It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

oxindenial HB User
Talking New to this.

Hi, I am new to posting on a board and new to confronting my illness. I was diagnosed as bipolar in my earlier twenties. Back then I partied alot and drank too much and hung out with the wrong crowd. I couldn't find my identity. Then the episodes began. It was so terrible the way all of my friendships seemed to disintigrate, and no amount of alchohol or drugs would help.
Towards my late twenties, I decided to get close to family I hadn't been around in years. So I moved to be close to them and get my life back on track. Being in a small college town, I thought I could start going to college and get things figured out. I thought as long as I stayed away from drugs and alchohol I would be alright. But it isn't so. I couldn't stay away from them because I felt lonely and quick and easy friendships arose from them.
I crashed again into another episode. My family is very concerned and worried, and I don't know how to communicate to them without feeling deep regret for the pains I have caused them. It feels like I am trapped by my own illness and deceit. Thankfully, they still love me and I love them and I am continuing on. I started taking the medication again, and thankfully I still have a job.
But I feel alone. I suppose because of our illness it's hard for us to form support groups that meet, and maybe that's for the best. But I suppose I need to hear from people that share my frustrations and problems, and I want to share some of the tools I have found in dealing with my illness. I hope the best for us all.

oxindenial

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bpd_bipolar HB User
Re: New to this.

Hi. I see my psychiatrist 2 times a month and they also had group meetings, so I used to go to those once a week back a few years ago.

See if your psychiatrist has a group meeting that they hold up where you go to. If they don't, then suggest maybe they should. They should use a book by Marsha Linehan to teach from, it will teach skills to use when you are having episodes and even when you are not so you may be able to prevent them. They are useful skills. Along with my meds and with seeing my doc 2 times a month, those skills I still use. They don't stop things, but it helps.

If you want, I can have my doc give your doc the info. about the books and how to get them.

In any case, it is good that you are taking your meds and that you have family that love you and are supporting you.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

Hello and welcome aboard!

Mudhound

Old 04-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
(male)

oxindenial HB User

Thanks mudhound and bpd bipolar. Because I don't have health insurance right now, I'm going to the clinic to get meds and counseling. But I will have to pick up that book. I appreciate the reply.

oxindenial

Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bpd_bipolar HB User

The book I only think psychiatrists can get to teach the skills, I am not sure if you can pick it up for yourself. A doctor's office might need to order it.

Next time I see my doc I will ask what book and what more advice I should relay to you on theat subject. He might know of a good book that you can get that relates to Marsha's teachings.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
(male)

oxindenial HB User

thanks again bpd bipolar. I believe I am type 2. When I go to the clinic tommorow, I'll be sure to ask about skill building tools. I appreciate it.

oxindenial

Old 04-13-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bpd_bipolar HB User

Not a problem. Any help I can give is something I will do.........

Closed Thread