It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Need Help In Adjustment of Meds ~ Celexa & Abilify

Hi, Everyone I will try not to take up too much space here but my 14 year old daughter is on Celexa & Abilify which she started on 3/5. The Abilify is 5 mg each evening and they just increased her Celexa from 5mg to 10mg and we were instructed to get her to take that each morning and eventually get her up to 20mg. The increase took place on 3/17.

Prior to being increased the p-doc felt that my daughter was way too sedated. Since the increase the sedation is even worse and we have dizziness occurring with some almost black out spells and ringing in the ears after 2 days. The Nurse Practitioner told us to keep a watch on it, increase her fluid intake and assures us that it should level off by the end of the week and has instructed us not to make any further increases. We have also cut out gym for the next 2 weeks.

My daughter called from the nurse this morning with dizziness again accompanied by a stomach ache and headache. Her teachers have been calling me with complaints about her falling asleep in class and her zombie like appearance. I called the NP again and she thinks switching the Celexa to the evening will hopefully improve things.

My question is....when will the meds level off enough and we have our daughter back in an unsedated state???? And how will we know that we have the best/right meds???

It is difficult to even know if they are actually working.....my daughter has cut once again since home (but not before the Celexa was increased) and says that her self injury thoughts have somewhat increased. The NP is aware of this and feels the med still needs a chance to adjust.

I guess I just need some reassurrance from others here of what timeframe we are looking at to see overall improvement......I want my daughter back and just feel as if her entire personality and being that we love is MIA!!! Her teachers and friends are noticing it too.

Thanks all....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-21-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
(female)

cagedbird HB User
Re: Need Help In Adjustment of Meds ~ Celexa & Abilify

Sounds to me like you need to call her pdoc ASAP! I had this happen to me, dizzyness, ringing in the ear's, too sedated. I'm no pdoc... but sounds to me like an overdoze of meds. She may be med sensetive,and the 20mgs are too high a doze. This treatment by the NP is unreal! Don't let this go on, this is not right,call her PDOC now!

cagedbird

Old 03-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Thanks, Cagebird.......her p-doc is away for 3 weeks, I placed a call into the NP and we are to meet with her and another p-doc covering who so happened to see my daughter as an inpatient and we will be discussing a change in meds. My daughter called once again from school saying that her tongue is twitching, her face as well and that she is now not only dizzy but her heart is hurting. Thank God her next dose is due tonight!!!

Thanks so much for your input...my maternal instincts were telling me to do something and you gave me the jumpstart needed. I am nervous about different meds......I don't even like my daughter being on the meds!!! If it weren't for the self injury I would hold off on them!!

Thanks again ~ Goody

Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
(female)

Donte HB User

She shouldn't be increasing in the thoughts of cutting and hurting herself. Sounds to me like she needs an increase in the Abilify or a change altogether. If she is bipolar, the increase in the Celexa will aggravate her symptoms. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Hi, Donte Thanks for popping in. As you already know, my daughter is still in the diagnositic phase. The one doctor feels that she fits some of the traits of mild bipolar but is not bipolar exhibiting some of the symptoms.....a colleague who is now following my daughter as an outpatient feels that she has more of a depressive disorder and was attempting to up the Celexa with the hopes of getting her off of the Abilify all together. He is on vacation now and it is obvious that one of these meds is not agreeing with my daughter. The NP thinks it may be the Abilify...without a clear diagnosis I am with you on the use of a SSRI if they are uncertain as to whether or not she is bipolar.

