It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
(female)

needhelptrying HB User
Abilify - new med instead of Zyprexa

Hi again. The Zyprexa didn't work out. My mood was improved, but the ankle/foot swelling became so severe and painful that the doctor told me to discontinue it. He put me on 1/2 pill of the smallest dose of Abilify, to be increased to 1 pill. After that, we'll see how it goes. So far, the mood is fine. The swelling has gone down some (from the Zyprexa), but it's going to take a bit longer. Thanks for listening. Hope we all find something to help ourselves.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User
Re: Abilify - new med instead of Zyprexa

Hi there-

I hope you find Abilify to be as wonderful a med as I have-it replaced Risperdal for me-it is more "weight neutral" than Zyprexa, I've lost 78.5 lbs of my Zyprexa weight after my Abilify/Topamax/Lithium/Seroquel combo kicked in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

Nysstasia-

you seem surprised I take those meds? I guess I thought this was less than what I WAS on in the past...I am now biting my nails thinking I'm overmedicated.

Any thoughts

Lithium ER 1200 mg
Topamax 100 mg
Abilify 5mg
Seroquel 225 mg

Old 01-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

needhelptrying HB User

I guess everyone's body reacts differently - to meds, and to amounts of meds, and to combination of meds. Thanks for the encouraging words about the Abilify - that means a lot to me. I've known people who haven't been helped by meds I've been on and vice versa, so ...... Just have to try and try again, then wait and wait some more. Good luck to all.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

I take Abilify. It has really helped with the delusions and depression. For some reason, I'm one of the few people who have gained weight on it. There are very limited people though who gain on it- like 2% out of 100%- so rare. And, it stinks! LOL I'm not going off of it because of how well it has helped me though. It is my wonder drug.

Good luck to you and stay well.

Coffeegirl

Old 01-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

needhelptrying HB User

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU so much for the encouragement. I'll keep taking the Abilify forever if it keeps working forever. I feel 'right'. Does that make sense? Thanks all for listening again. Bye now; and good luck to everyone - all of us.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
(male)

ShoelessTroy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby706
Hi there-

I hope you find Abilify to be as wonderful a med as I have-it replaced Risperdal for me-it is more "weight neutral" than Zyprexa, I've lost 78.5 lbs of my Zyprexa weight after my Abilify/Topamax/Lithium/Seroquel combo kicked in.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to be switching from Risperdal to Abilify this week. I'm just gaining to much damn weight. My new combo will be Depakote & Abilify....I hope it works. Has anyone experienced any side effects while taking Abilify??

Thanks, T

Old 02-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
(female)

klawk316 HB User

Hi, I've read, and my pdoctor has told me, that Abilify is really used for acute stages of mania. Yet, I'm reading here that people are taking it for maintenance. Is that right? I'm on 250 lamictal and doctor does not want to up it. She suggested a very low dose of Seriqual (sp?) but because of all I hear about seriqual I refused to try. I'm interested in a low dose of abilify for maintenance. What doses are you all taking and for how long? How does it work for you, does it help the depressions are the mania? k.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #9

dude55 HB User

anyone know how long it should take for abilify to start working at its best. I'm taking 30mg and have been for a week 20mg week before and 10 the first week - so total of 3+ weeks.

Does abilify take has long as zoloft? If it does why haven't I seen anything from abilify's manufacturer about the medicine taking time (weeks) to begin working.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
(female)

october77 HB User
Re: Abilify

I take like 30 mg of Abilify every night and it works pretty good for me....some back aches and some sleepiness, but all in all I'd say it is one of the best medicines I've been on....for about 1 and a half years now. Hope this helps.....oh and there is a side effect medicine for the back aches.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #11
(male)

yooper829 HB User

Hello

I was on a lithium/lamactil/seroquil combo and worked sooo well for me, other than when on seroquil I literally could not get up in the morning! Great sedative qualities at night however. Just cant take the morning side effects of Seroquil anymore so my doc switched mt over to Abilify which sofar I really dont notice any problems, but Im having a terrible problem with trying to get off the Seroquil. Anyone else go off os Seroquil and have withrawal problems? Im getting naseua and flu symptoms along with being very nerveous/anxious/irratible. Had to bump it back up a little just to feel better! Sounds like some of you are on both Abilify and Seroquil which I may have to try. This sucks!

Mike

Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #12

BPNotallofMe HB User

I went off seroquil and had trouble "putting myself to sleep" without it, so my doctor prescribed trazadone. I only take it when I absolutley cannot get to sleep, and there is no morning drowsiness.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #13

BPNotallofMe HB User

I went off seroquil and had trouble "putting myself to sleep" without it, so my doctor prescribed trazadone. I only take it when I absolutley cannot get to sleep, and there is no morning drowsiness.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #14

BPNotallofMe HB User

Closed Thread