It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,097
wxKathy2 HB User
lamictal and weight?

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if they gained weight on lamictal or had food cravings? I have a thyroid problem so maybe it's that - but just in case I wanted to ask you all - Also anyone get edema in their legs/ankles associated with lamictal? that's also a symptom of thyroid problems so I can't tell -
Thanks very much,
Best wishes,
Kathy

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 655
barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: lamictal and weight?

No problems here at 200mg a day...I have maintained weight, if not lost some. Perhaps you should go the the HB on thyroid and see symptoms and your doc to be able to dissect the the ywo issues from each other.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-21-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,097
wxKathy2 HB User
Re: lamictal and weight?

Thanks B. Y. for your reply!....Since I've had thyroid disease, just thinking about food makes me gain weight If there's even the remotest chance of something making me gain, I do....it's the pits....It's very hard to separate the thyroid problems from the others because imbalance in the thyroid can cause many mood problems....I've had the thyroid problem for 4 years now (spend alot of time of the thyroid board too), but had mood problems most of my life....Thanks for your feedback - don't want to quit a med that could help if it's not the culprit -I am still waiting for it to help the depression/anxiety - been on 200 mg for a couple of weeks (and 100 mg three weeks before that) - no improvement yet...had to let the wellbutrin go because it was making me too aggitated...gained 10 more lbs in the last week! argh!....Thanks again for your reply....
best wishes,
Kathy

 
Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 655
barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: lamictal and weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxKathy2
Thanks B. Y. for your reply!....Since I've had thyroid disease, just thinking about food makes me gain weight If there's even the remotest chance of something making me gain, I do....it's the pits....It's very hard to separate the thyroid problems from the others because imbalance in the thyroid can cause many mood problems....I've had the thyroid problem for 4 years now (spend alot of time of the thyroid board too), but had mood problems most of my life....Thanks for your feedback - don't want to quit a med that could help if it's not the culprit -I am still waiting for it to help the depression/anxiety - been on 200 mg for a couple of weeks (and 100 mg three weeks before that) - no improvement yet...had to let the wellbutrin go because it was making me too aggitated...gained 10 more lbs in the last week! argh!....Thanks again for your reply....
best wishes,
Kathy
??Perhaps, considering my exp., Lamictal will actually help you maintain weight??? Dunno, but I think it may stabalize-- I hope for your sake. But I don't know exactly how prob with thyroid works.

 
Old 01-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,097
wxKathy2 HB User
Re: lamictal and weight?

Thanks B.Y....I hope so too - the topamax helped with the weight but I couldn't think for my job....The thyroid disease is a terrible thing that I hope no one else has to deal with...also the endocrine system seems poorly understood by medical science....Since the thyroid went, my metabolism is completely different - I gain with all ssris and I used to take them no problem....so they are out and I am praying lamictal works soon, but I've a feeling it may not for me....thanks for giving me hope and encouragement - you are always so helpful that way!
Best wishes,
Kathy

 
Old 01-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 655
barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: lamictal and weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxKathy2
Thanks B.Y....I hope so too - the topamax helped with the weight but I couldn't think for my job....The thyroid disease is a terrible thing that I hope no one else has to deal with...also the endocrine system seems poorly understood by medical science....Since the thyroid went, my metabolism is completely different - I gain with all ssris and I used to take them no problem....so they are out and I am praying lamictal works soon, but I've a feeling it may not for me....thanks for giving me hope and encouragement - you are always so helpful that way!
Best wishes,
Kathy
Ask your doc about Abilify, this may have weight-losing side effects.

 
Old 01-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,097
wxKathy2 HB User
Re: lamictal and weight?

Thanks - something to ask about!
K

 
Old 01-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 65
DontWannaBsick HB User
Angry Re: lamictal and weight?

Hi Kathy,

I too have just started lamictal and have gained about 8 pounds in the 2-3 weeks I've been on it. I have also had the edema in the legs & ankles as you mentioned. But then again I also take meds for hypothyroidism. At the same time I was started on lamictal I was started on wellbutrin 150 mg. I guess it could be any of the above. I'm feeling sooooooo agressive and I'm more hateful than anyone I know. I don't know wHAT IS WORSE, THE mood swings or being stuck in a state of wanting to ring everyone I knows neck. That is not like me.








Quote:
Originally Posted by wxKathy2
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if they gained weight on lamictal or had food cravings? I have a thyroid problem so maybe it's that - but just in case I wanted to ask you all - Also anyone get edema in their legs/ankles associated with lamictal? that's also a symptom of thyroid problems so I can't tell -
Thanks very much,
Best wishes,
Kathy

 
Old 01-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,097
wxKathy2 HB User
Re: lamictal and weight?

Hi - I found that the wellbutrin was making me nasty....I stopped it (first lowered the dose to 75mg which helped) but then stopped it - my doc actually told me to take it just on really bad days....the weight gain came since then and the edema has been going on for awhile - so I suspect hypo for that one....Hope you feel better - thanks for sharing your experience....
best wishes,,
Kathy

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
lamictal rash - now where? sped57 Bipolar Disorder 3 07-06-2008 08:26 PM
Trouble losing wieight on lamictal psychodancer Bipolar Disorder 2 04-19-2008 10:00 PM
Lamictal.. i want to know everything. yelden12 Bipolar Disorder 21 06-20-2007 10:18 PM
more lamictal questions fallen_angel Bipolar Disorder 5 02-12-2007 03:50 AM
lamictal and weight gain? baby_doll82 Bipolar Disorder 11 11-19-2006 09:42 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!