Am I thinking this out right??? Remember...this is all new to me and I am trying to figure out what will be best without seeming as if I am overiding the doctors. Thanks for your input....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-22-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
(female)

Donte HB User

Unfortunately, sometimes we have to overide the doctors because they are not with our child 24/7 like we are. Sometimes, they go by one thing that you say to them instead of putting the whole picture together. I think I posted before that when my daughter was first hospitalized, the first two days her diagnosis was major depressive disorder. Upon more observation of her after those two days, they called me and told me that her diagnosis was bipolar disorder with psychotic features. They treated her with depakote, zoloft and risperidol (for the psychotic features). Although, they were more than likely correct with her diagnosis, they couldn't have more wrong about the meds that would help her. It wasn't until I found another doctor (a very well known good one in my area) that we changed her meds and within a few shorts weeks, she was happy again and functioning normally. They don't always know what will work. Trust your gut instinct as to whether or not you feel the medicine is working or you're just wasting your time with it.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hi, Donte and Cagebird ~ We met with the NP and she evaluated my daughter using an AIMES test and decided it would best to decrease both meds by half to see how she does on that.

The testing she did regarding the side effects of the meds to her was not weighing to heavily and she wanted to attempt the decrease until the doctor returns from vacation rather than change the meds. Today, one of my daughter's teachers and my daughter herself said that the tiredness was decreasing for the first time....so perhaps we had some leveling off going on.

My daughter expressed to the NP how her friends were telling her that she was too boring and how she had to tell them that she was on meds that made her feel tired. As far as she was concerned she wants to be off the meds and the NP said that she would have to discuss that with the doctor when he returned but for now we would try decreasing the meds and see if that perhaps made things better.

I am comfortable with this....other than the tiredness/dizziness the meds seem okay and I was reassurred by the NP's evaluation and examination that taking the step of decreasing the meds may be better than changing them altogether.

I guess in a few more days we should know. Thanks again for your support.

~ Goody

Old 03-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
(female)

cagedbird HB User

Hi Goody, I'm so happy to hear your NP with stand in pdoc decreased your daughters meds,glad she is feeling better now. I hope her pdoc figures out what her Dx is,& can get her meds stright. I'm bipolar,I have Cyclothymia it's a mild form of bipolar. I've been Dx for 6 year's now,and my meds make me tired. I can't imagine being 14 and feeling this way. I guess with the cutting she has done to herself,going off meds is a bad idea. Keep a good eye on her till her pdoc come's back from vacation. If she is bipolar being on the meds she's on she could become manic. Feeling good is one thing,feeling too good is a whole nother story.

cagedbird

Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

The thing is my daughter does not feel good. Like you said she is tired and feeling as if she is boring and that others see her that way while on the meds. Last night even before decreasing the meds her sister walked in her room and caught her trying to cut herself with one of her earrings. This occurred after our daughter was upset when she had to do a paper for her
chorus that is due on Friday. My husband went to assist her and saw that she was just copying & pasting the information onto another piece of paper on the computer and told her that it was plagerizing. She said she didn't care we both told her that it should be done the correct way and to split it up and do the research and then write it up in her own words tomorrow. She said she was too tired and didn't care if she got a 0 and went up to bed. That is when our older daughter found her trying to cut herself.

I went up and talked with her without disclosing my knowledge of her attempting to cut. I told her that I understood her feelings regarding the meds and that hopefully with the decrease we would see some improvement. I shared with her how some meds I take for my chronic back condition make me feel sometimes even as bad as having the pain in different ways but that I know that it won't be forever and I have to get through it. I told her that the docs fee that she will only need to be on these meds for a short while and that we needed to hang in there until they got them adjusted well enough for her not to feel so tired. She expressed that she knew that she didn't have to take them if she didn't want to and told me that she felt she didn't need them. I told her that so long as she felt the need to harm herself that she did and to know that I was there behind her 100% to make sure that the meds and therapy made her life happier and healthier and to hang in there while we did so. I asked her what I could do meanwhile to make her life easier,.....she asked me to call her teachers and talk to them about how the meds are making her tired so that they would understand more. I agreed to do so.

I called her gym teacher since she is missing gym who expects her to write a paper in the library instead of participating in gym. I asked if he would allow her time to catch up on her academics before requiring a paper from her while spending time in the library. He said he would allow her that for today but starting next week she would have to do what was required because if he made an exception for her he would have to do so for all the other students.

