It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
(male)

dave_81 HB User
could my psychotic depression be bipolar

Hello everyone,

Officially I have psychotic depression and normally post on the depression board. Recently, however, I've started to wonder if I really have bipolar. I am always intensley depressed and hear voices (my name being called out, whispering, derogatory expressions, etc.); but I'm also always very agitated and anxious. (Sometimes I can't sit down I'm so agitated and just take to walking around the house.) I also have difficulty sleeping. The problem is, I never get high -- I just always feel really depresssed and agitated. Does this sound more like bipolar II than unipolar depression to anyone? I haven't mentioned this to my p-doc yet; I'm going to next time I see him. Oh yeah, I been on several anti-depressants and anti-psychiotics, all with no effect -- another thing that makes me suspect bipolar.

Any thoughts/advive would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dave_81

Last edited by dave_81; 03-16-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: could my psychotic depression be bipolar

Your suspicions may be warranted. It sounds as if you may be having a mixed episode, a condition of bipolar disorder where one experiences symptoms of both depression and full-blown, psychotic mania simultaneously. You may want to check with your doctor. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
(male)

dave_81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
Your suspicions may be warranted. It sounds as if you may be having a mixed episode, a condition of bipolar disorder where one experiences symptoms of both depression and full-blown, psychotic mania simultaneously. You may want to check with your doctor. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
Thanks for the reply Gatsby.

I have a question. Is is possible to be depressed and manic/psychotic at the same time? It's just that I thought people were only manic when they were 'high'. Now, I never get high, just extremely depressed and very agitated/anxious. So, is it possible to be both depressed and manic at the same time?

Best,

Dave_81

Old 03-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
(female)

piglets7 HB User

Dave, Hopefully this one will get to you, Ihave unipolar cause I usually go right down so I can't funtion, also have not found drugs that help all the time, any help? My anxiety gets out of hand, I also get cross cause it has taken me along time to try and work any of this delightful condition out. All the best

Old 03-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
(female)

piglets7 HB User

Dave, Hopefully this one will get to you, I have unipolar cause I go right down so I can't funtion,no highs also have not found drugs that help all the time, My anxiety gets out of hand, I also get cross cause it has taken me along time to try and work any of this delightful condition out. All the best

Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dave81- Yes, it's possible to be both manic and depressed at the same time; that's the definition of mixed mania. I'm even more convinced that you're experiencing mixed episodes now that you have said that you are not only depressed but also anxious and irritable. Not everyone who goes through mania is "high" or euphoric. Classic bipolar mania (not seen in a mixed episode) does have euphoria and grandiosity mixed in with the violent irritability. However, in a mixed episode, the mania comes across exactly as you described it: irritability and anxiety. Many people describe it as a "tired-but-wired" feeling: they are so revved up on the inside, they can't sleep, their mind's going a million miles an hour, they have so many ideas and thoughts going on, but they physically can't move because of the depression and the fatigue. It's a very paradoxical state. The anxiety usually comes from the delusions/hallucinations. If you truly are having a mixed episode, then you are definitely bipolar I because you're having the psychotic symptoms. Another reason why it seems to me that it could very easily be mixed episodes is that you've had difficulty getting stabilized with medication. Even if a doctor knows that a patient has bipolar disorder, mixed episodes tend to be harder to treat than the standard, "classic", euphoric manias that often use lithium. Most likely, if you are bipolar with mixed episodes, you'll be put on Depakote or Tegretol, which seems to work much better than lithium for these cases. The so-called "high" of bipolar mania, seen in the euphoric types, is sort of an illusion itself- in the end, when the person is completely experiencing full-blown mania, the state really isn't any different than acute disorganized schizophrenia. It's a very scary place to be from what I've read. Thoughts become too jumbled, nothing makes sense, paranoia sets in... I hope this explains it better, but if not, feel free to ask for clarification!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 03-17-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
(male)

dave_81 HB User

Thanks a lot for the replies guys; it really helps to know there are people out there who understand what I'm going through.

Gatsby -- I really think that I might be having a bipolar mixed episoded. Thanks for alerting me to the existence of such a thing. I came accross the criteria for a mixed episode, and it really sounds like me:

Criteria for Mixed Episode

A. The criteria are met both for a Manic Episode and for a Major Depressive Episode (except for duration) nearly every day during at least a 1-week period.

B. The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

C. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatment) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).
Note: Mixed-like episodes that are clearly caused by somatic antidepressant treatment (e.g., medication, electroconvulsive therapy, light therapy) should not count toward a diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

No problem, Dave! I'm just glad that I was able to help you in some way! Good luck with your treatment, and I'm always here to answer any questions if need be!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread