It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

requiemforadream HB User
Question Tegretol experiences wanted!

I am presently on Depakote, but the weight gain is not pretty, so i am researching other options. anyone that has taken Tegretol, please tell me what side effects you had and so on...

thanks in advance for helping me out.

*megan*

Old 02-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
(female)

Rani* HB User
Re: Tegretol experiences wanted!

My daughter takes tegretol. It has helped her bipolar swings, inappropiate behaviors and thoughts that others were giving her weird looks etc. On the flip side it does lower your immune system. You can do an online search of tegretol to find out all the side effects. Good Luck, Rani

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 04:03 AM   #3
(female)

lilmissnikki HB User

Hi

I have been on tegretol now for the past 10 months and over these last months i have put on weight and cant seem to get it off. Altohough i havent had any more seizures since taking it though

Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Tegretol has been absolutely fantastic for me. Has eliminated by RAGE . For the first few days when I started it, and for the first few days every time my dosage was increased, I got extreme dizziness so I had to stay at home lying down - even walking was a no, no!!

I have been side effect free for the suration except when I got up to 800mg daily. At this dose my short-term memory was also eliminated (completely). I ended up carrying a book with me - but then I would forget where I'd set my book!!! - not helpful!!! So, I was changed to Tgretol Retard. This is a time release tab so your system doesn't receive the full 800mg in one dose - rather it is released slowly. My dosage was also broken to twcie a day - 200 am, 600pm.

I THOROUGHLY recommend this one - it's changed me completely with not one lasting side effect. There are loads of posts about Tegretol and people's experiences - have a look through the BP board and you'll find them - they'll be some while ago now but there are plenty.

Nut.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

I'm taking this and not to scare you, the side effects are horrible.. Everyone is different though so don't go by me.. I just got my dosage raised and my eye sight went, I can't see. This last for an 1 hour so but it's extremely annoying..

Good luck with it and let us know how you do...

Old 07-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
(female)

barma HB User

I was on 1200 mg for the longest time... it didn't do a thing for me. As in, it didn't help at all but it didn't cause any side effects either.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-nah View Post
I'm taking this and not to scare you, the side effects are horrible.. Everyone is different though so don't go by me.. I just got my dosage raised and my eye sight went, I can't see. This last for an 1 hour so but it's extremely annoying..

Good luck with it and let us know how you do...

Old 07-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

HI I was taking Tegretol. and it does work to stop manic times... however, I had to stop it as of the rash ande I live where there is hot weather 24/7 so with Tegretol you are to stay out of the sun on hot days...

I read a lot of warning,s online about the drug and I was scared of them. so stopped taking Tegretol.

I am taking Zyprexia now........for Bipolar 1

Old 07-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Have you tried topamax?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
(female)

jendg28 HB User

I have been on Tegretol for about 2 years. 200mg, 3xday. I live in Arkansas and it is Very hot here. I have to stay indoors and I still get really hot. It really does effect your immune system. In 6 months, I had strep throat 5 times and about 3 stomach viruses. The past few months I have been okay. Like Lithium, you should get blood work done often as well. As far as success in treating symptoms I really can't tell which drug is effective because I take so many. I have not been manic for over 1 1/2 years though. Or depressed.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

I had to go off of Tegretol. as it gave me rash.. and I did research and I am afraid of tegretol.( lowered immune system)

I am taking Zyprexa.now

Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
(female)

jendg28 HB User

Mistake-I'm on Trileptal. I tried Tegretol and it gave me really bad nausea and my pdoc switched me to Trileptal. Also gave me nausea, but went away after a few weeks.

Closed Thread