I am trying to reduce the stress as much as possible for my daughter.....she seems to think I am placing the stress on her when I try to help her organize her studies. She sees the therapist today....I am nervous about the meds being decreased and her still wanting to harm herself.

This is so painful to go through and I just wish that we could find out what the problem is......with no clear diagnosis it makes it so much more difficult to know whether things are going the right way. Our diagnosis is "mood disorder" and until they pinpoint exactly what that is we are in LIMBO. I se no signs of mania.....if anything we are tired and depressed.

Thanks for the continued support ~ Goody

Old 03-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
(female)

Donte HB User

I sooooo understand what you are going through with your daughter. It was the hardest thing I ever had to go through in my life when I dealt with my daughter's condition. And, now, I'm going through it with my son. I feel so helpless sometimes and I just want all the right answers so I can start fixing it and making it go away. I see that same desperation in your words. I'm so sorry you have to go through this and your daughter has to go through this.

Manic episodes can either be marked by euphoria or irritability. My son has irritability. Here is something I found on the internet. It might be worth asking your doctor about. Very interesting that they say it lasts a couple of years. That could explain why some people seem to get better and do okay without meds after a while?? Maybe she doesn't have "bipolar" but something milder like this.

"Cyclothymic Disorder. While cyclothymic disorder is not as severe as either bipolar disorder II or I, the condition is more chronic. Hypomanic symptoms tend toward irritability as compared to the more euphoric symptoms of bipolar II. (One report, in fact, referred to these patients as having "darker" natures while bipolar II patients were "sunnier.") The disorder lasts at least two years, with single episodes persisting for more than two months. Cyclothymic disorder may be a precursor to full-blown bipolar disorder in some people or it may continue as a low-grade chronic condition."

Old 03-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
(female)

cagedbird HB User

Hi Goody~ glad to hear she is seeing a therapist.I hope she likes him/her.A good therapist is a plus ,she can tell them everything she can't tell you. I have felt so much better since finding my therapist,it helps to talk to someone knowing that you can tell them anything. My older daughter about 6 years ago started cutting she was 23 and a mother of 2 at the time. She was DX as bipolar,but had OCD too. She would cut her arms up pretty bad from stress. She only did it for a short time. she said she felt better after,as stress relief. How long has she been cutting her self? Do you know when this started? Was there one thing that triggered her cutting? Abilify is for the treatment of mania,it's an antipsychotic. Why did they put her on this? Celexa is an antidepressant (SSRI). As for school work,and being on meds I'm sure she doesn't care at this point if it get's done or not.She's young,and I'm sure her self esteem is low right now. Hopefully her therapist will make some sense of all of this,and give her the tools to cope. Hang in there,I'm sure your pdoc will find out soon what is going on with her.

cagedbird

Old 03-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedbird
Hi Goody~ glad to hear she is seeing a therapist.I hope she likes him/her.A good therapist is a plus ,she can tell them everything she can't tell you. I have felt so much better since finding my therapist,it helps to talk to someone knowing that you can tell them anything.
Yes, I agree that going to the therapist is going to be vital to my daughter getting through this. And thankfully she does like him. After yesterday's session she came out feeling so much better....I could see t on her face.

Quote:
My older daughter about 6 years ago started cutting she was 23 and a mother of 2 at the time. She was DX as bipolar,but had OCD too. She would cut her arms up pretty bad from stress. She only did it for a short time. she said she felt better after,as stress relief. How long has she been cutting her self? Do you know when this started? Was there one thing that triggered her cutting?
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter cutting....I know that must have concerned you as it does me. I am learning more about it being a release of what is hurting most inside and can be addictive if not caught early enough. I am hoping that with the meds and therapy she will learn other healthier means of expressing her pain and dealing with the stresses/friustrations in life.

