It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

dlp3300 HB User
Just Diagnosed ,cant Believe Its True

hi I have never been on a message board before,but I am trying to find some advice.I just recieved this diagnoses three days ago and am not sure if it fits.Is that a normal response?I went and bought books on it and spent 2 days reading .I have been searching the internet to read anything i can on it.In aug 2005 I was diagnosed with major depression.I took a leave from work beg in jan for stress.However I think this is all justified.I have had 2 major back surgurys within a year that were unsuccessful.Now I have chronic pain.Can Chronic Pain cause Bipolar? Someone please offer some advice.My Dr.put me on topomax,which I was actually on for my nerve damage before from my pain dr.Also the dr.that told me i had bipolar just gave me a script and sent me on my way.What the %$3* is that?No explaination of how it is caused ,no insight to which type i have(which i discovered there were 2 types by research).He gave me no inclination as what to expect for the future.Now I have this "Doom and Gloom" outlook.Is Life over?Do I need to quit my high paying job and go on disability?Can I deal with stree?Will this go away?Or will I "get over it"?Someone please help.Also Can someone please help me understand what are the systoms of a nervous breakdown or "physcotic break" is?I had a very very very STRESSFUL event before this diagonsis.

Last edited by dlp3300; 02-06-2006 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
(female)

lovecrockpot HB User
Wink Re: just diagnosed with bipolar disorder

Hi,
Well you are full of questions and that is understandable, since your MD did not answer all (or anything). I don't know if pain can cause bipolar, but I know from my own experience that something can trigger the symptoms that are dorment inside of you. I learned that I was bipolar 12 years ago after my mom died from cancer in a foreign country and at the same time I had a premie baby (1LB 12oz) and he stayed 3 months in the hospital.
I take Lexapro and Welbutrin (for depression) and Topomax for balanced.
I strongly believe that life can be fun and well worth it even after finding out you have bipolar. After finding out I was bipolar, I started to play tennis, make porcelain dolls and also I built a company with 25 employees. I guess the fact that I knew I was bipolar made me appreciate life even more and enjoy every minute in a very positive way.
Hope my words can calm you down and slowly you will realize that most creative people in this world are and were bipolar. Life is beautiful and struggles only make you stronger!
Good luck!

Last edited by lovecrockpot; 02-06-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
(female)

cagedbird HB User
Re: just diagnosed with bipolar disorder

Hi, I was DX as having Bipolar 6 year's ago.My Pdoc thinks my back injury (chronic back pain)triggered my depression.But my anxiety was way worse then my depression. Big mistake to first time see Pdoc when now really depressed,due to stress in my life,mainly kids & husband.Also was going threw perimenopause at the time.Now after 6 years,my Pdoc is rethinking the entire bipolar thing,and i'm in therapy. I was having a mental breakdown when i first saw him. But he did help me with meds,and I just wish this whole thing with my DX would be either one way or the other.I like you arent sure if I am bipolar or just stressed,with monemts of depression for good reason. I was so medicated that my entire life went on hold for about the last 5 year's. Now all i want is my life back doing the things that I enjoyed before my DX and meds. Well the jury is still out on this,but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
cagedbird

Old 02-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
(female)

meljo HB User

Hi my question for ddl3300,, you said youve had 2 back surgerys.. now be honest are you at all addicted to the pain killers? alot of bps become addicts of some sort to help ease they minds of the bp.... when my hubby overdosed on pain killers we put him in rehabe and quess what ,,, thats when they said he was bp... which did make sense for us....

I do believe that the pain can cause depression and that sets everything else in motion... you will need to find a good phy dr... and do start charting your moods.. or have a loved one help you chart.. when we started charting my husbands moods it was amazing... you could see the lines go up then down.. almost as regular as a clock...

good luck... I hope I didnt just ramble on...
meljo

Old 02-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

something can trigger the symptoms that are dorment inside of you. I learned that I was bipolar 12 years ago after my mom died from cancer in a foreign country and at the same time I had a premie baby

Hi Lovec, I am sorry you had a tough time, this just reminds me of my situation where I had postpartum which, bc of MANY environmental issues (2 brothers in Iraq, husband gone all the time and mom diagnosed with alzheimers, etc), turned into bp.

I have always been depressed and was a prime candidate for bp. I agree it can lay dormant only to arise when you are in difficult situations.

B.Y

Last edited by barbaric_yawp; 02-07-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

dlp3300 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljo
Hi my question for ddl3300,, you said youve had 2 back surgerys.. now be honest are you at all addicted to the pain killers? alot of bps become addicts of some sort to help ease they minds of the bp.... when my hubby overdosed on pain killers we put him in rehabe and quess what ,,, thats when they said he was bp... which did make sense for us....

I do believe that the pain can cause depression and that sets everything else in motion... you will need to find a good phy dr... and do start charting your moods.. or have a loved one help you chart.. when we started charting my husbands moods it was amazing... you could see the lines go up then down.. almost as regular as a clock...

good luck... I hope I didnt just ramble on...
meljo
hi in response to your question ,absolutley not,I'm not peeved or anything and i can understand you thinking that.I actually pulled myself off all pain meds a few months after the 2nd surgury because I coudnt function like that.My Doctor's were none to happy.I sought out someone that would try to go a diff.way.everyone just throws pills at you and says see ya later.I got sick of that!!The job I have is very stressful and I have to be at the top of my game ,I couldn't do that on meds.,then again I couldn't do it without,I have been 'round and 'round.I found a Dr that was very anti-med which I picked on purpose,and after several injections and procedures he put me on kadian which helps alot.So Now I am rambling!hahaI am Going to keep my moods in check ,but I saw my therapist today and he disagrees with my physc.I took a physc.exam and they dx with major dep and severe anxiety,well I say No kidding!!Anyway thats the update.Take care and thanks to all for the info.Will keep you updated.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

Hiya,

Sorry to hear that your doc has been so insensitive and unhelpful (it amazes me - would they tell someone they had cancer and then just send them home with a prescription?).

I generally find that people's gut reactions are right - if you doubt your diagnosis then it's probably not the right one. The big difference between depression and BP are the 'high' periods. These vary a lot - severe mania generally accompanies BP1 , 'hypomania' (a milder form of mania) accompanies BP2. There's a good sticky post on here with a checklist of symptoms - if you don't feel you're experiencing the highs as well then it's probably not BP.

People react in all sorts of different ways to all sorts of traumas, physical, mental and emotional. The stress you mention along with the back pain could easily be the source of your current problems.

I'd advise (1) changing your doc and getting one that at least bothers to explain things to you, (2) trying to formulate your own opinions based on all the reading you've done already and (3) try and treat your symptoms as and when they crop up and cause you problems. There's a good book called 'coping with anxiety and depression' (shirley tricket) - easy to read, lots of good advice about all symptoms of anxiety and depression. If you can get it, counselling can help you deal with the day to day symptoms and problems. Healthy diet, exercise (can you swim with your back problems?) - lots of vitamins, esp B Vits and Omega 3's.

Please don't give up your job and resign yourself to a life on benefits - even if it is BP it's still possible to work. Take some time off if you feel you need to, maybe see if you can reduce your hours for a while or something, but don't resign - with a good doc and the right help you might find you're coping a lot better in a little while.

Don't give up on yourself. Keep doing the research, post here with questions, try and look after yourself well.

Let us know how you're getting on xx

Closed Thread