It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User
Lithium forever?

Has anyone taken lithium for a year or so and been able to stop and be ok without it? I've just never been so phyched out before in my life. If I need the lithium I will try it, but, would like to think it's not forever, anyone? I know I'm babbling alot, it's very late in the night/early morning and I can't sleep. Please share, thanks, pinkee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
(female)

klawk316 HB User
Re: Lithium forever?

I was on 1200 mg lithium for eight years, went off, and after six months started swinging again. I was like you at first, did not, did not, want to take it. Was hoping it wouldn't be forever. I was actually paranoid about it and fought my doctor all the way. Now I'm thankful for the lithium and other mood stabilizers. Don't be afraid of it. Don't be afraid that you may have to take it for the rest of your life. It has been a God sent to many people. Many take it without side effects, and if you can't tolerate the side effects you can always try another mood stabilizer. I no longer entertain the thought that I can I can go without medication, instead I am thankful for them. Not swinging is a wonderful thing... Hope this helps. Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
(female)

Lynn7580 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Lithium forever?

My sister is on Lithium and has tremendous success with it. She's been on it for more than 6 months now but the rest of the family sees a huge change in her from when she's been on other medications. She doesn't have near the amount of side effects that she had when she tried other anti-depressants, not any really, so she's really happy with the change.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

pinkeetos :

Karen and Lynn both have good testimonials about Lithium. I would like to share that I believe I am the longest BP1 taking this "natural salt". In 1970, FDA approved Lithium Carbonate for Bipolar Disorder. So I started taking it, but soon became inconsistant and then stopped it altogether. Needless to say my episodes started all over again. So from 1973 to 1984,I had 4 episodes and ended up the last one with attemped suicide. I finally decieded that stability could ONLY be achieved by compliance with Lithium. I am now at 22 years of STABILITY. I take 300mg AM and 300mg PM. And no other meds. ( Ruth is right behind me with her Lithium consistancy and her stability at 20 years ).

By the way,I still here that most pdocs will consider Lithium as the first mood stabilizer of choice !

Eyes

Old 03-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

A big hug to Eyes because I am one of the big champions of Lithium here - even with side effects my life has been basically a normal one since I went on it.
Another note, not sure who else has read about this... There are some studies that indicate that some lithium users who stop and restart lithium never reach that same degree of it working that they had in the beginning.
I have always been scared silly of going of the lithium because my manias had already spiraled up into the psychotic range by the time I was finally diagnosed and stabilized, and I just could NOT risk having that happen to me again.

Last edited by Ruth6:11; 03-01-2006 at 03:25 PM.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Ruth : Somewhere in my past reserch on Lithium,I too came across that study on Lithium users who stop and restart Lithium; may never reach full efficiency. My history does not match this study. After 4 episodes of stopping and starting Lithium, I found that it was compliance and consistency that has saved my life and has given me the stability of 22 years.

So, I really don't care if I need to take Lithium forever. At almost 64, my life is just GREAT !

Ruth and I are here to give the "Proof" on Lithium

Eyes

Old 03-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

When I get older, losing my hair... many (12) years from now,
...Will you still post me, will you still boast me, When I'm 64!

Don't let Eyes pull the age card on ya! I'm a very "old soul" of 51 who can give him a run for his wise old self -
AS LONG AS I STAY WITH THE LITHIUM.

Keep telling your self that just because you feel good it doesn't mean you'll be alright without your med. It is the steady amount of Rx that KEEPS you feeling good.
Would a Type I Diabetes patient stop taking insulin because they feel good?
We can't stop - it's a maintenance drug for us.
Just like my husband's heart medications - he actually takes more pills than I do finally!
Physical health - Mental health.
We all get to take meds!

Old 03-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Speaking words of Wisdom,
There will Be an Answer;
Let it Be..Let it Be..Let it Be.........

The Answer is the Wisdom of Consistancy with your mood stabilizer.
In my case,it took a long Time to find this Answer.

Perhaps,it is inherent within the Bipolar Mind that somehow it is natural to feel that good with out our medication.

And the cycle starts all over again.

Let it Be.. Let it Be..Let itBe.........

Eyes

Old 03-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Thanks for the posts. I've been diagnosed major depression and GAD. What scares me is this. For the past ten years I've taken all of the popular antidepressants (proazc, paxil, zoloft.....) Worked wonderfully for about a year and than pooped out. But, got rid of depression and anxiety. Stopped all meds for about 9 months, did alot of excercise and felt o.k., manageable. Now, I've been having alot on my plate and experiencing extreme anxiety. Started back on klonopin. We've tried the prozac, celexa and both caused more anxiety. Now I''ve been on lexapro for this past week and my anxiety seems to be increasing. What the hell is wrong with me? Scared to death.

Closed Thread