It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

Munozchick HB User
Bipolar, pregnant and unable to take full dosage of Effexor

Hey all...I used to come here when I had questions about bipolar. Now, I have another. I am 4 months pregnant. Before the pregnancy, i was taking 225 mg of Effexor but decreased the dosage to 75 mg. I do not know if it is because of the pregnancy or the different dose of medicine but I am going crazy. I am exhausted. I work 6 days a week (48hrs). When i get off of work, I come home and go straight to sleep and do not wake up until I have to go back to work. On my day off, I do the same. I have not seen my husband more than an hour in a month. I can barely keep my eyes open at work and am crying because I am so tired. I am in the process of trying to find out my rights as far as asking for 2 days off per week rather than 1 to see if this would help.
Has anyone else been through this? Does anyone know where I can find out what my legal rights are to take time off from work?

I have tried searching for my rights but the subject is always maternity leave to have the baby.

Thanks,
Deanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User
Re: Bipolar, pregnant and unable to take full dosage of Effexor

What you want to research is FMLA, the family and medical leave act. The business that you work for has to be a certain size for this to be applicable.
This act provides for time off (unpaid) to be used to take care of your own or your families' health needs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Re: Bipolar, pregnant and unable to take full dosage of Effexor

Hi there

Sorry things are tough at the moment. The sleeping could just be the pregnancy, I was the same when I was pregnant with my son. I think it's fairly usual to sleep huge amounts, especially in the earlier stages.

Don't know about rights re work - I'm in the UK - here you can just be signed off by a doctor in a situation like this so you would be entitled to sick pay, plus I believe your employers are obliged to accommodate you - ie if you needed to drop your hours they would have to help you out in this way. I don't know if that would apply where you are?

As far as meds go, I took amytritylene(sp) when I was pregnant - it's one of the older anti-d's, worked well for me at the time.

I know it's really hard, but if you can, try and just accept that you need colossal amounts of sleep at the mo and try not to give yourself a hard time about it. I know it's really tough, especially if you're not seeing much of your hubby, but I think it's nature's way of getting you 'ready' - you won't sleep as much in the later stages because you'll be too big to be comfy and you'll be needing a wee every five minutes! Once the baby arrives you'll be getting less sleep as well, so I think it's nature's way of getting you to rest. The early months are the toughest on the mum in some ways because that's when the baby's forming and the really crucial development takes place - it really takes it out of you. Once the baby's 'assembled' it gets a bit easier.

Hope things start to improve - let us know how you're doing.xx

Closed Thread