It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
(male)

bbyko HB User
Question for those collecting SSD because of BiPolar -- how has it affected you?

I have been thinking of applying for Social Security Disability due to my BiPolar disorder, and trying to get re-trained at school. This is a question for those collecting SSD. How has it affected your self-esteem ? How has it affected your relationships with others -- do they look at you differently ? Do they see you as being lazy, crazy or unmotivated ? I'm curious.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Question for those collecting SSD because of BiPolar -- how has it affected you?

My wife is on ss dis. It was best for her and others too.
Her illness is just like any other. It must be treated.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
(female)

LOWnly~Me! HB User
Re: Question for those collecting SSD because of BiPolar -- how has it affected you?

Hello There,
I hope that you are well today..... In answer to yuor question from my perspective, I am in receipt of Disability Living Allowance which is paid because of my inability to work due to the BP and OCD etc etc....
You say do people look at you differently... well a quotation that I think rather appropriate here is;

"Always be and say exactly what you are and feel, because those who mind dont matter, & those that matter dont mind"

Your close friends and family will apprecaite that your mental illness is affecting you greatly and to the level where you cannot perform on a professional level. That does not equal to laziness in no way shape or form and anyone who perceives it in that light is someone who has limited if any knowledge about mental illness, if that is the case and they are a part of your life maybe they should look at reading up a little.

"We are here to enlarge our souls, light up our brains and liberate spirits."

I would say the most important thing in all of this is how you feel about the situation, once you know draw from that the many positives.... You are allowing yourself the time needed to fix and focus on your problems. If you dont things could worsen, it takes more of a person to freely admitt they are in need of help, than to live in denial and internally worsen... I wish you all the very best. God bless and take care.

Last edited by LOWnly~Me!; 03-11-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Closed Thread