It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

MTB2 HB User
Q for parent's of children with BP

I am diagnosed Bipolar II. I wasn't diagnosed until I was twenty five but have been seeing therapists and psychiatrists since I was ten (mood disorder.) My questions is, what are the symptoms your children have? My four year old daughter has been uncontrollable (for lack of better descriptive) lately and I am just looking to compare and contrast with children diagnosed BP or Mood Disorder NOS. I work with children with special needs and have only seen one child with BP and his symptoms were way beyond my daughter's behaviors, with that being my only experience I am looking for more.

Thanks.

Last edited by MTB2; 04-10-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
(female)

novmom HB User
Re: Q for parent's of children with BP

Quick rundown on what we saw with our son....

He would go through periods of hyperactivity. He would literally be bouncing off the walls and no punishment that was tried worked. You'd say stop, he'd turn around and do it again, you ask him what you just said and he'd say he couldn't remember.

Not sleeping well. He'll wake in the middle of the night and be up for the rest of the night until bedtime the following night.

He complained frequently of bad dreams, although he only has remembered one....and in that dream he said I came into his room, turned into a monster and ate him. But the doc said it's normal at his age to not remember what the bad dream was.

He would have these meltdowns. Where he'd be fine one minute and then a blubbering mess the next minute. Whatever triggerd him to cry uncontrollably, we never know. Just one minute he's happy, the next minute he's crying uncontrollably for 30/45 mins.

He's 5. He's also on depakote....his official diagnosis was mood disorder NOS. We're trying to get back into the doctor though because his symptoms are starting to come back in spite of the medicine.

I'm heading off to bed....but wanted to add a couple that were the most common things we were going through. There's more, but I'd have to rack my brain for them and my brains a little mush right now. Didn't want your post to go w/ no reponses!

Hope this helps some.
3 yr old daughter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

April Duncan HB User

My son is also 5 and dx Bipolar. He has terrible meltdowns that (without meds) can last anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours long. When he is depressed he is EXTREMELY WHINEY and irritable. Just about anything or nothing can set him off into a rage, even when on meds. My son is also very hyper but unfortunatly I can do nothing for it because he tends to get much worse when on Stimulants. Also unfortunatly, Jace is I guess very hypersexual. I have to watch him close when it comes to that kinda thing. He also complains about headaches when he gets in the depresive state. He is a very cute kind child that can turn off the charm with a drop of a hat! he is REALLY something else!
Hope I helped! See ya and good luck!

Old 04-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

It's wise of you to keep watch out for possible bipolar symptoms in your daughter, especially since you're bipolar yourself and bipolar disorder is one of the most genetically-linked of all the mental illnesses. Anyway, just be sure not to rule out the probability of Asperger's if your daughter is exhibiting symptoms as those described by novmom and she also has obsessive-compulsive traits. Bipolar children will almost always show some sort of manic symptoms, including delusions or hypersexuality. I have Asperger's (as well as OCD), and was only diagnosed a few months ago; however, I was put on Lamictal this past fall (which has done wonders for me) because my psychiatrist, PCP, and myself suspected possible cyclothymia, but I've learned that all of my bipolar-ish symptoms are due to the Asperger's because my mood swings are related to sensory issues and aren't cyclical in nature. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 04-15-2006 at 09:56 AM.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

MTB2 HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I'll just have to watch and take some action when I think our only option is getting a diagnoses and treatment. She has a lot of the same symptoms they just don't seem as severe as what I have seen and what some of you have described. She definitely has the hypersexuality but again not super extreme, she has the VERY whiney swing to very iritable, energetic and aggressive all at the same time....I just don't know if I would classify them as meltdowns. I have seen what you are all talking about when you say meltdowns and hers are not like that. My biggest concern, I guess, is that I always thought these behaviors were the terrible twos but she started them at one and is getting worse at four, that just seems off to me. I am also afraid I may be minimizing or exaggerating it because of my diagnoses! Any suggestions on what you all would do from here?

GatsbyLuvr, I am actually pretty familiar with the Autism Spectrum and she doesn't appear to fit into a class with develpmental delay, she has actually always been above average in development socially and intelectually. I do however see some possible OCD behaviors (no offense but I REALLY hope she isn't OCD!) She doesn't deal well with change, has a fixation with the number six and a fixation on time even though she can't tell time. We just do a lot of exposure with her, "no I am not going to tell you want time it is you don't even know what it means" (this would be after the tenth time she's asked in the last five minutes) or we force her to choose a different number besides six, she does pretty well though so I don't know.

Any suggestions about what I should do would be helpful, even for those of you who aren't parents of BP children. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
(female)

novmom HB User

Quote:
fixation on time even though she can't tell time.
Does she often ask you, "What time will we get to ________?" type questions??

That just stuck out to me, because my son does that A LOT. I remember telling the doctor that he has a weird obession with time.

I know that with the testing that they did on my son, they told me that he had to be at least 5 to do them. They waited until the week after his 5th birthday to do them. So maybe just watch your daughter for now?? I'm not sure....just thinking out loud. Not sure how other doctor's do it...maybe it was just the psychologists that we went to's preference.

I've always noticed something "different" about my son. He was about 3 when he started getting worse. I remember sitting in the peds office for a checkup with my daughter and the ped asked me..."does he always act that way?" I told him, we have our moments..it comes and goes, but pretty much yes. He told me that at his next check up it would have to be something to look into closer. So that's when it kind of opened my eyes.

I find that when I describe him to people I always say.....he's not a bad child. He's just difficult. And that's just the best way to describe him. I have seen children that just are down right bad. And that isn't how my son is....again he's just difficult.

Something else about my son is that he has always been very smart. He blows people away when he talks. He has a very large vocabulary and speaks wonderfully. He also knew his colors and shapes before he was even a year old. He could recognize his name written out at probably a year and a half. Oh, I remember he was about a year old and he was pointing at # signs in Target naming them off and the cashier was standing there with her mouth hanging open (we were too...LOL). He knew his alphabet when he was a year and a half. My daughter is 2.5 now and she doesn't even do an eighth of these things. It's just amazing to me.

Anyways...sorry to babble on... I just started thinking of more stuff. Good luck with your daughter!!! ((hugs))
3 yr old daughter

Old 04-16-2006, 04:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

novmom- You still might want to check out Asperger's, especially since you mentioned that your son is very advanced academically, and that he has a precocious vocabulary. The "meltdowns" may be a sign of Asperger's rather than bipolar disorder. You mentioned that he has always seemed "different." Very common in Asperger's. We're noticeably "quirky." Oh, forgot to mention- I had obsessions with time as a child as well. One that I can clearly remember was when I was seven: every day at recess, I'd continually go ask the recess monitor what time it was, fearing that my class had already gone inside, I was late, and that I would get in trouble. I must've asked at least five times each recess- I'll bet that woman hated me! lol! Feel free to ask any questions if need be! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 04-16-2006 at 04:17 AM.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #8
(female)

novmom HB User

Sorry it took so long to respond....It's been a whirlwind here lately. And been speaking to the docs nearly every day for the past week regarding my boy. Wow.....

Actually, I orginally suspected Sensory Integration or Asperger's or SOMETHING other than bipolar. And those were the first things they tested him for. They ruled out the Asperger's right away. I went ahead and double checked w/ the doctor's when talking to them this week and they said that he's definately not that.

I've had a psychologist, psychiatrist, pediatrician and a friend who is a doctor who writes studies (one being on bipolar) all say this is what is going on.
3 yr old daughter

Closed Thread