It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
I Can't Stop Crying...will Someone Tell Me He/she Did Not Gain Weight On Cymbalta?

Hi. I tried again to go of A.D.'s to see if I could lose some of the weight I put on from them. I couldn't even last 5 days...

I just went back on the Cymbalta (took a 30 mg. time released capsule) that my dr. just prescribed (I only gave it a day or 2 when he first gave it to me), because I was feeling well and thought I could go without it.

I became depressed again because of a major life trigger (that's usually the way it happens) and my body just can't handle it.

I go in that black hole and do nothing but cry. Now I'm very worried that Cymbalta will put weight on me and I can't bare to think of that, it only makes me more depressed!

Please, some of you who didn't gain weight, can I please hear from you. I'm so desperate for some positive news about this A.D.! Please!

I read a post that said the person only took it every OTHER day. I thought that was interesting. If any of you know about that, please share.

Thank you,

Salty

Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Re: I Can't Stop Crying...will Someone Tell Me He/she Did Not Gain Weight On Cymbalta?

Salty,
I certainly understand the triggers for depression and that hole - I am the one who gained but I really think I am in the minority - from what I read (on the depression board there is a thread on cymbalta) most people if not all were losing weight - I believe I gained because my thyroid is messed up (I have thyroid disease and hypothyroidism) and it messes up my metabolism....I think if Cymbalta helps you, you could give it chance - my weight gain happened quickly so I think you would know pretty quick if it was going to cause that - I also know of one person who takes 20 mg a day - a very low dose - because that way she doesn't get anxious and she is not gaining weight.....The every other day sounds like an option too.....If you feel that this medicine helps and the doc agrees I would give it a chance...you can always stop....I know how you feel and about the crying that won't stop....hang in there and see what options there can be - low dose - not every day - etc....or trying and stopping if you need to - for me, the weight changed so fast that I wouldn't have had to taper to stop - I got carb cravings really bad and it was obvious right away - I just didn't stop as soon as I should have....so maybe give it a try and just keep close tabs on your weight - you may be lose weight - many people do - on that thread on the depression board - most if not all the people there were losing weight if I remember right....Wish I could help you feel better.....
Hang in there....I'll be thinking of you....
Best wishes,
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User
Re: I Can't Stop Crying...will Someone Tell Me He/she Did Not Gain Weight On Cymbalta?

Hi,
I could feel your emotional pain when I read your post. Personally, I have never taken Cymbalta. However, my sister has taken it for six months with no weight gain. I have never gained weight on any AD but I don't seem to have much of an appetite. Many people use food as a comfort and some of the AD's do slow down metabolism, so weight comes on very fast. My vice is probably more destructive than yours. When I can't function I smoke cigaretters one after the other.

Maybe some of the AD's don't cause weight gain as much as others. I was wondering if you might ask your Dr. and perhaps he/she will try you on one that might help the weight issue.

I sencerely hope whatever has upset you in your personal home life will straighten out and you will get some peace of mind. I'm so sorry you are crying so much. I know you're in such a state of emotional uphreaval that you are completely unhappy and are experiencing no happiness at all. Many of us are that way and we owe it to our comon cause..GOOD OLE DEPRESSION!! I do hope you will keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing. May I ask if you had depression before you had personal problems in your life that hurt you?? Again, take care please......
Hugs.....C Navarro

Old 02-20-2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I took cymbalta for a very short time about a year and a half ago. I had no cravings from it, like I had with other ad's. It made me lose my appetite quite severely, if I remember correctly.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
(female)

sadiegirl HB User

if anything Cymbalta has helped me keep weight off!

Old 02-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, thank all of you!!!!! Can you tell me the dosages you were on, please???

Thank you,

Salty

Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, Kathy, what thread are you talking about?

Salty

Old 02-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

30mg for a week, then 60mg.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Salty....here's the thread...

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=330304&highlight=cymbal ta

Old 03-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

I have never taken Cymbalta, but just in general... it's an SSRI, right? Anyway, when i started taking prozac I heard from some people they had gained lots of weight on it, but I didn't gain any.

Kathrin

Old 04-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #11
(female)

polishprincess HB User

I do not gain weight on Cymbalta. I have been on it since June 2005 along with Topamax. I have been on a lot of different kinds of A.D. and this is the only one in the past 10 years that has NOT made me gain weight.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad for you. I had to go off Cymbalta, it was terrible. I wanted to stay on it badly because I had no appetite, but I just couldn't...I had to go back to Lexapro and the weight gain.

Salty

Old 04-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Anything else you could try?

Kathrin

Old 04-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74, Lexapro is the only thing that seems to work for me. Unfortunately I gain weight on it, too.

Salty

Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

And it works well?

Then amybe what we should think about is ways to minimize your weight gain while on it.

Kathrin

Closed Thread