It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

TXRDRUNNERMOM HB User
Unhappy 12 yr old bi polar

my 12 yr old dtr was recently diagnosed with bi polar disorder? Please help me learn how to deal with her swings and depressions. she is currently taking 60 mgs of geodone daily. any suggestions would be helpful!!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-01-2006 at 05:47 AM.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
(female)

klawk316 HB User
Re: 12 yr old bi polar

Hi mom, Please get yourself ready to be your child's biggest medical advocate. Your are really going to have to be on top of the meds the doctor will prescribe. From what I read, I'm not impressed with geodon, although you may notice that most of them have not been taking it for long. Is it a fairly new drug??

Good luck. Karen

Ps: I think the correct spelling is geodon, not geodone...

Last edited by moderator2; 03-01-2006 at 05:49 AM. Reason: do not post commercial websites for any reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

TXRDRUNNERMOM HB User
Unhappy Re: 12 yr old bi polar

OK IS SHE TAKING THE RIGHT MEDS? SHOULD SHE BE ON SOMETHING OTHER THAN AN ANTIDEPRESSANT? SHE WAS ON PROZAC FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS HOWEVER I NEVER SAW THE MANIA WHILE SHE WASA TAKING THAT. WITH GEODON AT AROUND 330 HER SYSTEM GOES NUT AND SHE CANNOT SIT STILL OR BE QUIET, IS THIS NORMAL?

Old 03-02-2006, 02:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

There is such a lack of info out there about kids and mental illness. What a shame! There is a general lack of info about mental illness too.
However, there is hope. There are local, state and national support groups out there that can be of help. You might try a search of Mental health + support + your state (TN, Ky, ect....) and see what comes up.
Keep your self here too. This is the best board that i've ever seen. The people here are just wonderful.

Mudhound

Old 03-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
(female)

klawk316 HB User

I wish I could tell you what she should be taking,,, but cannot do. Everyone reacts differently to medications. What works for one, may not work for another. I donít think anyone on this support group can tell you what medicine your child should be taking. All anyone can do is give their good and/or bad experiences with certain meds., and there is no guarantee that your child will have the same experience. You need to be confident about the doctor she is seeing. Who recommended he/her? Have they had experience with bipolar children? Ask around for recommendation, maybe her pediatrician knows of a good doctor. Whoever the doctor, you must notify them at once if your child is having problems with the medication. Wish I had the answer. k

Closed Thread