It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

lovecrockpot HB User
Topamax and sleepiness

Hi everybody,
I am new in this thread. Anybody experience side effects on Topamax? I have just started last week and feel tired even though I take in the evening, I can not wake up or function during the day. Thanks

Old 02-01-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User
Re: Topamax and sleepiness

How long have you been on the new dosage that you are currently taking? It did that to me when I began taking a new larger dosage of the Topamax. For about 2 weeks, I was still groggy in the mornings but then it subsided. Give it another week or few days and if things don't get better call the pdoc. That is just my take on things. If you have any doubts, call the pdoc now.

Coffeegirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

lovecrockpot HB User
Talking Re: Topamax and sleepiness

I have been on 2 pills before sleep (20 mg?). I was wondering if that bad feeling eventually goes away, it is hard to feel groggy most of the day.
Thanks Coffeegirl!

Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

I don't know about the prescription sleeping pills. Never been on them, however, I've made an appointment with the pdoc to get some asap. Usually it takes between 12-48 hours or longer, depending on the type of med, for the drug to be released from a persons body. If it is a sleeping drug, I am wondering if it will take longer because it is a more subdued and more potent medication?

Hang in there. Take some vitamins to be healthy. Drink lots of water (it helps provide energy- really, it does.) And, keep your hope.

Coffeegirl

Old 02-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

lovecrockpot-

I started taking Topamax a couple years ago to replace Depakote and found the only side effect it had was weight loss, for me. I also find that Diet Soda doesn't have the flavour it used to have-I rarely ever finish a whole soda anymore...

Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
(female)

Handcuffed2Life HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl2

Hang in there. Take some vitamins to be healthy. Drink lots of water (it helps provide energy- really, it does.) And, keep your hope.

Coffeegirl

I've been on Topamax for 2 years.. I am on 200mg. It has NEVER made me tired but I've heard that It's a very sedating medication from various psychiatrists... I agree will coffee girl that you should drink lots of water if you are getting tired on it. You should also take it at night. But ask your psychiatrist before you do anything.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
(female)

lovecrockpot HB User
Smile Re: Topamax and sleepiness

My doctor reccomended to take at night. I had stopped for 2 days already and as soon as I feel better, he wants me to start again in much lower dose and increase every week as I don't feel to doped. I am very excited about the weight loss because most meds, even depakote, made me gain weight.
Thanks for all imput and I will remember to drink lots of water, vitamin I alread take!

Closed Thread