It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

CorinaT HB User
How happy is TOO happy? advice?

Last fall I was diagnosed as bipolar, after a MAJOR textbook manic episode. I spent 3 days in a mental hospital, and after coming home fell into a serious depression that lasted until a couple of weeks ago. I'm an artist and writer - and one night I got an idea for a new project, and all of a sudden I am happy, optimistic, outgoing, creative and all those things I had been missing about myself for so long - but my husband keeps asking me "are you SURE you are not going to be manic again?" I don't know where the "border" is - and I sure don't want to go overboard (my credit would not survive another manic episode...and my marriage neither I fear). I am religiously taking Lithium and Celexa and a small dose of Buspor which I'm fading out. I have my blood monitored, and the doctor says it's okay. I'm not against taking meds at all, and have NO intention to quit taking them, but I LOVE the way I feel right now, and I wonder whether there are ways of keeing the mania under control, other than hiding the credit card... I would appreciate any advice you have! thanks so much for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
(female)

chumley1976 HB User
Re: How happy is TOO happy? advice?

It appears you may be at a "psychological equilibrium" right now since you explained you are feeling back into life again. No. There is no guarantee that you will never have a manic episode again or when. Though, it is wonderful that you are willing to stay on your medications Good 4 U! Be careful not to get the desire to come off of the medication if you begin to experience mania since some individuals (during manic episodes) do not want to lose the feeling of grandiosity. It may be beneficial for you to begin psychotherapy in conjunction with working with your psychiatrist to come up with preventative measures that you and your husband can take so that you do not use credit cards, jeopordize your relationship, or anything else that might be unhealthy.

Last edited by chumley1976; 04-10-2006 at 01:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Re: How happy is TOO happy? advice?

I guess there are some things to watch out for, like:
Are you sleeping considerably less? Do you feel your thoughts speeding up, and it's hard to slow down?

Kathrin

Closed Thread