It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

RubySlippers HB User
Bipolar? Mostly Depressed....some Mania

My doc is treating me for depression. I've had depression for many years - probably all my life. I also have chronic pain and take high levels of narcotics to control the pain (was being treated for depression before chronic pain happened).

My question is this...can a person be bipolar and suffer mostly the depressive state? I seldom am truly happy, but when I am I'm really happy - I get very talkative and animated, heart pounding, hairs on the back of my neck stand up, can't stop talking, etc. The last time this happened was about three months ago when I was about to get a great job. I was very happy for about two weeks, then right back to depression. No middle range at all.

I've always suspected that I might be bi polar, but wanted to check with you experts out there to find out if one can be bi polar but only experience mania rarely, like maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Oh, and my doc put me on Seroquel. I'm not sure that's right for me since I'm more depressed and tired all the time. What do you guys think about treatment that would have more of the "upper" side effects that would make me at least "normal" since I'm so sluggish?

Thanks again!!
Angela

Old 02-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: Bipolar? Mostly Depressed....some Mania

A pretty good description of Type I Bipolar. You'll even have periods of pretty normal feelings in there.
My manias were few and far between at first, but each time they got progressively a little stronger. By the time I was finally diagnosed, my manias had escalated to a psychotic break and there was no mistaking that I was bipolar.
They put me on lithium and 'wham!' I never had another major depression or mania again. And that's been 20 years ago!
Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

klawk316 HB User

I am a very rapid cycler. My first drug was Lithium and it worked great on my mood swings. I used it for eight years and then went without for two years, and sorry I did. The lithium did leave me a little flat, but overall I did very well and would recommend it. I am know on Lamical. It too is a good drug but has left me with a short term memory problem (a rare side effect). Some days are better then other days. Nevertheless, I would recommend lamictal too. It is know to have excellent anti-depressant qualities. I'm surprised you are on Serequel. I thought it was more sedative and good for putting on weight. And since you suffer more with depression, I would not think serequel would be the doctors’ first choice. But, what do I know!? Good hunting. Karen.

Last edited by klawk316; 02-24-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Old 02-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawk316
I am a very rapid cycler. My first drug was Lithium and it worked great on my mood swings. I used it for eight years and then went without for two years, and sorry I did. The lithium did leave me a little flat, but overall I did very well and would recommend it. I am know on Lamical. It too is a good drug but has left me with a short term memory problem (a rare side effect). Some days are better then other days. Nevertheless, I would recommend lamictal too. It is know to have excellent anti-depressant qualities. I'm surprised you are on Serequel. I thought it was more sedative and good for putting on weight. And since you suffer more with depression, I would not think serequel would be the doctors’ first choice. But, what do I know!? Good hunting. Karen.
You know more than me Amyhow, I was a bit surprised at the seroquel too. I took the first three doses and stopped...partly becuause my stupid insurance company practically forces you to use mail order and it wouldn't have gotten here in time after I'd used up the "starter kit".

But....since then I've been reading about it and I don't think it's for me. I have depressed symptoms most of the time, with very intense lack of energy and fatigue. I have a friend on Lamitcal and Adderal and it seems to be working for him just fine. I'm not saying it would for me because I know everyone is different, just that I don't think I should be starting out on a drug that makes me literally fall asleep at work....A BIG no no.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Angela

Old 02-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Ruth, have you been taking lilthium for 20 years? I'm considering this med if all else fails, thx, pinkee

Old 02-26-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth6:11
A pretty good description of Type I Bipolar. You'll even have periods of pretty normal feelings in there.
My manias were few and far between at first, but each time they got progressively a little stronger. By the time I was finally diagnosed, my manias had escalated to a psychotic break and there was no mistaking that I was bipolar.
They put me on lithium and 'wham!' I never had another major depression or mania again. And that's been 20 years ago!
Ruth
Ruth, did you take lithium for twenty years? Thx, pinkee

Closed Thread