It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

BP_Puff&Stuff HB User
Get This!

I was on the phone with my sister last night explaining the new medication I was on. I was explaining to her that I went to my pdoc looking for a medication that will help me calm my racing thoughts during the day and put me to sleep at night. In the middle of the conversation my sister says to me, "Can't you just breathe? Like take deep breaths to calm yourself. You should do Yoga. I bet if you do, you won't even need any medicine at all." I responded with, "The professionals have given me Lithium, Klonopin, and now Neurontin and you think I should just breathe?!?"
How does everyone elses family react?

Old 04-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Get This!

much the same here too. the wife's mother is so !!!!!!!!!!
it is hard to understand.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
(female)

sarahbear2555 HB User

Hey I get the same crap. It sucks cause everyone is telling you that it's all just in your head and it's not. You know how you feel when you take your meds and when you don't. It happens to me to, you're not alone.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

novmom HB User

We've had both ends of the spectrum. But our problem is that my son (with the mood disorder) is only five. So when people find out they are very shocked. My brother (who I'm sure is bipolar), thinks that it's all in our head and that his behavior would be controled better if we just gave him a little love. Our son is very loved. My brother also does not believe in medication and when he found out our son was started on something, boy did I get a lecture. I ended up hanging up on him. This is coming from a guy that tells me that the only time he feels "normal" is when he's had quite a few beers because it makes his mind actually slow down for once (uhm, self medicating anyone?).

My mom is convinced that my son is just diabetic. My sister is diabetic and can be very moody at times when her sugar is out of wack, so this is where my mom gets that thinking from....but we've ruled this out already so I know its not that. Everytime we have a convo about my son she brings this up. I tell her over and over he's been tested for that already...but it's like talking to a brick wall. I don't think I have told her that he is on a medicine.

My dad and that side of the family has been wonderful. I have not heard a negative thing from anyone.

Work has been wonderful and understanding. My supervisor actually kind of gave me that extra push to finally get him into the doctor, because I would come into work totally stressed out...crying...etc. They have been bending over backwards for me.

My mother in law, we have not mentioned anything to her about it yet. I'm afraid to. She tends to take something small and magnify it by 1000. So I know this would not go over well. She also works for a doctor so she likes to take our medical problems & discuss it with the doctors. And I really do not want to hear anything that would make us feel bad about our decisions, kwim? I have done lots and lots of research since it was orginally brought up that I thought my eyes were going to bleed. LOL So at this point am comfortable with what we are doing.
3 yr old daughter

Last edited by novmom; 04-14-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Closed Thread