It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

Amel198728 HB User
depressed and uninsured

Hey all-this is my first post just to let everyone know. I was diagnosed with bipolar II about 4 years ago, and haven't done the best job of dealing with it. I haven't had insurance for the past year and a half, and have been off my meds for that long as well. I feel like I'm at a stand still because I don't have any insurance whatsoever. My job offers it, but I'm in school and can't afford it. I've been having episodes for a couple of months, but am trying my hardest to just tell myself that I can deal with it on my own. However, as many of you probably know, that's easier said than done. It's been affecting my relationships and my overall look on life lately. I'm just mentally exhausted right now and am really trying to explore my options with the whole insurance thing. Anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

~*amelia*~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bpd_bipolar HB User
Re: depressed and uninsured

It isn't easy. I am on Medicade and Medicare (I am disabled due to my illness). There has to be a program out there that can help you with your meds and with seeing a doctor. So look in th phone book and see if there is a help section for a job and family services type place.

There should be and if not, call up the drug companies that make the meds you are supposed to be on, they have programs to help out people that have low incomes.

Call around for help, talk to the people that take most of your money........the goverment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

I was also going to suggest the programs drug companies have for people who can't afford medication.
First you need to know what meds you need to be on though!
Are there any free clinics you can go to?

And if you are going through an acute crisis, especially if you feel suicidal, go to the nearest ER! They have to treat you.

Kathrin

Old 04-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

MTB2 HB User

I would contact your previous psychiatrist or your regular physician, they may be able to help you with sample packs until you are able to find an alternative.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

Apply for Medicare. That is what I am doing. I can't be in school because of my illness, so my insurance under my parents will run out soon. I can't work, so I won't be able to pay for my own insurance. Medicare seems to me to be the best option.

Closed Thread