It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

Niisa HB User
Question chronic cold!

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and just stumbled upon these boards (fortunately) as I was trying to do some online research for side effects of the meds I'm on- Wellbutrin and Trileptal. I'm fairly newly diagnosed (about 6 months ago- after a hugely stressful and fairly traumatic year or two - the diagnosis was more of a relief than anything) and I can really relate to what I've read here! I've only poked around here a bit so far, but it seems like a great community and I'm really excited to find you!

So here is my first question: I can deal with the dizziness, sleepiness (and lack of sleepiness!) etc., along with all of the opther lovely side effects that you get to enjoy on these meds - only to finally level out and then get your meds increased again, of course- but it seems like I've gotten one cold after the other this entire fall/winter. Like at LEAST one a month. More annoying than anything. Now granted I've been working in a restaurant 6 shifts a week (talk about germs) , started a business about 9 months ago and have been totally flat out, many times into the wee hours of the AM only to get up and go to the restaurant, AND started a medical class that runs 8 hours a week (with disgusting amounts of studying required taht I just didn't anticipate in my frenzied rush into random activities) Add to it the usual need to overacheive issue (love to find a happy medium someday between totally overwhelmed and recklessly driven) that will not allow me to stop or decrease anything I'm doing- except the restaurant, and that I HAVE to do for consistent $$$- or get less than a high A in my class. All of this I started AFTER I was diagnosed and finally got over the initial major gutwrenching part of the depression that finally got me out of my house and to the doc in the first place. I still feel generally lousy, most of the time, but this ridiculous amount of activity probably just takes my mind off of it except when I get overwhelmed. This also feels something like the most I've ever actually had a plan to do something versus just bumping along as life led me. So I feel like no matter what, I can't stop....although sometimes that really REALLY pisses me off.

So back to the question (I swear) ....does anyone else feel like they've had a chronic cold for like 4 months? Off and on, varying degrees of lousiness, sometimes with a cough, sometimes without, sometimes after someone you know has been sick, sometimes all alone in your circle? I've come down with another today, but never really lost the runny nose from the last, maybe three weeks ago. Could it be a byproduct of the meds? Does something I'm taking affect the immune system? Stress? Being tired and rundown? I asked my doc but she sort of brushed me off. I'm otherwise totally healthy, and even the colds that come and go are more annoying than severe or anything. I can't find anyone else talking about this, other than a brief mention in the post to newbies, which made me feel slightly better but as somebody who obsesses completely, still in need of slightly more reassurance! Is this something pretty common? I've been healthy as a horse my whole life, with the exception of migraines that usually don't even stop me. I am so tired!

In rereading this I'm not even sure my post makes sense ( sorry for the rambling) I've never had anyone to ask before today!! So thank you for any reassurance or insight you can provide!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
(female)

lbritton HB User
Re: chronic cold!

You might want to see an allergist! Your P-doc may not be aware of a connection with your meds, but there might be to some degree... Perhaps it will straighten itself out in time. Hang in there! I know that my meds can dehydrate me... and if you are having cold symptoms, that can dehydrate you too! Be careful to drink plenty of fluids.
Best of luck to you.
L

Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

cagedbird HB User

Your not alone,I've been sick for 7 weeks! I don't even work,so it's not like I'm around lot's of people. But my grandkids come by and always kiss me hello & goodbye. Sure enough ,they get sick that night and I either comedown with what they have by that night or the next night. I have never gotten this sick with colds and viruses before. Everyone i know is sick. In my area everything this year is widespread. Hope you feel better soon

cagedbird

Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

Niisa HB User

Thanks VERY much for your responses....I have ANOTHER cold right now!!!! This is making me crazy! I'm just relieved its not only me! Thanks again!

Old 03-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

cagedbird HB User

Hi Niisa... hey i just noticed where your from,I'm also in CT.!!! No wonder were as ill as we are!! LOL!! I feel good this week so far,but the week isn't over yet! My grandson is sick with another nasty cold with a horriable cough,and I'm supposed to baysit him this coming week. My granddaughter is sick,glassie eye'd,cold,fever........ People i know in our town have been sick for months with one thing after the other! This is the first year we have been this sick like this,my circle of people are about 20 or so. Feel better and wash those hands haha,like that will help!

cagedbird

Closed Thread