It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
(male)

zigwyth HB User
Re: Those with Type II Bipolar What meds have helped you? How long did they take to work?

Just diagnosed as possible BP II. Can anyone tell me what the typical meds that I keep seeing pop up are used for? As well as what seems to be the safer ones to try.I posted another thread about the fact that I will be seeing a Psychiatrist next week and want to try and have info going in and see if I agree with his assessment. I basically go through mild to mid depressive bouts once a week. Suicidal tendacies once a quarter, manic states also about once every 2 months and extreme fatigue from lack of sleep. (Mind racing every night. Already have tried Paxil which nearly found me dead. Ambien/Xanax no longer helps, and Zyprexa which got me to sleep but still "Hungover " next day. Followingare the ones I keep seeing. Abilify, lithium, lamictal,seroquel, trazodone, etc. Thanks ZIG

Old 03-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
(female)

buzzkill HB User
Re: Those with Type II Bipolar What meds have helped you? How long did they take to work?

Hello All
I take depkote 500mg twice a day for a mood stabilizer and Paxil for depression....thankfully this is working wonderfully for me...
After LOTS of trial and error- and a really bad go with Lithium.
Many years of self medicating and swinging
But it is up to each person what works. I hear Fish Oil works wonders too

Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
(female)

klawk316 HB User

Lithium worked best, 1200mg daily, eight years, took about three weeks to kick in, some side effect (light tremor and left a little flat). Would recommend.

Tried self medication for two years, big mistake.

Now on Lamictal, 250mg daily, 1.5 years, took four months to get up to 250, still swing a little, bad periodical short term memory. Would recommend.

No antidepressants, they make me manic and then send me swinging.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
(female)

hokiegirl74 HB User

Hi, I am a Type II Rapid Cycling Bi-Polar, meaning my periods between mania and depression happen with days and weeks. My normal was about a week of mania and a few days of depression. Since my diagnosis, I have tried multiple anti-depressents which always resulted in stronger mania symptoms and virturally no sleep.

I am now on Equetro (300mg) and Lamictal (100mg - working up to 200mg). I tried Seroquel and it was just not the drug for me - I felt like I was walking thru a slow motion world all the time.

Now - I feel more balance - I do miss my mania, but as I was watching it start to control me instead of the other way around, I am scared to miss it too much.

As I am feeling more balanced, but still trying to physically do the things I could do in mania's, I am tired by the time I go to bed! I am also taking mutli-vitamins and larger doses or fish based oils as recommended by my MD - seems to be helping. I feel better than I have in years. I still get up and I still get down, just not so harsh now and not so out of control. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
(male)

zigwyth HB User

Thanks to Hokie, Klawk, and Buzz. Well, just got back from the Doc. He concluded BiPol ll. Lithium for stability and Serequol(Sp?) for sleep. Have heard some bad things/good things about both. But guess i gotta start somewhere. Am totally exhausted from lack of sleep. Been taking good M.V. and Fish oil now. Started exercising. Wish me luck.
Thanks-Will keep U informed.

Closed Thread