It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
(female)

Musique96 HB User
Question Unusual Symptoms ?

I have suffered with depression for years. Was diagnosed as bi-polar a few years ago, but still not convinced that's correct. Or maybe I have a milder case those I've heard and read about. Has anyone suffered from incapicatating procrastination? Putting off doing things that are detrimental to one's overall living?

I find myself doing (or actually not doing) important things for no apparent reason. I will tell myself all of the important and necessary things that have to be done, then find a million excuses as to why I should put it off. "I'll do it tomorrow", "I'll do it after I finish..." or whatever.

I have always had a hard time with indecision (I'm a Libra), but this is total procrastination and I'm baffled. I do have a myriad of the typical and common symptoms that others suffering from depression and bi-polar have.

Another thing I find myself 'not doing' is socializing. I rarely leave my house for any reason, I talk to friends less and less, I used to talk to someone daily and e-mail a lot, but now I have friends that I haven't seen or talked to in months and months.

If anyone has any feedback, I would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone for "listening"

Old 03-09-2006, 03:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Unusual Symptoms ?

OMG! I have never heard anyone say they had this before! "Incapacitating procrastination"- what an excellent term! I don't have bipolar disorder (I take Lamictal for possible cyclothymia and my Asperger's, though), but I sure as hell have this. I attribute it to my severe OCD and panic attacks. I will literally get "frozen", paralyzed with fear, and I can't move. This is why I put things off until the last minute, so my panic will fuel me, and the fear of not getting it done outweighs the fear of doing it in the first place. Assignments are naturally the best example for me, but just about anything will qualify: getting a shower, calling someone, brushing my teeth, writing an essay (probably the worst of all), cleaning my room, simply opening a textbook- you name it. I call it "compulsive avoidance due to procrastination", a term my CBT therapist agrees with. However, it isn't all OCD; part is the Asperger's. My therapist says that it's as if I'm constantly balancing between "safe" and "unsafe", and any little thing will make me feel "unsafe". This is why I procrastinate, so I don't have to deal with the intense anxiety that results from performing the task. Do you by any chance have any anxiety disorders in addition to the bipolar disorder? I'd be interested to know. Good luck, and God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

summerblue HB User

Hi, I just read your post. I have been depressed for quite some time now. I totally understand the not socializing thing. I had a major trama about 4 years a go and since that time I have cut off most of my friends and family. I really only see anyone(brothers and sisters)if I really have to. I hate going out and I really use to love to before. I always had friends over my home, but now I really am not interested in doing so. I screen all my calls and hardly make any unless it is absolutly necessary. I don't take anything for depression, I get bad reactions, and had to go off anixety medication as I was getting very depended on them. I really don't know what else to say except I know how you feel.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
(female)

Musique96 HB User

Gatsby-
Thanks for the info. Regarding other disorders - not sure. I've only been to one dr that gave me lithium and depakote. Didn't help, so I went back on Prozac which my family dr. has had me on for approx 12 years. That seems to help, but I sill will go thru periods of being down. I'm going to ask if increasing the dose might help, or perhaps I should be happy with the way things are.

My primary reason for seeking help years ago, was anger. When I'm off Prozac, it returns. But I'd like to find a way to stop the 'down' periods. It consumes me. I work 4 hours every morning weekdays, but it's all I can do to get up and go to work during those periods. Usually I go home and sleep and watch tv - barely functioning.

These periods are usually during gloomy, winter. If I force myself to do things and keep busy, sometimes I can manage.

I have 5 kids (14-25) and an unblieveable family history of depression. My mother and grandmother committed suicide. I have no living family at all - just my kids. I have also had several traumatic life experiences to add to everything.

I wanted to see if anyone has had similar experiences & symptoms and if so, what medicine or other things have helped. I have Crohn's Disease for 30+ years and the support groups/discussion boards have helped tremendously.

Thank you again for your kindness and taking the time to "listen".

Old 03-10-2006, 12:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I'm sorry that you've had to go through all of this; it must be hard having lost a whole family to depression. Your response, though, makes me think that you're not bipolar, just depressed. People who are bipolar or are predisposed to bipolar disorder (those who have only had a depressive episode, but may become hypomanic or manic in the future), will most likely develop a (hypo)manic episode while only on an anti-depressant. For some reason, anti-depressants by themself seem to induce (hypo)mania. Anyone who is bipolar must be on a mood stabilizer such as Lithium, Depakote, or Tegretol, or they will certainly switch into the "high" position. If you've been on Prozac ONLY for 12 years, and you have only experienced periods of depression, I highly doubt the diagnosis of you being bipolar. You may want to bring this up to your doctor. Good luck, God bless, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 03-10-2006 at 12:54 AM.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
(female)

Musique96 HB User

I agree with you, but I'm not sure if I have truly experienced mania episodes. I did read everything I could get my hands when my psychiatrist said I was bipolar, and it's hard for me to really decide. I have always been a person with LOTS of energy normally. I run circles around my husband. My kids are very energenic naturally also.

I have had periods in the last few years where I rarely eat and sleep. And my mind normally goes 10 different ways at once. But I've never heard any voices, gone on spending or gambling sprees or a lot of other symptoms I've read about. I do prefer to be alone most of the time and rarely interact with anyone or even leave the house during some periods.

That's why I agree with you or I have a very mild case. I would love to get back into counseling - I had a wonderful one for a few nonths and he moved out of the area.

Thank you again for listening. Anyone else out there have any ideas or suggestions.....

Closed Thread