It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

Given Up HB User
Short-term Memory Lapses

I was just wondering if anyone has any information on "bipolar memory lapses" (e.g., can't remember saying things during either up or down phases). My husband is BP and we have argued continually over things I/my daughter have heard/witnessed my husband saying/doing, but he still denies it. I can understand my husband not remembering some things, but definitely not others. I guess I was wondering how much of this is "selective memory loss" versus true memory loss. Any info would be appreciated!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

cagedbird HB User
Re: Short-term Memory Lapses

Hi Givenup... How's it going with your husband,any better? Well turns out my husband isn't bipolar but the jury came back in and said Iam! Oh well...
Before I was medicated,I had gone to a few places with my son & husband. And for the life of me I can't remember at all! I insisted I wasn't where they told me I was. But here it is 7 years later and I now have just a glimps of a memory of being at these places. So to answer you ...yes he could not remember any of it at all. hope all is ok with you,& the girls.

cagedbird

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

lynelle101 HB User

I just quickly wanted to add that i AM bipolar and do suffer memory lapses where my kids or husband will say i did something or they told me something and yet I will argue it with them but what can i do when its three of them and one of me i have to trust them I think its just part of the illness. Good luck lynelle

Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
(female)

klawk316 HB User

Before I started meds. I had a bad shorter memory and practically a none existing long term memory. Now, stable, I can't stop the long-term memory from flooding my mind. My short term has improved too, that is if I focus on what I am doing. I think instability will cause memory lapses and will improve when stable. Although, while I was reaching my ideal Lamical dose I did have scary memory issues but, that seems to have passed. Is your husband medicated? If not, should look into it.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Hi~

I totally empathize for you and your daughter. It is very frustrating for my DH when I can't remember the good memories that we've shared and places that we've been too. The worst one is our trip to Russia to get our sons for adoption. It is the most awful feeling I have because I am not able to recollect almost nothing of the two trips we made overseas and know that some day our two beautiful boys will want to ask me tons of questions about the trip and I will not be able to answer them. How humbling. It breaks my heart when I even think about it. No, it isn't selective. It is a horrible part of the meds and illness. For me, it has became worse the older I get too.

Hang in there and do what you can do to rekindle anything that will help with the memory loss. Pictures and positive story telling of 'remember when'..... Really help make a person feel good about themselves because this is a very self-concious thing I think that can happen. Also, it is very frustrating for everyone else in the family because you never know when it will occur. It is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Take care

Coffeegirl

Old 04-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
(female)

ThornyRose HB User
Angry Re: Short-term Memory Lapses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given Up
I was just wondering if anyone has any information on "bipolar memory lapses" (e.g., can't remember saying things during either up or down phases). My husband is BP and we have argued continually over things I/my daughter have heard/witnessed my husband saying/doing, but he still denies it. I can understand my husband not remembering some things, but definitely not others. I guess I was wondering how much of this is "selective memory loss" versus true memory loss. Any info would be appreciated!
I found your post very interesting, especially feeling the same way I do. I have been having these memory lapses more since on the medicines for my bipolar condition. I don't know if it's the combination of all of the different kinds,(you know, the trials and errors of what meds to use). What is even more weird is that I am the one with bipolar, but I argue with my husband all the time about his "so called" memory loss. I honestly do feel the meds have a lot to do with it. My diagnosis is BiPolar I, with rapid cycling. I have even started to notice some anxiety creeping in. I can usually remember everything I have said. What is bad with me is that sometimes I just don't care what anyone has to say for fear of raging at them.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #7

billiegail HB User

I was dx'ed with bipolar II and I have memory problems just like that of your husband and the other people that have posted. I hate it and wish that I could do something about it. My doctor says that my memory will improve when my meds have had a chance to level in my system. I wish that did not take so long, but it looks like that will be months away, if not later.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
(female)

Finding Pammie HB User
Smile Re: Short-term Memory Lapses

Hi, I'm new around here. But yes your husband could have short term memory loss. My short term memory loss comes from taking Lamictal though. But it's well worth it ,the lamictal has helped me in so many ways. My husband ask me at times "You really don't remember that"? And no it's sad to say i don't. Good Luck! Finding Pammie

Closed Thread