It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
lamictal and weight?

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if they gained weight on lamictal or had food cravings? I have a thyroid problem so maybe it's that - but just in case I wanted to ask you all - Also anyone get edema in their legs/ankles associated with lamictal? that's also a symptom of thyroid problems so I can't tell -
Thanks very much,
Best wishes,
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: lamictal and weight?

No problems here at 200mg a day...I have maintained weight, if not lost some. Perhaps you should go the the HB on thyroid and see symptoms and your doc to be able to dissect the the ywo issues from each other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Thanks B. Y. for your reply!....Since I've had thyroid disease, just thinking about food makes me gain weight If there's even the remotest chance of something making me gain, I do....it's the pits....It's very hard to separate the thyroid problems from the others because imbalance in the thyroid can cause many mood problems....I've had the thyroid problem for 4 years now (spend alot of time of the thyroid board too), but had mood problems most of my life....Thanks for your feedback - don't want to quit a med that could help if it's not the culprit -I am still waiting for it to help the depression/anxiety - been on 200 mg for a couple of weeks (and 100 mg three weeks before that) - no improvement yet...had to let the wellbutrin go because it was making me too aggitated...gained 10 more lbs in the last week! argh!....Thanks again for your reply....
best wishes,
Kathy

Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxKathy2
Thanks B. Y. for your reply!....Since I've had thyroid disease, just thinking about food makes me gain weight If there's even the remotest chance of something making me gain, I do....it's the pits....It's very hard to separate the thyroid problems from the others because imbalance in the thyroid can cause many mood problems....I've had the thyroid problem for 4 years now (spend alot of time of the thyroid board too), but had mood problems most of my life....Thanks for your feedback - don't want to quit a med that could help if it's not the culprit -I am still waiting for it to help the depression/anxiety - been on 200 mg for a couple of weeks (and 100 mg three weeks before that) - no improvement yet...had to let the wellbutrin go because it was making me too aggitated...gained 10 more lbs in the last week! argh!....Thanks again for your reply....
best wishes,
Kathy
??Perhaps, considering my exp., Lamictal will actually help you maintain weight??? Dunno, but I think it may stabalize-- I hope for your sake. But I don't know exactly how prob with thyroid works.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Thanks B.Y....I hope so too - the topamax helped with the weight but I couldn't think for my job....The thyroid disease is a terrible thing that I hope no one else has to deal with...also the endocrine system seems poorly understood by medical science....Since the thyroid went, my metabolism is completely different - I gain with all ssris and I used to take them no problem....so they are out and I am praying lamictal works soon, but I've a feeling it may not for me....thanks for giving me hope and encouragement - you are always so helpful that way!
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 01-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Quote:
Thanks B.Y....I hope so too - the topamax helped with the weight but I couldn't think for my job....The thyroid disease is a terrible thing that I hope no one else has to deal with...also the endocrine system seems poorly understood by medical science....Since the thyroid went, my metabolism is completely different - I gain with all ssris and I used to take them no problem....so they are out and I am praying lamictal works soon, but I've a feeling it may not for me....thanks for giving me hope and encouragement - you are always so helpful that way!
Best wishes,
Kathy
Ask your doc about Abilify, this may have weight-losing side effects.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Thanks - something to ask about!
K

Old 01-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
(female)

DontWannaBsick HB User
Angry Re: lamictal and weight?

Hi Kathy,

I too have just started lamictal and have gained about 8 pounds in the 2-3 weeks I've been on it. I have also had the edema in the legs & ankles as you mentioned. But then again I also take meds for hypothyroidism. At the same time I was started on lamictal I was started on wellbutrin 150 mg. I guess it could be any of the above. I'm feeling sooooooo agressive and I'm more hateful than anyone I know. I don't know wHAT IS WORSE, THE mood swings or being stuck in a state of wanting to ring everyone I knows neck. That is not like me.

Quote:
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if they gained weight on lamictal or had food cravings? I have a thyroid problem so maybe it's that - but just in case I wanted to ask you all - Also anyone get edema in their legs/ankles associated with lamictal? that's also a symptom of thyroid problems so I can't tell -
Thanks very much,
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 01-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi - I found that the wellbutrin was making me nasty....I stopped it (first lowered the dose to 75mg which helped) but then stopped it - my doc actually told me to take it just on really bad days....the weight gain came since then and the edema has been going on for awhile - so I suspect hypo for that one....Hope you feel better - thanks for sharing your experience....
best wishes,,
Kathy

Closed Thread