just stay at my normal weight and not be depressed?

I give it to God, but it still hurts my heart. It's like I'm stuck...I'm just stuck.

I miss you, Ruth. I miss your wise words and your kind words and your advice.

Thank you for posting.

Love,

Salty

Old 01-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well my friend, can you believe we're still kickin' around here????
I know this doesn't help much, and I have no idea how much you weigh, but I DO know that who you are is at much more risk from the chemical imbalance than from weight.
Being bummed out about how much I weigh never affects me as much as a wonderful psychotic mania or jolly ol' catatonic depression... LOL

There's aLOT of "fight" in you, know what I mean? You're a scrapper and a survivor.
My but we've been through alot in 3 yrs or so. I'm always glad to see you pop up again after a quiet stretch...
Good definition of friends, eh?
(and not a bit of importance regarding weight where friends are concerned!)

Old 01-31-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth, I loved your post, yes we've been through a lot.

My mother hurt me today. She said, "Well, I sure can tell you are putting the weight back on!"

I said, "I'm sure you know why." And she said, "Oh, yeah, the Lexapro."

Short conversation, hurt like hell.

I really didn't think it was THAT noticeable YET. But it is, I guess. And I can blame it on the drug that saves my life. Go figure. I've asked for help on the boards.

I'm so sad and so hurt over something that seems so minor. I have an opportunity for a date with a well-established MAN, no children, good looking, kind...and I might as well say it...he's a multi-millionaire. My whole life I have been paying the bills for the guys. Anyway, he certainly won't want me with the weight back on.

I feel like it's my ONE shot, Ruth. I'm so sad.

l/Salty

Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Who says that he won't like you if you have some extra pounds??
If he's the right guy he'll want you balanced and sane. He'll love you for what you have between your ears and in your heart.
Salty, I thought EVERY guy I had a relationship was my last shot so I do understand what you're saying.
It's just that the Right Guy is the Right Guy is the Right Guy - and until he really shows up they're all gonna turn out to be the Wrong guy!
He might be as worried about you being after his millions as you are worried about him wanting you a skinny!!
I weighed 100 lbs soaking wet when I got married (and I was on Lithium). My highest weight was 145 lbs (Mtn Dew, poor eating habits & menopause) and Mr. Ruth never said a WORD to me about it.
He just loves me. I've lost 20 lbs and am cursing menopause and he STILL says nothing about my outward appearance.
And THAT is what I hope for you, and I hope you NEVER settle for less.
Always,
Ruth

Last edited by Ruth6:11; 01-31-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I love you, Ruth. God bless you and I thank God He put you in my life.

Salty

Old 01-31-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
(female)

lovecrockpot HB User

Hi Salty,

I am in the same combination as you: Lexapro and Welbutrin.
I gained over 60 lbs on Depakote and Zoloft and I am working really hard to lose that weight. After switching to these new combo, I was very worry.
So in October I took a radical action: STOP BREAD, PASTA AND SWEETS, cold cut. The first 2 weeks were very difficult but now I don't crave at all. Even during the Holidays I managed to lose 2lbs a week.
I know it sounds extreme, but I need the meds and I need my weight to feel a little more normal. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LoveCrockPot, I saw an ad in a magazine about Effexor XR and how the depression has less of a chance of coming back with it. Do you know anything about this drug?

I have posted on the depression site. I am seriously considering going on it. I just can't take this weight gain. I really don't eat the foods you described...truthfully, I don't eat much of anything...I mean I watch my food intake like a hawk!

I'm also having a very hard time with the sexual aspects of lexapro and always have. I wonder if Effexor XR is any different? I would post about that except I already posted just to see if ANYONE is even taking it.

I need the meds, too, but lately, I just can't take it! I need to try something else. It probably won't work, but I have to try.

Salty

Old 02-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #14
(female)

lovecrockpot HB User
Unhappy Re: Is There Anything I Can Do To Keep From Gaining Weight Again On Lexapro?

Hi Salty,

I don't know anything about Effexor, but I was reading about Fish oil, about your comments and others, in this thread and in the depression one. I would love to do something natural instead of taking meds that have so much side effects. I know what you mean about sexual desire (what is that?? LOL). It is hard to explain to my husband that the reason is because the meds and NOT HIM!
Let me know if you find more about Fish oil or Effexor, please. I will do the same. Thanks a million

Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Yo, Sweet Salty,

I had not posted yet on your thread bc I have no valuable info and the previous posts are very informative. But, I would add that at night, or when your cravings kick in, you should eat an apple or celery as they are empty calories. Also, on the days you give in, try to do the exersise that burns the equivant calories you just consumed. For example, you just ate 500 cals, there is an index out there that will tell you what type of exercise, and how long you must do it, to burn the 500 cals from your system. Make sense?

God bless.

B.Y.

Ps: we like both Salty's--the slim or otherwise!

Closed Thread