It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #1

lunapark HB User
night sweats

Hi all, new here so I hope this hasn't been asked 1 million times.

I was dx'd 4 yrs ago and after a rocky start have been stable & doing very well. Working fulltime, active, normal life, etc.

But about 9 mo. ago I started getting hellacious night sweats. I'd wake up and have to towel off, sleep on a towel, move to the couch, etc. It isn't that I feel hot, like you would if you were working in the sun or something. I just sweat like Niagara Falls for no apparent reason.

At first I thought it was the Remeron I was taking for sleep, b/c it had other unpleasant side fx. But I went off it and the sweats remained.

They don't happen every night, and some nights they're worse than others. I had a hysterectomy several years ago but I still have my ovaries...but I'm only 43!!! How could I be going thru menopause at this age??

What I'm worried about is that this might presage a manic episode--although I haven't felt any other indications of anything but stability.

I am taking Paxil 20 mcg once a day (morning), Lamictal 150 mg twice a day, and Levothroid (for my thyroid, not my BP) 100 mcg a day in the morning.

What do you guys make of this? Should I be worried?

Thanx,
lunapark

Old 03-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: night sweats

Bipolar aside, you should go over to the menopause board...
43 is definitely NOT too early for perimenopausal symptoms - if your other medication's side effects don't list night sweats...

(Bipolar and menopausal ain't fun, trust me!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

klawk316 HB User
Re: night sweats

I started peri menopause when I was 42. Had day and night sweats. The night ones would drench me. Had a lot for the first four years, stopped for two, and now, post menopause, I get night sweats infrequently. I tried the estrogen, over counter and perscription, and they made me hypo-manic. Some say that vitamin E can help. Your right about lack of sleep, it could cause a manic, best to tell your doctor right away about the sweats, maybe he/she could recommend something to help. Try the vitamin E, it can't hurt, it might help. The menopause message board would probable be a big help. Good luck. karen

Closed Thread