It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
(male)

DMIXEDUP HB User
My therapist and psychiatrist.....

My therapist and psychiatrist have confused me at times, but then again I just might be just worrying too much regarding if I have bipolar disorder or bp with add, or just a dreadful depression. My name is Damon, and Im new here I found this bp board after looking at some of the other boards for sexual questions that I had. Im 31 and have been currently seeing my therapist & psychiatrist, (whom both work in the same office and collaborate often), for the past 2 to 3 years now. I've taken those questionnaire forms on bp and add before with my therapist, and I clearly seen that I have the symptoms of bp. I also did one on add as well, and my therapist told me that I was on the "borderline" for it. I'm being sarcastic because I don't know what I have to be honest, whether its just bipolar or a combo of add & bipolar. I know I should see my therapist, but lately she hasn't returned my calls. I admit Im one that doesn't like seeing a therapist or psych on a weekly basis. It's a bad habit of mine to go maybe every other couple of weeks, or just once a month. Stubbornness gets the worst of me.

My current meds are lexapro 10mg, once daily and trileptal 150 mg, one full pill at nite, and one half pill with the lexapro when I get up. Dizziness is the most negative side effect that I have experienced. My fiance and her daughter have joined a YMCA a couple of months back, and Im getting back on a workout routine for my own health and benefit. It really makes me feel good, and gets the stress and hatred out of my system, however at work or in public I often yearn for just being alone working out in that gym to release some mre stress and anger out. I know I can't lose self control and lose my job depending on my "moody shifts" as I like to call them.

I apologize for drifting off my point of this thread, but I like to ramble at times Yes, I even spook myself, don't know what Im feeling or whats going to come out of my mouth. I know Im not alone with that. Anyways, I distinctly remember one session I had with my psychiatrist that I directly asked her what was wrong with me. A straight answer never came in my head. All I heard was that she was cheerful and being giddy with me telling me that I have a mixture of problems, and that she doesn't like to "label" anyone with he/she as bipolar, add, depressed, etc. That really ****** me off but I kept my cool.

They both had recommended me to see a psychologist, from which I did go and did some lenghty tests to say the least. WHEW I performed those tests on about 3 hours of sleep, but the psychologist told me that my sleep deprivation may have made a little difference on my comprehensive, cognitive, and other parts of the tests of which I cannot remember. To sum it up, his evaluation basically stated that I had schizoid traits and had major depression. I still believe to this day that I am bipolar but why oh why cannot I get a straight answer on this matter. I f#$@#ng feel like I'm being played with and just used as a fricking guinea pig so to speak.
I am sure Im not alone though. I hope to gain some friends on this post and am eager to read some responses to this. Has anything like this happened to anyone on this board or anything similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: My therapist and psychiatrist.....

I still believe to this day that I am bipolar but why oh why cannot I get a straight answer on this matter. I feel like I'm being played with and just used as a fricking guinea pig so to speak.

You have allot to say here, and I am not sure your question. But I would ask you why is it that you think you are getting played? Your doc's dont have anything to gain by diagnosing you one way or another. If you think you are misdiagnosed, get a second opinion. If they confirm the other doc, you should not fight it. Or if you are correct, then good. Either way, take the meds perscribed for your illness. If they are not working, work with your docs to get you on a cocktail that does! Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
(male)

DMIXEDUP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaric_yawp
I still believe to this day that I am bipolar but why oh why cannot I get a straight answer on this matter. I feel like I'm being played with and just used as a fricking guinea pig so to speak.

You have allot to say here, and I am not sure your question. But I would ask you why is it that you think you are getting played? Your doc's dont have anything to gain by diagnosing you one way or another. If you think you are misdiagnosed, get a second opinion. If they confirm the other doc, you should not fight it. Or if you are correct, then good. Either way, take the meds perscribed for your illness. If they are not working, work with your docs to get you on a cocktail that does! Hope this helps.

I appreciate your reply. I should YAWP it out with my therapist. LOL I'd like to see her face Dead Poet's Society is a really good movie by the way. I like that name of yours. I know I got carried away a bit typing at a tornado pace. Good to meet you, and thanks for the advice..........going to see my therapist today with plenty to talk about.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Cool, You got the referance!

Keep us posted on how your visit went!

Old 02-01-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
(male)

DMIXEDUP HB User

Hey there, just wanted to say that the therapist visit went pretty well. I got some things off my chest that needed to be laid out. They recommended lamictal for me. I got the starter pack(free samples) Thank god because it's expensive and that's what scared me away from trying it before. My copay is good, but paying up front for the lamictal is expensive for my liking. My fiance and I are going together next week to talk about some other issues. Good times ahead.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 AM   #6
(male)

DMIXEDUP HB User

One more thing I wanted to add was that my therapist chatted with my psychiatrist and she came back and told me it sounded like bipolar. I thought to myself, NO #@$^ Sherlock!! Im willing to try the lamictal, just nervous about combining it with the trileptal and lexapro. That will only be for a week as they prescribed so it wont be that bad. Anyone here take lamictal and I've read the side effects but curious about if weight gain or loss is an issue?

Old 02-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

I take Lamictal--no side effects, works great for me! Best thing since sliced bread! GLad you got your diagnosis settled, now they can properly treat you.

B.Y.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
(female)

LOWnly~Me! HB User

Hello There,
I'm glad you found this board, welcome. I have just joined and int he short time being thoroughly glad that I did. With regards to your diagnosis I know it seems of great importance that you get a diagnosis for BP is its what you think you may have. I would say the priority is your actual feelings, mood, experiences, life in general. You have treatment and therapists so are clearly doing all you can.
Psychiatrists dont like to label strictly and rule out all, in mental illness it is so very difficult to define so many various sypmtoms and tag it with one name. There are negative aspects to a specific diagnosis and they have to be fully familair, aware, and spent a generous amount of time listenening, evaluating, prescribing and monitoring before they sign their name to anything.
I hope you are well, and that your appointments you mentioned being sucessfull. Again welcome, take care.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

DMIX: how are you doing. Taking any new meds? Do they help?

B.YAWP!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
(male)

DMIXEDUP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaric_yawp
DMIX: how are you doing. Taking any new meds? Do they help?

B.YAWP!!!

YAWPING IT UP! So far so good, even though Im just on day 3 of the lamictal. Thanks for thinking of me.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
(male)

DMIXEDUP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWnley~Me!

Hello There,
I'm glad you found this board, welcome. I have just joined and int he short time being thoroughly glad that I did. With regards to your diagnosis I know it seems of great importance that you get a diagnosis for BP is its what you think you may have. I would say the priority is your actual feelings, mood, experiences, life in general. You have treatment and therapists so are clearly doing all you can.
Psychiatrists dont like to label strictly and rule out all, in mental illness it is so very difficult to define so many various sypmtoms and tag it with one name. There are negative aspects to a specific diagnosis and they have to be fully familair, aware, and spent a generous amount of time listenening, evaluating, prescribing and monitoring before they sign their name to anything.
I hope you are well, and that your appointments you mentioned being sucessfull. Again welcome, take care.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Im doing better and I need to stay focused on my therapist appointments. I had a bad habit of canceling them at the last minute.

Closed Thread