It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #1

billiegail HB User
Unhappy Anyone a Cast out? I feel like one.

I feel like the world has turned its back on me. Well, mostly the world at my work place. Since being DX'ed for bipolar, everyone stays away from me. I had to take two weeks off for a nervous break down and now, the very people who claim to be my friend, wont even return my calls. I won't have anything to do with them when I return, but I am heart broken and people think I am nuts. I don't act nuts, mind you, but I am open about being bipolar due to my moods. On days that I am down and angry, I put my headphones on and keep them on and I don't bother anyone and I don't want people to bother me. When I am in a good mood, I chat with everyone. I know bipolar is so misunderstood, but I also fear losing my job over this crap. My doctor has not released me to return to work and it has been almost two weeks. I am not working at a place that has to have just me there to survive, but we fall way behind when I am not there. Does anyone else suffer from the kind of treatment? How do you handle it.
Thanks

Old 02-08-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Anyone a Cast out? I feel like one.

It is normal to feel alone. You are not alone! they are others out there that do care and try to understand. However, this illness is hard to understand. Heck, my wife has had it for ??? and I still have issues from time to time.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

meljo HB User

Hang in there.. get on some meds to help even you out.. and soon they will relize they have more problems then you do...haha good luck.. meljo

Old 02-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

I feel like the world has turned its back on me. Well, mostly the world at my work place. Since being DX'ed for bipolar, everyone stays away from me. I had to take two weeks off for a nervous break down and now, the very people who claim to be my friend, wont even return my calls. I won't have anything to do with them when I return, but I am heart broken and people think I am nuts.

Hi there, know what you mean, had to find some new friends who were not judgemental.

Let me ask you this: do you start to avoid people you percieve as judgmental? Sometimes we can isolate ourselves and think that it is everyone else's fault. If not, just move on and find people who actually care--through thick and thin!

B.Y.

Last edited by barbaric_yawp; 02-08-2006 at 07:58 AM.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

My husband feels this way a lot. He tends to fly off the handle easily towards people so they find it hard to be understanding. I actually overheard one of his "friends" talking about him the other day at work. We work in the same place. He saw me and was really being a smartmouth. You know how some people can get when they are with a group of other people. He was being really mean about it. I can't remember exactly what I said but he came back with, "I don't have to deal with him, I'm not his wife." Of course I told him that he hadn't been such a great friend in the past either and I just let him know that I was aware of all the backstabbing and that he wasn't as sly as he thinks. Also told him that his attitude was pretty poor most of the time. I said my husband has BP, what's your excuse?
But on the other hand, there are other people who have shown him much more compassion since they have learned about his BP. He has been hospitalized twice in the past year and hasn't had any indicaitons that he would get fired for it. They seem to realize now that he needs to be managed differently than other workers.
I guess the moral of the story is that there are all different types of people out there. People who are truly your friends will stay your friends. Just try and stay focused on your job when you get back to work. Everything else will work itself out. You have the right to choose who you want to associate with. They don't have to choose you.
Take Care,
Nodi

Closed Thread