My daughter started cutting 2 years ago....one time and she told me that it was something everybody did. When I asked her why she had did it she told me it was because she had a fight with one of her closest friends. At the time I brought her to the Pediatrician who recommended a therapist. After two times she refused to go back. Looking back on it I should have found another therapist but she refused to want to share her feelings with a stranger. I am glad because my daughter has told me about each time she has cut.....it is usuall after a fight with friends or when she is frustrated with things at home (like when punished for not doing something or doing something wrong) She has cut two more times.....once when breaking up with a boyfriend and another when she didn't like a punishment we gave her. Afew nights ago her older sister found her attempting to cut using her earring post. It was after we had told her to do schoolwork that was overdue and that she had procrastinated on. We are still adjusting meds so I am hoping that we will find the right levels that don't knock her out and at the same tme control her need to hurt herself.

Quote:
Abilify is for the treatment of mania, it's an antipsychotic. Why did they put her on this? Celexa is an antidepressant (SSRI). As for school work,and being on meds I'm sure she doesn't care at this point if it get's done or not. She's young,and I'm sure her self esteem is low right now. Hopefully her therapist will make some sense of all of this,and give her the tools to cope. Hang in there,I'm sure your pdoc will find out soon what is going on with her.
They wanted to initially start my daughter on Celexa after one day of observation. I asked them to hold off another day because I wanted to be sure that they diagnosed her moods accurately. On admission she was angry, agitated, irritable anad depressed...the following day she was everybody's friend and skipping down the halls. So they didn't want to start an SSRI without starting a mood stabilizer which Abilify acts as. They then introduced the Celexa and are trying to increase it and hope to eventually get her totally off the Abilify. At this point her doctor is away and whenever we increase the Celexa it knocks my daughter out and causes dizziness. They halfed the doses of each and today is the first day that she seems less sedated. I am hoping that we finally are getting to a proper level. My guess is that we can go up a notch on the Celexa and have less sleepiness and eventually get off the Abilify. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Thanks for the support, it really feels great to know that you are all here.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 03-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

I could use your thoughts & prayers since my daughter has been readmitted to the hospital yesterday. She was not doing well with the Celexa and Abilify....they would sedate her and make her dizzy each time they tried to tirate her up on the Celexa and at one point she even blacked out. The Nurse Practitioner decreased her Celexa to 5mg which she was discharged a month ago on from the hospital and alson halfed her Abuify to 2.5mg which was haf the amount she was discharged home on.

The other night I noticed she was more down than usual....she was in her room right after school and despite my asking her if everything was alright she denied anything being wrong saying that she was just tired from the meds. When I went to get her for dinner she had cut up an entire school textbook.....I initially was upset at the destruction of school property but immediately apologized for my reaction when I realized that she had done it to spare herself injury. She begged me to bring her back to the hospital telling me that her thoughts of cutting herself and suicidal thoughts had increased and she was finding it difficult to control.

She was readmittted yesterday and I told the staff that the meds were not working and that I wanted her off of them since the Abilify only sedated her and had her tongue twitching and the Celexa couldn't even be increased without her passing out. They agreed and I will be speaking to the doctor this morning about the next plan.

So it seems that we are back to square one.....my daughter broke up with her boyfriend shortly after she was discharged and seems to be having a difficult time dealing with his not wanting to talk to her. This is after he called her a "prude" for not having sex with him. I know she is hurting and tell her that no boy is worth her injuring herself and that she deserves better and that I am so proud of her having good enough respect for herself to not just have sex with any boy. I know it is still a big thing to her.....I pray that we find the right med to help her through this time until she is able to acquire the coping skills she needs through therapy.

I am going to be speaking to the doctor this morning about the next step.....I just hope and pray we find the right med and that we get her home soon.....I worry about her being in the hospital & acquiring other ways of hurting hersef from others there. But I know that she needs the treatment and so I have no choice.

Any words of support will be much appreciated by this worried mom.

Thanks ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-29-2006 at 04:50 AM.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #14
(female)

Donte HB User

I'm so sorry you're going through this Goody. Sounds like they really need to get agressive with her treatment in order to help her. I hate to say it, but this behavior is not normal/typical teenage troubles. There is most definately a mood disorder and hopefully they will start treating it right away with a med that is known to help this type of disorder.

Good luck.

Closed Thread