It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

amylynn123 HB User
Lithium

My sister has Bipolar Disorder.
She is on Lithium for her condition.
I was trying to get some information, b/c I have noticed an increase in anger from this drug. It is almost uncontrollable. She screams and yells all of the time...
Any one else have this experience?
I swear it has gotten even worse since the start of this drug....

Old 01-31-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User
Re: Lithium

Obviosly the drug is not working, L. might not have caused these reactions, but if it is not working then what is the differance? Get her in to a doc and get her on another regimine if you can.

B.Y.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
(female)

amylynn123 HB User

I cannot get her to go to the doctor...
Our PCP is writing the prescription w/o therapy, which I think is ridiculous...
I have told her that I will pay the bill for her to go to the doctor and get a new medicine...but, she has not gone...
She thinks she can taper her dose, or leave a few out of the lithium, but these symptoms were present even when she was at her full dose...

Old 01-31-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynn123
I cannot get her to go to the doctor...
Our PCP is writing the prescription w/o therapy, which I think is ridiculous...
I have told her that I will pay the bill for her to go to the doctor and get a new medicine...but, she has not gone...
She thinks she can taper her dose, or leave a few out of the lithium, but these symptoms were present even when she was at her full dose...
Yes, in this case you Definitely need to see another doc, this doc does not have a CLUE! If L did not mediate her earlier symptoms, then you need to get her off of it. Plus she should not take herself off w/o a docs supervision. Can you go with her to make sure she gets in? Tell her your concerns--this will only get worse.

Last edited by barbaric_yawp; 01-31-2006 at 06:57 AM.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Uncontrollable anger is not a side effect of lithium. It is a mood stabilizer and works to bring a bipolar patient to the middle range of emotion & mood.

She truly does need to at least tell her doctor about this - the doctor may not be able to talk to you about your sister, but it doesn't mean that YOU can't write a note to let them know.
She may have a 2nd diagnosis in there that they're not aware of.
Some Bipolars also have Borderline Personalitly Disorder also for example.

Common side effects of Lithium are (I have all of these in this first group)
Increased frequency of urination, increased thirst, mild nausea, slight trembling of hands
Less common: Acne or skin rash, bloated feeling or pressure in the stomach, muscle twitching
Early symptoms of overdose or toxicity: Diarrhea; drowsiness; loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea or vomiting; slurred speech; trembling
Late symptoms of overdose or toxicity: Blurred vision; clumsiness or unsteadiness; confusion; convulsions; dizziness; increase in amount of urine; severe trembling

So you'll notice that the side effects for Lithium are pretty much all physical.
Go figure, huh?
You're a great sister to be concerned. When I was 16 one of my sisters continued to talk to me & visit me, even when I was in a hospital half the state away. It still means alot to me & I'm in my 50's. So, a thank you from someone else's sister,
Ruth

Old 01-31-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
(female)

amylynn123 HB User

Thanks for your post, Ruth.
It is very hard because our mother has this same condition, but refuses to recognize or treat it...
My sister and I are the only people who my eldest sister trusts enough to talk to.
She is so mad at everyone in our family, etc.
For a long time, she just drank alot and did drugs, so I asked if she would go see the therapist that I was seeing, which she did.
Unfortunately, that doctor passed away and my sister did not carry on treatment, as I did.
I work with her all day and I am always trying to cover for her, to make sure she doesn't get in trouble b/c sometimes she isn't too nice to all of the people around us.
I am so scared to tell the primary care doctor, b/c he does not care about confidentiality laws and he will tell her. I am also afraid she just won't treat it at all, after that.
I have depression/anxiety and I always have, so my doctor pays close attention to make sure I do not have this disorder. She says that I don't show any signs besides depression.
I just don't know what we will do with my mom in the same situation....

Old 01-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
(female)

amylynn123 HB User

One more thing
I don't want anyone to think that my sister is, in any way, an inconvience to me.
I love her to death and I worry (alot!!!) everyday..
We have all been through alot (rough childhood, etc) and it makes me sad

Closed Thread