It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Anyone on Effexor XR?

Hi. I know nothing about this drug, but I saw a magazine ad about how it seems to keep depression from coming back.

I'm on lexapro and it put 50 pounds on me. I'm dying to try something else.

Also the sexual aspects of lexapro are terrible. I was wondering if Effexor XR is any different.

So far I haven't found many people in the depression site on this drug so I thought I'd try this site as well. I am bipolar, but only had one episode of mania, the rest of the 20 years have been depression over and over.

I'm at the end of my rope trying to find the right med, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Salty

Old 02-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Anyone on Effexor XR?

I'm not BP. My wife is. I'm on this med and it works! However, it can be a bad med for BP. Ask the DR.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #3

billiegail HB User
Re: Anyone on Effexor XR?

I am on effexor xr and it has not affected my sex drive. It has helped it. As far as the depression coming back, Mine has, but it nothing like before. I go see my doctor feb 13 and he may increase the dose. right now I am on 150 mg up from 75. It will take a week, at least to see if it is going to work at that dose. No side effects as of yet though. I was on lexapro and it never helped me and I gained 40 pounds on it.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Arrow Re: Anyone on Effexor XR?

Do you just mean Effexor,otherwise known as,(venlafaxine)?
I have been taking that for at least two years or more.It has been helping me quite alot,but, I will tell you that if you go off of it....you will notice "swishing "sounds..which come from you moving your eyeballs in your head..believe it or not! !!!It's pretty strange,and then you also get a headache, and you also can get strange and not-so-wonderful "nightmares",as well as highly depressing thoughts....Beware! I have to always make sure that I order my meds way ahead of time..l..because I got so depressed, that I was a huge mess! I went into crying jags,and felt almost suicidal at different intervals.Now I REALLY work hard at getting my meds, ahead of time,,,,because I Loath the side effects!!!! !!!!!
But, the great thing is, is that you need to "work" with your effexor,this is what people told me ...people that I used to be in an obsessive compulsive group....they used it,and told me that it was a wonderful medicine, but, work positively with it,(Think positive thoughts with the meds, it works better!). For me, that medication worked "right away", the very day that I started to take it......although, that could have been "psychological" on my part...because my doctor said that it doesn't work right away, it takes a month or so to kick in,maybe more! But, I swear, it DID work, Right Away!!!

Ask your doctor and your pharmisists about it, and get the facts!!

nightowl2

p.s., I do not think that your sexual feelings will leave you with these meds,it doesn't hinder me....and I also think that in some ways, if you fight any type of medication....you can win...you just have to give it your all.But, there are some meds, that I would have to agree, that you honestly can't feel anything....but, I still believe in fighting it, no matter what! I never give in or give up!

Last edited by nightowl2; 02-03-2006 at 07:11 PM.

Closed Thread